Episcopal Church may potentially split! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:35 AM
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - The first openly gay Episcopal bishop said at a packed church hearing Wednesday that he is "not an abomination," as he pleaded with the denomination not to bar gays from the office of bishop, even temporarily, for the sake of Anglican unity.

If Episcopalians "see Christ in the faithful lives of our gay and lesbian members," they should have the courage to say so, no matter the potential consequences, said Bishop V. Gene Robinson of New Hampshire.

"I am not an abomination before God," he told the Episcopal General Convention. "Please, I beg you, let's say our prayers and stand up for right."

But Bishop Robert Duncan, who leads a network of conservative Episcopal dioceses that opposed Robinson's consecration, told those at the hearing that the denomination is attempting an impossible task, "which is to hold together the conserving and progressive wings of our church."

We've reached a moment where it is very difficult, indeed I think we've reached an impossible moment, in holding it together," said Duncan, of the Diocese of Pittsburgh.

The convention will vote over the next few days whether to meet demands from Anglican leaders to impose a moratorium on electing gay bishops and express regret for the turmoil caused by Robinson's 2003 consecration.

The Episcopal Church is the U.S. arm of the 77 million-member Anglican Communion, the global association of churches that trace their roots to the Church of England. The majority of overseas Anglicans believe the Bible prohibits same-sex relationships, and they want the Americans to follow that teaching or leave the communion.

If Anglican leaders dislike the outcome of the General Convention, which runs through June 21, the communion could break apart. Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams, the Anglican spiritual leader, has repeatedly expressed concern about the future of the fellowship.

"We cannot survive as a communion of churches without some common convictions about what it is to live and to make decisions as the Body of Christ," he wrote in a message to the General Convention, which runs through June 21.

Wednesday night's hearing was organized by a committee crafting the Episcopal response to the crisis. The main proposal before delegates does not contain a moratorium on future gay bishops. Instead, it asks dioceses to "exercise very considerable caution" in electing leaders. However, delegates can revise or reject the legislation.

People began standing in line more than an hour before the hearing began to make sure they could get inside. Delegates and visitors filled the vast hotel ballroom to its 1,500-person capacity, while an overflow crowd outside listened on speakers as delegates took turns commenting on how the church should proceed.

Many expressed concern about the church's place in the Anglican family, while others said it would go against God to put restrictions on gay clergy.

---

On the Net:

http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/

Old 06-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

I do have to say in defense, I attended the packed U2/One Event held here as a volunteer of One and the speakers (bishops?--sorry I'm not Episcopalian) stressed the importance that the issue of taking a stand against poverty was more important an issue as a person of faith than sexuality or differences. The service was very well presented and it was encouraging to see so many people willing to sit on the floor because all the seats were taken to hear about the One Campaign.

Old 06-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - The first openly gay Episcopal bishop said at a packed church hearing Wednesday that he is "not an abomination," as he pleaded with the denomination not to bar gays from the office of bishop, even temporarily, for the sake of Anglican unity.

If Episcopalians "see Christ in the faithful lives of our gay and lesbian members," they should have the courage to say so, no matter the potential consequences, said Bishop V. Gene Robinson of New Hampshire.

"I am not an abomination before God," he told the Episcopal General Convention. "Please, I beg you, let's say our prayers and stand up for right."

But Bishop Robert Duncan, who leads a network of conservative Episcopal dioceses that opposed Robinson's consecration, told those at the hearing that the denomination is attempting an impossible task, "which is to hold together the conserving and progressive wings of our church."

We've reached a moment where it is very difficult, indeed I think we've reached an impossible moment, in holding it together," said Duncan, of the Diocese of Pittsburgh.

amazing how the orientation matters more than the man.

shameful.

Old 06-16-2006, 08:11 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Doe anyone see Larry King last night?Bishop Robinson was on. What an amazing man

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...15/lkl.01.html

ANDERSON: I think the heterosexualists, the standard default setting, if you will, and whether you start with scripture and God's account of how things were created or, in fact, if you start with Charles Darwin and evolution, you come to the same point, that men were meant for women and women were meant for men.

KING: So what, then, does someone like Bishop Robinson do if he has all of these feelings but he's a good Episcopal priest and he wants to be a bishop and he wants to lead a flock, what does he do? ANDERSON: He conforms his life to the scriptural standards and lives a chaste and celibate life honoring God and honoring God's commandments.

KING: Bishop Robinson, how would you respond?

ROBINSON: Well, I would say that none of us are able to conform our lives to scriptural standards. In the gospel of Luke, for instance, Jesus said if you want to be a follower of mine you must give up all your possessions. I don't see many of us doing that. We all fall short in one way or another. The miracle, the good news, is that we're not worthy, but we're made worthy by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. That's the good news we have to give to the world and God has said to me and to all of God's children what God said to Jesus at his baptism, you are my beloved. In you, I am well pleased. The world is desperate to know a God like that.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Isn't that the truth....

We all fall short in one way or another.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:31 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

I think perhaps the problem is that those who are so quick to point out how they believe everyone else falls short have no clue what Bishop Robinson is saying there.

The world certainly is desperate to know a God like that, rather than to know a God that some people have twisted Him to be.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Robinson clearly states what God is like:

Quote:
We all fall short in one way or another. The miracle, the good news, is that we're not worthy, but we're made worthy by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
We still reject Him in favor of doing it on our own.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:43 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

By RACHEL ZOLL, AP Religion Writer

Episcopal Bishop Katherine Jefferts Schori has tackled male-dominated fields before as an oceanographer and a pilot. Now, she is taking on an even broader challenge as the first woman in the world to lead an Anglican province.

Jefferts Schori, bishop of Nevada, was elected Sunday as the first female presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church, the U.S. arm of the Anglican Communion. It is the latest groundbreaking and potentially divisive move by the American denomination.

Three years ago, Episcopalians stunned the communion by consecrating the first openly gay bishop — V. Gene Robinson of New Hampshire. The Episcopal General Convention, the national meeting where Jefferts Schori was elected, will decide this week whether to appease angry overseas archbishops by temporarily barring homosexuals from leading dioceses.

As presiding bishop, Jefferts Schori will have to explain the church's decision to elevate Robinson, which she supported, to the Anglican leaders who don't even consider her ordination valid. Many Anglicans believe women should not be ordained.

Only two of the 37 other Anglican provinces — New Zealand and Canada — have female bishops, although some allow women to serve in the post.

Asked how she would deal with such opposition, Jefferts Schori recalled a science research cruise she joined where the captain, who thought she didn't belong, vowed not to speak with her.

After 15 minutes on board, she said, "He got over it."

"I will bend over backward to build relationships with people who disagree with me," she said.

How the Anglican Communion will respond is unclear. The first test will come at a meeting of all the Anglican archbishops — called primates — next year in Tanzania.

The Rev. Canon Chris Sugden, a leader of Anglican Mainstream, a Church of England conservative group, said the election of Jefferts Schori "shows that the Episcopal leaders are going to do what they want to do regardless of what it means to the rest of the communion." The Church of England is in the midst of a difficult debate over whether to appoint woman bishops.

Pittsburgh Bishop Robert Duncan, head of the Anglican Communion Network, which represents 10 U.S. conservative dioceses and more than 900 parishes within the Episcopal Church, noted that three of its dioceses do not ordain women. The network, which is considering splitting from the denomination, has a meeting at the end of July to plan its next move.

"For the Anglican Communion worldwide, this election reveals the continuing insensitivity and disregard of the Episcopal Church for ... our global fellowship," Duncan said.

Still, the potential consequences did not dampen excitement about Jefferts Schori's election. Standing before cheering delegates to the General Convention, she said she was "awed and honored and deeply privileged to be elected." Outgoing Presiding Bishop Frank Griswold was at her side as she was introduced after closed-door balloting.

Episcopal bishops elected Jefferts Schori on the fifth ballot. She collected 95 votes, with 93 others split between the rest of the field — six candidates, all men. Other General Convention delegates confirmed the choice. Afterward, women priests and bishops could be seen celebrating and embracing in the convention hall.

Jefferts Schori, 52, is a former oceanographer who became a priest after federal funding for her work dried up and she was asked to fill in as a preacher at her local church.

"When I was growing up, girls didn't aspire to such things. Girls sang in the choir," she said. But preaching, she said, "led me to realize it was something I wanted to do."

She was ordained in 1994 and seven years later was chosen leader of the Diocese of Nevada. Married with one daughter, she is a licensed pilot who speaks Spanish and is known for her outreach to the Hispanic community. She will be installed to her nine-year term at a ceremony Nov. 4 in Washington National Cathedral.

The presiding bishop represents the Episcopal Church in meetings with other Anglican leaders and with leaders of other religious groups. But the presiding bishop's power is limited because of the democratic nature of the church. The General Convention is the top Episcopal policy-making body and dioceses elect their own bishops.

Jefferts Schori would not say whether she thought the church should enact a moratorium on gay bishops since the convention hadn't yet voted on the measure. The meeting ends Wednesday.

The new leader will inherit a shrinking church. Membership in the Episcopal Church, as in other mainline Protestant groups, has been declining for years and has remained predominantly white. More than a quarter of the parishioners are age 65 or older.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

There are rumors that the Convention is going to approve an appology for electing the Bishop.

I am not happy.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #25
War Child

Local Time: 02:35 AM
http://www.365gay.com/Newscon06/12/121106nigeria.htm

Quote:
Nigeria Moves To Make Meeting With Gays A Crime
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: December 11, 2006 5:00 pm ET

(Lagos) Legislation being considered by Nigeria's House of Representatives would make it a criminal offense to associate with known homosexuals.

The bill would make make any meeting between two or more people where one is gay a crime punishable up to five years behind bars.

The legislation adds to the growing isolation of gays and lesbians in the African nation where sodomy is illegal. In northern Nigeria, which is under Islamic law, homosexuality can be punishable by death and in the rest of the country by long prison terms.

Earlier this year Nigeria made it illegal for same-sex couples to go abroad to marry. When they return they could be imprisoned for five years. Even attending a gay wedding could result in imprisonment.

Civil rights advocates say the anti-gay laws contravene Nigeria's constitution and international law, but the country's LGBT population is so closeted and fearful there has been no opposition to the legislation from within the country.

The new bill has the support of Nigeria's Anglican Church which has been at the forefront of opposing gay clergy in the denomination.

Lawmakers say the bill is in reaction to South Africa's new law allowing same-sex couples to wed.

In Zimbabwe The South African move has resulted in a new wave of state sponsored homophobia.

In the weeks leading up to South Africa's historic vote making it the first country in Africa to legalize same-sex unions a delegation of 60 top South African officials were blasted over gay marriage when they arrived in Harare by State Security Minister, Didymus Mutasa.

In July government passed the "sexual deviancy" law making it a criminal offense for two people of the same sex to hold hands, hug, or kiss.
So these are the kinds of people you're trying to keep happy, so they don't split off of the church? To hell with them. If I were in charge, I'd boot them out!

I don't know what's more disgusting: the fact that there are Anglicans out there who would support this kind of crap, or the fact that there are Anglicans willing to compromise their values to try and make bigots like these stay.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:02 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

I am VERY disappointed. I have no words to express my feelings on this now.