equality blooms with spring - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #286
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Bill Hicks or phillyfan?

You are not from Indiana then?
Bill Hicks. I graduated in Houston and went to college in Oklahoma. Used to see Bill all the time at a comedy club in Houston.
Like Sir Bono, I don't pretend to agree with him on everything but I feel like I know where they are coming from. It's an end-of-the-babyboomer-thing.

Can't say the same of our president (same age group) however, but then he wasn't raised in the states.
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 04-21-2009, 11:55 PM   #287
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Do you have a preference between 'Daddy’s New Roommate' and 'Heather Has Two Mommies'?
But the reason that joke is funny is because it's coming from someone who isn't against gay rights.
__________________

__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 04-21-2009, 11:57 PM   #288
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:08 PM
YouTube - Late Show With David Letterman Part 3 of 3 Bill Hicks remembered with mother Mary Hicks 2009 01 30

For context, the joke happens at 3:30 in this clip.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #289
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,277
Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

Can't say the same of our president (same age group) however, but then he wasn't raised in the states.
Yeah, those 4 years he spent living abroad changed everything.
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #290
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
But the reason that joke is funny is because it's coming from someone who isn't against gay rights.
Sam Kinison was just as funny and brutal on Christians but when he told AIDS and gerbil jokes...gays got mad. So maybe you're right. Yet what does it say that something is funny only when offered by someone you agree with politically or socially?
Ironically Sam started in the same club in Houston and also tragically died young.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:16 AM   #291
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Yeah, those 4 years he spent living abroad changed everything.
Are you talking about his Harvard Law school years?
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #292
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Sam Kinison was just as funny and brutal on Christians but when he told AIDS and gerbil jokes...gays got mad. So maybe you're right. Yet what does it say that something is funny only when offered by someone you agree with politically or socially?
Ironically Sam started in the same club in Houston and also tragically died young.
It has nothing to do with me, it has to do with him. I'm saying that if he was a homophobe saying that, the entire context would be different: Bill is mocking the hypocrisy of people with that viewpoint by saying that.

But, again, we're straying off topic. You and I are engaged in a debate about comedic values while serious questions about your argument are being raised.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #293
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 30,343
Local Time: 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Are you talking about his Harvard Law school years?
Witty.

He did live for four years in Indonesia ... gonna go out on a limb and say maybe that's what she's referring to.
__________________
phillyfan26 is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 AM   #294
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 11:08 PM
Kinison was himself a former evangelical preacher and evangelicals aren't a historically marginalized group in our country; the context is quite different.

But back to the question...
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #295
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Witty.

He did live for four years in Indonesia ... gonna go out on a limb and say maybe that's what she's referring to.

Well, Bono didn't come to America until 1980 I'm guessing. So maybe Jenene Garofalo (a strikingly unfunny Bill Hicks protogé) is right and I don't "get" President Obama because I'm a racist.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #296
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Kinison was himself a former evangelical preacher and evangelicals aren't a historically marginalized group in our country; the context is quite different.

That's my point. In the 80's and early 90's these guys were originals.

Now evangelicals and fundamentalists are the fodder for every comic and, at least in pop culture, marginalized while homosexuals are the verboten target (unless you're for gay rights, same-sex marriage and-all-that of course, then you can poke a little fun.)

Nobody tells Mohammed jokes however.
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #297
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
But, again, we're straying off topic. You and I are engaged in a debate about comedic values while serious questions about your argument are being raised.
Let's wait and see if anyone here raises "serious questions" about same-sex marriage.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~nhi708/classi...ta/cricket.wav
__________________
INDY500 is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #298
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 11:08 PM
Such as? What might a criticism of forbidding same-sex marriage that's worthy of an earnest response from your purportedly sadly marginalized standpoint look like? Is there such a thing? (And if not, why are you bothering to participate in this discussion?)
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 04-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #299
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,662
Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Let's wait and see if anyone here raises "serious questions" about same-sex marriage.

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/~nhi708/classi...ta/cricket.wav
I've never seen a serious question to be honest?

I see: will it lead to marrying goats?

Why change a definiton of a word(despite the fact that it's already been changed several time but we'll ignore that)?

But but what about my religious freedom? I.E. If they are legal will I still be able to deny them service?

I find it puzzling that you even think you've ever raised a legitimate argument in this debate... Status quo, definitions, procreation, religious freedom; they've all had holes poked in them from the very beginning, and quite easily.

So if the debate will continue the way it has for years then I predict that we won't see any serious questions regarding gay marriage, because honestly there aren't any... The sooner that is recognized the sooner we can evolve as a society... uh oh I shouldn't have said 'evolve', that's a bad word.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 AM   #300
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The American Resistance
Posts: 4,754
Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Such as? What might a criticism of forbidding same-sex marriage that's worthy of an earnest response from your purportedly sadly marginalized standpoint look like? Is there such a thing? (And if not, why are you bothering to participate in this discussion?)
I like to be challenged. Which is why I found Bill Hicks refreshing... 20 years ago. Now the challenge for a comic in the 21st century would be "to be openly evangelical or conservative" and still be popular.
Can you think of any? Or recent TV or movie characters shown in a positive light?

Which is why, I suppose, this Miss USA contestant felt the need, in the middle of her answer, to apologize for her beliefs.
__________________

__________________
INDY500 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com