equality blooms with spring - Page 28 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #406
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:42 AM
This thread just made me feel like I'm a time traveling Lost character.

Quick-someone detonate the bomb

I'm a Virgo

Old 05-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #407
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post

a slippery slope argument, indeed.

you're right -- we get all paranoid about men marrying gay goats or an entire colony of ants because Adam and Steve can get married in most of New England. i see no reason why divorce shouldn't be the same thing. we know it's bad for children, so in order to protect children, we must prevent the divorce from happening. what would send a stronger message about the value we place on the ideal, sacred family structure of one man/one woman bonded for life than the taking of the life of those that violate that sacred family structure?

none of this, of course, is actually misogynist at it's core and obsessed with the sexual control of women, and that sexual control is violated in a gay couple when at least one of the men (shock! horror!) assumes the (weak, female, dirty) position.

maybe those Taliban are on to something! and those Shiite clerics in Iraq. it makes perfect sense to glue shut the anuses of gay men. got to teach them that they're men, right? it's all about the promotion of an ideal, right?

speaking of which, let's also stop men and women from having anal sex. that's not the ideal, right? that's not what the anus is "for," right? and, likewise, let's clamp down on oral sex.

again, not the ideal. it's best to make all but the ideal illegal, since we want to promote ideals.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #408
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:42 AM
Quote:
Anyway, some of us aren't looking for more "instruments of law," just a rollback to a modicum of societal disapproval with a smidgen of shame thrown in when it comes to divorce and out-of-wedlock births.
Some of us aren't looking for more "intelligent answers," just a rollback to a modicum of societal disapproval with a smidgen of shame thrown in when it comes to ignorance and hypocrisy.

Why should I feel shame when I played no part in my divorce? How is society to judge me when they have no clue as to what exactly happened? I put 110% into my marriage and I realized that my 110% will only ever be 50% of the marriage, I cannot make up for the other person's lack of participation. Unless of course you think we should go back to the days where the woman can't divorce the husband. This is something YOU and those that believe like you do will never understand, yet you still insist to implement your ignorance.

Do you honestly believe your god is going to judge me for something I had no power over? But given your responses over the years, I'm guessing you do. You like your neat little boxes, and anything outside those boxes you want to ban or force shame upon.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #409
Blue Crack Addict

I guess people not fitting into neat little boxes is just another consequence of the current of pop culture
Old 05-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #410
Blue Crack Supplier

i'd also like to point out that the state with the lowest divorce rate is ... Massachusetts.

it's the more culturally conservative, Bible Belt states that have much higher divorce rates.

it seems that the belief that "popular culture" and not economics, or getting married or pregnant too young, is the cause of divorce is, itself, a form of prejudice.

the studies in the Netherlands and Sweden bear this out. it's not the "traditional family" that's the constant in the success, or not, of a child. it's the security of that family that's raising the child, whether a married man and woman, an unmarried man or woman, a single parent, or a gay couple.

again, it's content, and not form, that matters.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #411
Refugee

Local Time: 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500
the future potential consequences of redefining marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
Which are what if I may ask?
INDY, this was an honest question...what are the potential consequences?
Old 05-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #412
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliEnvy View Post
INDY, this was an honest question...what are the potential consequences?

maybe divorce and out-of-wedlock rates in the liberal states will rise so that they are as high as they are in the conservative states?

Old 05-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #413
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:42 AM
whoops, never mind.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #414
She's the One

ok
Old 05-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #415
Blue Crack Distributor

Yes, it's from last year - sorry sorry sorry!

I found the story on another site, posted it here, went back to read comments on the other site and saw the comments full of "this is from 2008."

I hoped no one saw it before I edited the post.

BAH.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #416
She's the One

It was fun while it lasted.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #417
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
On Thursday, Uruguayan President Tabare Vazquez announced that his government will “allow gays to join the armed forces by scrapping military rules that define homosexuality as a disorder.” Vazquez explained his decision saying, “The Uruguayan government does not discriminate against citizens based on their political, ethnic or sexual identity.”

Uruguay leading by example.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #418
She's the One

Damn.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #419
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
She told her diverse East Dallas congregation that homosexuality is not a big issue in the Bible and that Christians should be more focused on subjects such as health care, greed in the corporate world, and the welfare of children.
East Dallas Methodist pastor counters First Baptist sermon with 'Why Gay Is OK' message | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Latest News

As a side note, this reminded me of something I heard today, something that really perplexed me.

A Notre Dame alumni called into Rush today and said he was there at the commencement speech that Obama gave and said he was very conflicted that his daughter was going to Notre Dame, not just because Obama was allowed to give the speech but that the school in general was focusing too much on "social justice", "giving to the poor", and that "healthcare was a moral issue"... it saddened me that this man actually thought these things were actually contradictory to the Bible. It makes me wonder what Bible he's reading...
Old 05-19-2009, 01:01 AM   #420
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i'd also like to point out that the state with the lowest divorce rate is ... Massachusetts.

it's the more culturally conservative, Bible Belt states that have much higher divorce rates.
Meaningless.

Is that divorces per marriage or divorces per population? The divorce rate in Nevada per marriage is off the chart low... because everyone goes there to get married but gets divorced back home. If per population, then a state with a lower marriage rate would be expected to have an equally lower divorce rate. What is the marriage rate in Massachusetts compared to "Bible-belt states"?
Rates of divorce would also be affected by racial make-up, median age of first marriage, divorce laws and other factors.

You'll have to put your stats into context before I'll extrapolate any political meaning from them.