equality blooms with spring - Page 22 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2009, 07:58 AM   #316
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
"Miss California lost a beauty pageant for giving the same answer to a question that Barack Obama won the presidency with."
-- Dennis Miller

So why don't y'all go ask President Obama why he thinks marriage should be reserved for a man and a women. Maybe he can succeed where I must obviously fail. You voted for the homophobe after all.

Welcome to the White House
Yeah.

So.

You still haven't answered any questions, but now you've got a new dodge: quoting famous people.

Oh, and blaming the liberal media.
__________________

__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #317
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Yeah.

So.

You still haven't answered any questions, but now you've got a new dodge: quoting famous people.

Oh, and blaming the liberal media.
Baloney. I've been here almost 4 years and we've had numerous same-sex marriage threads. I've tried and obviously not been up to the task.
So seriously. Go ask The One.
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #318
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Go ask The One.
I will. And I'll get a different answer than you wiil.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #319
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Most people in the entertainment industry (outside of Nashville) probably do support same-sex marriage as they skew heavily liberal on all issues. But clearly there is "pressure" to stay quite or not dissent on this issue.

That isn't right. And it's not only this issue. How is the military, faith and big business portrayed all too often for example.

They turn many away (and therefor lose a great deal of business) with their condescension, heavy handedness and lopsidedness on these issues. Newspapers, news magazines and much of the MSM is making the same financial miscalculation as they throw objectivity out the window.

And as someone who studies the history of movies I'm very aware that, until recently, homosexuals -- to the extent they were even acknowledged -- were almost exclusively portrayed in a negative light.

My point is not a pity party but this. Is it any doubt Americans under 30 support same-sex marriage when they are offered no other POV? Parents or pastors you say. Well they're adults and since when did anyone under 30 think they had a clue?
Wow, talk about a dodge, twist, and pity party all rolled into one. Not one word about Savage? You make such a deal about a blogger turned contestant judge but when it's your own ilk you can't defend?

Your under 30 "observation" can go both ways. Did that even dawn on you? I mean seriously, did you even read what you were writing?

I think your "observation" is quite humerous... So we should go back to the days when homos, black people, jews, etc were all portrayed poorly?

I think that most under 30 will support gay marriage for many reason, very few of which have anything to do with what you talk about. It has to do with many actually know someone who is out and they realized :shock: they are just like you and I, they've seen straight generations before them screw up the sanctity of marriage so they don't buy into that lie, and all in all just believe in equality more than you do.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #320
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,475
Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Most people in the entertainment industry (outside of Nashville) probably do support same-sex marriage as they skew heavily liberal on all issues. But clearly there is "pressure" to stay quite or not dissent on this issue.

That isn't right. And it's not only this issue. How is the military, faith and big business portrayed all too often for example.

then maybe conservatives need to make more movies.

you'll forgive me if i don't feel much sympathy that some feel "pressure" not to advertise their prejudices with others who don't share them. the reason why people in the entertainment industry tend to be liberal at least on this issue -- they're pretty conservative when it comes to making money -- is because there are lots and lots and lots of gay people in the entertainment industry. it's kind of like being a racist in the NBA.

if Miss California had expressed an openly racist, misogynist, anti-semetic, or anti-American position, she would also have not won the pageant.





Quote:
They turn many away (and therefor lose a great deal of business) with their condescension, heavy handedness and lopsidedness on these issues. Newspapers, news magazines and much of the MSM is making the same financial miscalculation as they throw objectivity out the window.

trotting out the "liberal media" card is very 1993. this only seems to happen when there's a Democrat in the White House.



Quote:
And as someone who studies the history of movies I'm very aware that, until recently, homosexuals -- to the extent they were even acknowledged -- were almost exclusively portrayed in a negative light.

yes, this is very true. and this is why organizations like GLAAD exist. and my hope is that they cease to be useful, that there's no longer a need for sucha n organization.


Quote:
My point is not a pity party but this. Is it any doubt Americans under 30 support same-sex marriage when they are offered no other POV? Parents or pastors you say. Well they're adults and since when did anyone under 30 think they had a clue?

offered no other POV? first of all -- do we need another POV on anti-semitism? should we just nod our heads when Iran (or Mel Gibson) denies the existence of the Holocaust and say, "well, this is just another point-of-view, they're entitled to their opinion on historical facts because we have Freedom Of Speech in this country."



Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
So why don't y'all go ask President Obama why he thinks marriage should be reserved as between a man and a women. Maybe he can succeed where I must obviously fail. You voted for the homophobe after all.

Welcome to the White House

while i think Obama is a coward on this issue -- i expect him to change his position after being re-elected in 2012 -- he has called for the repeal of DOMA, for federal recognition of SS couples, and he expressed support against Proposition 8.

certainly better than the GOP alternative, and certainly more comprehensive than the answer that Miss California was able to give (though she didn't have much time).

also -- doesn't it say something to you that Perez Hilton -- Perez Hilton! -- is all you have right now?

it seems like all the legal arguments have been lost. Maggie Gallagher is now going for "religious discrimination" because everyone knows the incest/man-on-goat hysteria is entirely bogus.

the argument is winding down.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #321
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,979
Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
Everytime anyone gives Perez Hilton any attention, an angel gets its wings ripped off. I can't believe he's become some sort of spokesperson for this story - it makes me want to bang my head against a sharp, immobile object.
Same here. He's gay and that's the only reason I give him any reason to be any sort of spokesperson. Donald Trump sure does know what he's doing though.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #322
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
while i think Obama is a coward on this issue -- i expect him to change his position after being re-elected in 2012 --
A tad optimistic don't ya think? But I too expect, after no longer having to face an electorate, Obama to jettison his current view on gay marriage. Right along with "95% of you will see not a dime of tax increases."
Quote:
also -- doesn't it say something to you that Perez Hilton -- Perez Hilton! -- is all you have right now?
Perez Hilton. As I say, never heard of the guy until this week. I only bring it up because one side responds in favor of traditional marriage (with the caveat of an apology no less ), and the response? Slurs and incredulity that anyone in the 21st century could still believe such a thing. Been there, done that, I guess.
Quote:
the argument is winding down.
AIDS had an enormous affect on the homosexual population, one being it taught you how to play the game of politics. From this came the push for hospital visitation rights, healthcare coverage for domestic partners and other legal protections. Frankly, 98% of us hadn't given much thought to the need for such rights but (regardless of what you may have heard), Americans are a compassionate people. We agreed. Thus was born the idea of civil unions. Are you with me so far?

However, without really even giving the concept a chance to work and now emboldened, came the cry for same-sex marriage. "No second class citizenship." But asking for recognition as equals under the law and recognition as equals in functionality are two different requests. "We're here and we're queer." seemingly replaced overnight by "Hey, we're just like you." Now which is it because it seems to me it can't be both?

Rock n Roll started out as a noisy rebel out on the fringes of "normal" society too. And what did mainstream acceptance do to it? It killed it. RIP It couldn't be both either as guaranteed sales trumped originality and image became more important than talent. The lyrics in my sig, sadly, now used to market Burger King double-cheeseburgers.

Hollywood and the MSM doesn't share values. TV doesn't cater to me because at 49 I'm outside their demographics. The less said about hip-hop the better. I'm officially non persona in the world of pop culture.
Cool, I'm back to being the rebel. Now where is my Zep 4 album as "it's been a long time since I did the stroll."
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #323
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,475
Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
A tad optimistic don't ya think? But I too expect, after no longer having to face an electorate, Obama to jettison his current view on gay marriage. Right along with "95% of you will see not a dime of tax increases."

i don't think it's much of a secret that most Democrats are probably personally in favor of gay marriage and are just waiting until it's not politically ruinous to do so. and it isn't, anymore, at least in the northeast. and let's see how Gavin Newsom does running for Gov of CA.

it might be a tad optimistic for the president, but by 2015, you'll see the northeast and all of the West Coast treating gay couples equally under the law.



Quote:
Perez Hilton. As I say, never heard of the guy until this week. I only bring it up because one side responds in favor of traditional marriage (with the caveat of an apology no less ), and the response? Slurs and incredulity that anyone in the 21st century could still believe such a thing. Been there, done that, I guess
.


we have an idiot celebrity gossip monger who no one likes, you have Fred Phelps. if we want to play this game.


Quote:
AIDS had an enormous affect on the homosexual population, one being it taught you how to play the game of politics. From this came the push for hospital visitation rights, healthcare coverage for domestic partners and other legal protections. Frankly, 98% of us hadn't given much thought to the need for such rights but (regardless of what you may have heard), Americans are a compassionate people. We agreed. Thus was born the idea of civil unions. Are you with me so far?

yes, INDY, i'm with you. you're also -- generally -- historically accurate. gays learned that they needed legal rights to prevent angry, vindictive parents from swooping in and seizing a lifetime of shared assets if one partner died, or preventing a partner from visiting the other in a hospital.

you realize, though, that civil unions, while certainly the mainstream position, are anathema to many in the GOP. and while many gays, such as myself, would take what we can get, the evolving discussion surrounding civil unions -- which were radical for VT as recent as 2001, i believe -- has gotten to a point where the very correct observation has been made that they're the very definition of "separate but equal," which as we know is unconstitutional. and many gay people are rejecting the internalized homophobia that we grew up with and are saying that our lives are every bit as worthy as anyone else's. this is easier for the kids today, as homophobia has lessened over the decades -- though queers are still bashed regularly -- but it's still a relatively new thing, for gays as well as straights, this notion of equality.


Quote:
However, without really even giving the concept a chance to work and now emboldened, came the cry for same-sex marriage. "No second class citizenship." But asking for recognition as equals under the law and recognition as equals in functionality are two different requests. "We're here and we're queer." seemingly replaced overnight by "Hey, we're just like you." Now which is it because it seems to me it can't be both?
we're one but we're not the same? that's been around since 1991.

there's been an evolution, in the minds of gays as well, that has gone from, "i am different, i am gay, there is nothing wrong with me," to "i am gay, i am equal to you." that even mirrors the coming out process.

but i don't understand why this is so difficult to grasp. the fact that homosexuality is exactly the same as heterosexuality, except for the fact that the attraction is for the same gender. like, that's it. it's a step-by-step process, and while we could say that the pace of political change is fast, i don't think it's a concept that's all that difficult to grasp.

the fact that you can't come up with a difference between Irvine/Memphis and Martha/Steve is indicative, to me, of prejudice.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #324
Refugee
 
Bluer White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,883
Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
My point is not a pity party but this. Is it any doubt Americans under 30 support same-sex marriage when they are offered no other POV? Parents or pastors you say.
A person can easily find whatever point of view he wants to find. This is the information age, right?


This under 30 year-old thinks an American taxpayer should be allowed to engage in a marriage contract with (one) other consenting adult. Civil unions would be fine too, but I do see the 'separate but equal' argument and don't think it's worth the energy to debate.
__________________
Bluer White is online now  
Old 04-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #325
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,279
Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
My point is not a pity party but this. Is it any doubt Americans under 30 support same-sex marriage when they are offered no other POV? Parents or pastors you say. Well they're adults and since when did anyone under 30 think they had a clue?
I am part of this demographic for only 6 more months, but frankly, there isn't another "POV" necessary. People of my age grew up knowing openly gay people, I have many gay friends, I once upon a time had an openly lesbian roommate, and I love all of them dearly. I see no difference between them and myself and likewise, there should be no difference under the law. We have grown up watching these people's relationships long enough to know that it isn't what's between your legs that determines longevity or mutual respect for one another, and therefore there IS NO OTHER point of view for us, because it's simply not supported by our lifelong experiences.

I have no idea why and how the ability of two men down the street to marry has anything at all to do with you. There are now multiple countries in the world where this has been going on for years, they haven't spontaneously burst into flames and absolutely nothing has changed there for the vast majority (heterosexuals). But you either discount this, or don't believe it, or simply don't care, because at the end of the day, it's your country that's exceptional.
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 04-23-2009, 06:45 PM   #326
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddamn place
Posts: 42,334
Local Time: 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Rock n Roll started out as a noisy rebel out on the fringes of "normal" society too. And what did mainstream acceptance do to it? It killed it.

There's plenty of excellent rock and roll around now.

I'm glad I'm not as old as you.
__________________
martha is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #327
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Cool, I'm back to being the rebel.
This new season of Fox brings you:

'The Status Quo Rebel'

starring new comer, INDY500.

This aging conservative tries to find his place in 2009 society surrounded by liberal media, liberal government, liberal youth, liberal armchairs, liberal cars, and even liberal churches as he longs for the romanticized Leave it to Beaver days. You thought Archie Bunker was a hoot, wait till you see the zany adventures of this guy as he grumbles his way through an evolving society. How does he deal with his teenage daughter who wants to get an energy saving car, his son that told the Jewish boy "happy holidays", or Frank his openly gay neighbor?

Tune in on Monday nights 8/7c on Fox.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 04-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #328
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
This new season of Fox brings you:

'The Status Quo Rebel'

starring new comer, INDY500.

This aging conservative tries to find his place in 2009 society surrounded by liberal media, liberal government, liberal youth, liberal armchairs, liberal cars, and even liberal churches as he longs for the romanticized Leave it to Beaver days. You thought Archie Bunker was a hoot, wait till you see the zany adventures of this guy as he grumbles his way through an evolving society. How does he deal with his teenage daughter who wants to get an energy saving car, his son that told the Jewish boy "happy holidays", or Frank his openly gay neighbor?

Tune in on Monday nights 8/7c on Fox.
I'm pumped already. Nice to be a lead in to Monday Night Football but don't you think my demo is going to be watching The Factor at 8 pm?

24 episode guarantee, merchandising rights to all catchphrases, a hot TV wife, Real Wild Child by Iggy Pop as the theme song, and one episode featuring an evil twin are all nonnegotiable.

Anyway, have your people get in touch with my people and we'll work out the details.

Ciao
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 04-23-2009, 07:57 PM   #329
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,667
Local Time: 07:52 PM
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 04-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #330
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVS View Post
Pilot episode: Water-bored

With Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Rice found guilty of war crimes and killed weeks ago, Indy grows tired of the televised executions of Bush Administration under-secretaries, attorneys, speech writers and chauffeurs. So he decides to take the family to Disneyland for the day. Only to find out it's Gay Day at the amusement park. "Quick kids, we'll be safe in Frontierland," shouts Indy (as played by Nicolas Cage). Newcomer Carrie Prejean (Miss California) plays Indy's hot TV wife.
Hi-jinx and hilarity are sure to ensue.

Special Guest Star: Sean Penn as Peter Pan
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com