Episcopal Bishop Homosexuality is not a Sin - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2006, 09:16 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON
Just curious...Since this is a Christian issue - does anyone have a Bible reference to support her claims the homosexuality is not a sin? I would love to read it. After all, opinions are pretty worthless unless they are based on facts. I can think of several that claim otherwises in both the New and Old Testaments:

Genesis 19:4-11, Leviticus 18:22/20:13, Deuteronomy 23:17-18, Romans 1:26-27, I Corinthians 6:9, & I Timothy 1:10

If you claim to be a Christian, please, do me a favor and read up on a little Scripture before making grand statements about the faith. This woman obviously "cut and pastes" what she likes from the Bible and "deletes" what she doesn't like.
My response to this thread is applicable here too. The next time you want to be an arrogant, self-righteous Pharisee, do your research first. I hate Protestant revisionism.

Melon

Old 06-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
If you claim to be a Christian, please, do me a favor and read up on a little Scripture before making grand statements about the faith. This woman obviously "cut and pastes" what she likes from the Bible and "deletes" what she doesn't like.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:51 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

My response to this thread is applicable here too. The next time you want to be an arrogant, self-righteous Pharisee, do your research first. I hate Protestant revisionism.

Melon
Your angry response is very typical of those who only want their view of the Bible expressed. It is so charged with emotion I can almost envision the steam coming out of your ears as you typed it.

First, let me address your use of the word hate. This is a quote from 1 John 2:9 "Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness."

Secondly, are you a Christian? If not, then it is very difficult to understand the Bible. Christians rely on the Holy Spirit to guide their understanding of the Bible and then apply it.

Thirdly, who in the world said I was a Protestant?

Lastly, where is your tolerance for opposing, alternate views? (not that I am offering an obscure interpretation of the Bible)Shouldn't anyone be free to post a reply without being called a Pharisee - which to me is not much different than a racial slur because 1) you meant it to be a deragatory term and 2) I know full well what the Pharisees represented.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:58 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

^ i think you'll find that the "condeming" of homosexuality has been debated at length in FYM, hence the somewhat exasperated response.

also, you're not extending Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori the same respect you're demanding for yourself.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:59 AM   #20
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:52 AM
Quote:
Just curious...Since this is a Christian issue - does anyone have a Bible reference to support her claims the homosexuality is not a sin? I would love to read it. After all, opinions are pretty worthless unless they are based on facts. I can think of several that claim otherwises in both the New and Old Testaments:

Genesis 19:4-11, Leviticus 18:22/20:13, Deuteronomy 23:17-18, Romans 1:26-27, I Corinthians 6:9, & I Timothy 1:10

You cant be for real.

Have an APIA lady. You've earned it.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:04 AM   #21
Jesus Online

Quote:
Your angry response is very typical of those who only want their view of the Bible expressed. It is so charged with emotion I can almost envision the steam coming out of your ears as you typed it.

First, let me address your use of the word hate. This is a quote from 1 John 2:9 "Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness."

Secondly, are you a Christian? If not, then it is very difficult to understand the Bible. Christians rely on the Holy Spirit to guide their understanding of the Bible and then apply it.

Thirdly, who in the world said I was a Protestant?

Lastly, where is your tolerance for opposing, alternate views? (not that I am offering an obscure interpretation of the Bible)Shouldn't anyone be free to post a reply without being called a Pharisee - which to me is not much different than a racial slur because 1) you meant it to be a deragatory term and 2) I know full well what the Pharisees represented.
Alright, no sarcasm.

Do you really think God and Jesus would treat gays and lesbians differently? Do you think that their very exclusion is anything BUT bigotry? It seems every darn page of this (so-called) factual bible speaks of loving all fellow men, and treating all equally, doing unto others, forgiving, etc etc etc. And here you sit, writing this.

Please elaborate on why your view should be accepted in polite and enlightened circles. Please educate me and everyone else on why Christianity in this regard is not hopelessly misguided. Please do so without quoting the bible. Use your own mind. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:20 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem

Please do so without quoting the bible. Use your own mind. Thanks.
Are you asking me to support a Christian view without quoting the Bible? I think that is my original problem with the whole issue - that so many are not using the Bible to support their Christian views.

I rely on God's wisdom so much more than I would rely on the wisdom of men.

You ask if Jesus would treat gays differently? Would He love them? Yes and yes. But He still taught that sin was sin, and that we are to look to Him for the power to conquer it.

You can still love someone without making them a leader in the Church.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I meant No - Jesus would not treat them different and yes He would love them.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
You ask if Jesus would treat gays differently? Would He love them? Yes and yes. But He still taught that sin was sin, and that we are to look to Him for the power to conquer it.

then why did god make 5-10% of every human population, in every culture, on every continent, gay?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

As a fellow Christian, I'd like to know where? Show me where in the Bible Jesus condems homosexuality. And DONT just throw in a line or two from the NIV. I want properly exegeted Scripture.....I'll be waiting....
Old 06-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

also, you're not extending Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori the same respect you're demanding for yourself.
Now you are being intolorant!!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
You can still love someone without making them a leader in the Church.
I would stake my soul on the fact that there has never been a leader in any church who has sin in their heart, in one way or another. Period.

Unfortunatley, we cannot prove that the leaders of churches have sin in their heart, but the homosexual, who chooses to be honest, forthcoming, and open about WHO they are put bullseyes on themselves. They wear a target that is easy to identify and point at and call out SINNER.

Yet, the priest, rabbi, minister, bishop, that hides their less than obvious desires in the depths of their hearts, hidden from view. We can tolorate that because the bullseye is more often than not, hidden from view.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:44 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

then why did god make 5-10% of every human population, in every culture, on every continent, gay?
Personally, I think to weed out the hate mongering people of the world from those that have love in their hearts.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #29
Jesus Online

Quote:
I meant No - Jesus would not treat them different and yes He would love them.
So, Jesus wouldn't treat them differently, but you would?

Old 06-22-2006, 10:56 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Just curious....do you believe Christians should follow every rule in the bible?

Or do you cut and paste?

Because brother, if you are going to say that Christians today have not pick and chosen which TRADITIONS they are going to follow in their daily lives, then you damn well better be following the book to the letter of the law.
Curious......

What parts of the Bible have been cut and paste for today's Christian.....

No response....

Are you going to tell me the Christian Church you belong to is living up to Leviticus, 100%......

Well....You quoted leviticus...or should I say, cut and pasted the verse that suited your belief.

Either all of leviticus is in play, or you are the cutter and paster.