Episcopal Church votes to curb gay bishops - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Episcopal Church votes to curb gay bishops

[Q]By Jim Leckrone

COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) - The U.S. Episcopal Church, trying to appease an angry and alienated worldwide Anglican community, reversed itself on Wednesday and agreed to try to avoid the consecration of more openly gay bishops.

The action came 24 hours after one of two legislative bodies at the 2.3 million member U.S. church's convention had rejected a similar idea [/Q]

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...EPISCOPALS.xml

I am disappointed to say the least.

I thought there was some hope after the newly elected female Bishop spoke yesterday.

By the way, the Anglican Community is not entirely happy about that either. Maybe they will reconsider this for the Coummunion as well.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:50 PM

It saddens me to hear this.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Old 06-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

honestly, you guys expect a little too much from organized religion.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:50 PM
This is unfortunate.
Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Although, it does say that the resolution is "non-binding."

It's interesting--if that's the right word--how the international nature of the Anglican church complicates these decisions...the tensions of trying to hold together a faith community uniting enormous numbers of people living in very different societies and cultures scattered around the world. (Is this your church then, Dread? I can't remember.) How does one decide when the cost of making concessions in the name of preserving unity and community becomes unacceptable in view of the equally strong imperative to support and live out the principles of the faith as one understands them? How much splintering and factionalism (whether formalized or de facto) can be allowed before what remains is in danger of no longer compromising a genuine community (with all the tensions and compromises and respect for the value of a living tradition that implies) before what remains is too doctrinally incoherent and arbitrary to support a meaningfully structured religious life? At what point is it time to back up, break away, and start over on the huge task of constructing a whole new systematic approach to living according to a particular path?

It won't have anything like the impact of an Episcopal church decision, but the international rabbinic assembly of Conservative Judaism (our denomination) will be voting in December on whether to sanction gay unions and ordain openly gay rabbis. There are many--including the outgoing chancellor of the Conservative seminary (unofficially, the "head" of the Conservative denomination)--who gloomily predict that this will lead to a schism which will undo Conservatism altogether. It's not a majority view at this point in time--most think that both measures will pass, and that a few congregations will indeed leave (just as some did when we decided to ordain women rabbis), but that overall, the reforms will successfully take hold. But there are no two ways about the fact that it raises major challenges for how the denomination has traditionally understood and pursued its approach to interpreting Jewish law. (Open to critical Biblical and Talmudic scholarship, unlike the Orthodox...opposed to dismissing all the discipline and tradition embodied in Jewish law as irrelevant to a full spiritual life, unlike Reform Judaism.)

It's an unsettling thing--to have committed so much of your life, and self-understanding of where you're headed, to a way of thinking and believing whose foundations have become so bitterly contested. It's all very well to say, "Well, I know what I believe"...but then to take that back to the table and have to negotiate it, articulate it, submit it to the most formidable intellectual and psychological challenges, struggling to find and preserve that same spark that's always kept you going in the words and acts of deeply admired, highly regarded friends and teachers who have now also become opponents...and if you cannot find it...what then? How far can you really come, how much can you really grow on your own?
Quote:
Originally posted by Se7en
honestly, you guys expect a little too much from organized religion.
It's the perennial problem of organized ANYTHING. But how much can you expect from a church, a school system, a government, a political movement that's not organized? People do things in the collective for a reason, and it's not just because they fear freedom.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 06-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

I just do not understand....

It is OK to have Gay/Lesbian Priests...but they cannot rise above that level WHY?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:50 PM   #8
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:50 PM
As far as that logic goes, I agree with you fully. (And the same goes for any faith community that welcomes openly gay couples, yet won't sanction their unions...what's the point in welcoming them at all then?) But really, it all comes back to this holding-the-community-together issue, doesn't it?
Quote:
...trying to appease an angry and alienated worldwide Anglican community...

"...to exercise restraint by not consenting to the consecration of any candidate (for bishop) whose manner of life presents a challenge to the wider church..."
It is the case, I think, that the US and Canadian Episcopal churces were alone in their stance on gay and lesbian priests to begin with (as opposed to, say, women bishops--which is also internationally controversial, but at least some other branches have them...New Zealand I believe, plus others permit it in principle, and the Anglican Church is now seriously considering it) and that now, by appointing gays as bishops, they are compounding the "problem" unacceptably by elevating gay clergy to a level of influence where they can no longer be ignored, for harmony's sake, as an American aberration. Isn't that that's more or less what's happening? My own impression was that gay clergy, period, are not accepted at all by most of the worldwide Anglican community, and that while the American Episcopal Church does not (on the whole) agree with this, they are pretty desperate to avoid a permanent major schism. So it's not primarily a question of allow-them-as-priests,-just-not-as-bishops, so far as I can tell.

Then, too, there's the point nb made in a related thread a few days back--that often these controversies are as much proxies for far more complex, deep-seated disagreements over doctrinal interpretation, procedural matters, beholdenness to tradition, etc. in general, than they are about whatever they appear to be about on the surface.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 06-21-2006, 11:38 PM   #9
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:50 AM
Not an EEO.
If Jesus were head of the company, he'd make it an EEO.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:59 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 01:50 PM
Apparently the Episcopalian Church could use a Bible Lesson or two.

Please read Genesis 19:4-11, Leviticus 18:22/20:13, Deuteronomy 23:17-18, Romans 1:26-27, I Corinthians 6:9, & I Timothy 1:10 and let me know if homosexuals should be priests in a Christian Church. I'm not saying that can't be priests - I'm just saying that can't be priests in a Christian Church. If one doesn't agree with what Christianity actually teaches (which is a basic human freedom), then there are thousands of other options.

If one doesn't base their theology on the Bible - then I guess anything goes. But if they are claiming the Bible as their source of inspiration, then they cannot deny that God clearly states that homosexuality is a sin. the same text that the Episcopalian Church uses to support that Jesus is the Son of God is the same textx which teaches us to obey what God tells us to do. If someone can reply with Biblical evidence to the contrary I'd welcome the enlightenment.

Is the Politically Correct? No. Is stating that homosexual activity is a sin a popular view? No way. Would Jesus treat homosexuals differently? No. He loved everyone and implored everyone to follow Him regardless of their "hang ups" or "orientations." Does the Bible state that homosexuality is a sin? Absolutely. There is no debate. So it seems you have a choice to make. You can base your theology on the Bible or on man's opinion.

Just a word of caution - basing a theology or philosophy on man's opinion is prone to change with the times.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:09 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

So you can't be a priest if you sin (homosexuality).
So how are there any priests at all?

Or does the church 'rank' certain sins over others?
Old 06-22-2006, 02:45 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

You are correct in the fact that we are all sinners. But Christians are required to try and turn from their old ways (i.e. repent - I hate that word). The problem with most homosexual priests is not that they are sinning, for we all sin, but that they are not acknowledging that they are sinning. Most homosexual priests are not claiming "I was once a sinner and now God has changed my heart." They are claiming that homosexuality is not a sin. And not only is it not a sin, but "I as a active and ongoing participant in homosexual activity should be allowed to LEAD God's flock."

All Pastors make mistakes. But if they do not make an attempt to CHANGE their habits-they should not be leading God's flock. The Bible clearly states this in 1 Timothy Chapter 3.

Look, I'm not a Bible thumping Christian. I do not even belong to a church at the moment. But I am a student of the Bible as a hobbie and it clearly states the qualities expected in a church leader-being an unrepentant sinner of any kind is not on the list.

This is not my opinion. And I won't elaborate whether or not I agree. But is stated in the Bible very slearl. And if you don't like what the Bible teaches - I can understand that completely. But if you CLAIM the Bible as your authority, then you must understand what it says.

If you are a homosexual who wants to keep on engaging in homosexual activity and be a priest, then by all means, start a religion. I live near San Francisco - I'm certain your new religion will be quite successful. But if you want to LEAD a Christian Church, then you should practice with all effort what the Bible preaches.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:19 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
You are correct in the fact that we are all sinners. But Christians are required to try and turn from their old ways (i.e. repent - I hate that word). The problem with most homosexual priests is not that they are sinning, for we all sin, but that they are not acknowledging that they are sinning. Most homosexual priests are not claiming "I was once a sinner and now God has changed my heart." They are claiming that homosexuality is not a sin. And not only is it not a sin, but "I as a active and ongoing participant in homosexual activity should be allowed to LEAD God's flock."

All Pastors make mistakes. But if they do not make an attempt to CHANGE their habits-they should not be leading God's flock. The Bible clearly states this in 1 Timothy Chapter 3.

Look, I'm not a Bible thumping Christian. I do not even belong to a church at the moment. But I am a student of the Bible as a hobbie and it clearly states the qualities expected in a church leader-being an unrepentant sinner of any kind is not on the list.

This is not my opinion. And I won't elaborate whether or not I agree. But is stated in the Bible very slearl. And if you don't like what the Bible teaches - I can understand that completely. But if you CLAIM the Bible as your authority, then you must understand what it says.

If you are a homosexual who wants to keep on engaging in homosexual activity and be a priest, then by all means, start a religion. I live near San Francisco - I'm certain your new religion will be quite successful. But if you want to LEAD a Christian Church, then you should practice with all effort what the Bible preaches.
That's a good answer.
I'm not saying I agree with the reasoning, but it's consistent enough for me to see the logic.

What about priests who eat at Red Lobster or pork in general?
Gotta love that Leviticus elephant always in the room.

Listen to what the man said:

Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.
Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Is Jesus saying that we should obey Leviticus as well, as a whole?
Man, I sure do love me some shrimp and hot dogs.
I'm not trying to 'prove' anything, just asking questions.
As I re-read the bit from the Sermon on the Mount, he does say "until all is accomplished", maybe he's talking about the death and resurrection as well.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:47 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The English word used to translate "Law" has several different Hebrew meanings. It is generally regarded by both Orthodox and Liberal Bible scholars that Jesus is referring to the Ten Commandments in this instance. And even the Ten Commandments are summarized in Matthew 20:37-40. (essentially love God and love your neighbor)

There are places throughout the Book of Acts that demonstrate that Law (with a capital "L") is not a reference to customs necessary for Jewish survival in a harsh climate (i.e. most of Leviticus). The Law in the New Testament is best defined by one word = LOVE.

If you are TRULY motivated by love of God and of others, then you will be fulfilling the Law. That is what Jesus is teaching here. (and I think Bono mentions that love is the Higher Law somehwere in a song..oh whats that song???..oh yeah...ONE)
Old 06-22-2006, 07:26 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

This

[Q]Apparently the Episcopalian Church could use a Bible Lesson or two.[/Q]

Is pretty darn insulting.

There have been homosexuals in the Priesthood for thousands of years.

Does that make the church any less christian?

There have been thousands of priests who have had lust in their hearts, and acted on that lust for a man.

There have been thousands of priests who have committed other sins as well because they are human.

And their sins are no less or greater that any other.

There have been plenty of debates in here about what the bible says. What the original translations mean. There are plenty of things the bible says that no longer are applied in any Christian Church that I am familiar with. You are not the only student of the bible.