Episcopal Bishop Homosexuality is not a Sin - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:50 AM
Episcopal Bishop Homosexuality is not a Sin

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Newly elected leader of the U.S. Episcopal Church Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said on Monday she believed homosexuality was no sin and homosexuals were created by God to love people of the same gender.

Jefferts Schori, bishop of the Diocese of Nevada, was elected on Sunday as the first woman leader of the 2.3 million-member Episcopal Church. the U.S. branch of the worldwide Anglican Communion. She will formally take office later this year.

Interviewed on CNN, Jefferts Schori was asked if it was a sin to be homosexual.

"I don't believe so. I believe that God creates us with different gifts. Each one of us comes into this world with a different collection of things that challenge us and things that give us joy and allow us to bless the world around us," she said.

"Some people come into this world with affections ordered toward other people of the same gender and some people come into this world with affections directed at people of the other gender."

Jefferts Schori's election seemed certain to exacerbate splits within a Episcopal Church that is already deeply divided over homosexuality with several dioceses and parishes threatening to break away.

It could also widen divisions with other Anglican communities, including the Church of England, which do not allow women bishops.

In the worldwide Anglican church women are bishops only in Canada, the United States and New Zealand. The Robinson issue has been particularly criticized in Africa where the church has a growing membership and where homosexuality is often taboo.

Jefferts Schori, who was raised a Roman Catholic and graduated in marine biology with a doctorate specialization in squids and oysters, supported the consecration of Gene Robinson of New Hampshire, the first openly gay bishop in more than 450 years of Anglican history

The 52-year-old bishop is married to Richard Schori, a retired theoretical mathematician. They have one daughter, Katharine Johanna, 24, a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force and a pilot like her mother.

Asked how she reconciled her position on homosexuality with specific passages in the Bible declaring sexual relations between men an abomination, Jefferts Schori said the Bible was written in a very different historical context by people asking different questions.

"The Bible has a great deal to teach us about how to live as human beings. The Bible does not have so much to teach us about what sorts of food to eat, what sorts of clothes to wear -- there are rules in the Bible about those that we don't observe today," she said.

"The Bible tells us about how to treat other human beings, and that's certainly the great message of Jesus -- to include the unincluded."

Old 06-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
New Yorker

I can only hope the Lutheran church follows its sister, though there is greater polarization than in the E's. We do share pastors and sacraments with the UCC which has accepted homosexuality for some time.

I read a great article on how the conservative Christian right only wants the 10 Commandments on display (did you see that Rep that could only name 3 haha) but why not the Beaitudes(?) on display. I don't understand why Christ's message ( they are proclaimed Christians ) seems to lost on them.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

seems so thuddingly obvious, and it saddens me that this is news to some people, but props to her for stating what should be plain as day.

[q]"I don't believe so. I believe that God creates us with different gifts. Each one of us comes into this world with a different collection of things that challenge us and things that give us joy and allow us to bless the world around us," she said. [/q]

this almost brings tears to my eyes.

there are many, many gay kids out there who are going to read these words and hate themselves just a little bit less tomorrow.

baby steps.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
New Yorker

Old 06-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:50 PM
It's embarrassing and shameful that most of the worlds religeons can't accept that homosexuality exists in the world. In some religeons gays are total outcasts in their families. It's awful.

The bishop in this news story appears to have opened her eyes to the modern world and not been blinded by some irrelevant ancient scriptures. I wish some other religeons and religeous people would follow her lead.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:33 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Old 06-20-2006, 08:33 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I saw her on CNN, she seems awesome for lack of a better word
Old 06-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #8
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:50 AM

That is so wonderful to read.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 06-20-2006, 10:23 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

"Newly elected leader of the U.S. Episcopal Church Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said on Monday she believed homosexuality was no sin and homosexuals were created by God to love people of the same gender."

We can believe all kinds of things, can't we?
Old 06-20-2006, 10:47 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse

And we all do, don't we?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by the iron horse
"Newly elected leader of the U.S. Episcopal Church Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori said on Monday she believed homosexuality was no sin and homosexuals were created by God to love people of the same gender."

I am just curious! Was this meant to cause discussion?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:33 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:50 AM
This is great.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:57 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Just curious...Since this is a Christian issue - does anyone have a Bible reference to support her claims the homosexuality is not a sin? I would love to read it. After all, opinions are pretty worthless unless they are based on facts. I can think of several that claim otherwises in both the New and Old Testaments:

Genesis 19:4-11, Leviticus 18:22/20:13, Deuteronomy 23:17-18, Romans 1:26-27, I Corinthians 6:9, & I Timothy 1:10

If you claim to be a Christian, please, do me a favor and read up on a little Scripture before making grand statements about the faith. This woman obviously "cut and pastes" what she likes from the Bible and "deletes" what she doesn't like.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:31 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
If you claim to be a Christian, please, do me a favor and read up on a little Scripture before making grand statements about the faith. This woman obviously "cut and pastes" what she likes from the Bible and "deletes" what she doesn't like.
Just curious....do you believe Christians should follow every rule in the bible?

Or do you cut and paste?

Because brother, if you are going to say that Christians today have not pick and chosen which TRADITIONS they are going to follow in their daily lives, then you damn well better be following the book to the letter of the law.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:28 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

While I am on it...Christians of years past picked and chose as well.