English Leads To Sex???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting. I think it's cultural. When they get immersed into American popular cultural via the English language, they are exposed to something other than their traditional strict Catholic heritages.

I would have never guessed after watching spanish speaking television. It always seemed to me they were even more obcessed with scantily clad women then English speaking TV.

Maybe they just haven't found the translation for "How you doin" yet.

Moonlit_Angel said:

English accents rock :D :up:. Very sexy, indeed :yes:.

Angela

I'd love to not be English, and then come and visit and hear the accent for myself!
I dont think mine is too bad - but are some awful dialects over here, even u would hate them Angela!:wink:

Aardvark747 said:
I'd love to not be English, and then come and visit and hear the accent for myself!

Heh, I can relate to that...I remember my choir teacher telling me before we traveled to New York that our way of talking was going to be a bit different from the way they talked, and I know my voice would sound quite different to somebody from another country, too, and I've wanted to be in the other person's shoes for once-be in a New Yorker's shoes hearing a Midwestern girl talk, or be in the shoes of someone from another country and hearing an American talk, just 'cause I'm curious about exactly how I sound to them.

Originally posted by Aardvark747
I dont think mine is too bad - but are some awful dialects over here, even u would hate them Angela!:wink:

LOL, oh, really? What kind of dialects?

I find hearing any other language fascinating, even if I don't understand what in the world they're saying. I remember having a friend in 6th grade whose family was from Mexico, and whenever I'd be over at her house, her and her family would sometimes start speaking Spanish to each other, and at that time I didn't really know what they were saying (I subsequently took Spanish in school so that I could communicate a little better with them-I'm still not exactly fluent in the language, though), but I found it so interesting to hear something different. And when I was in New York, I heard lots of foreign languages there-I seem to recall hearing some Japanese people in particular, and I thought that was really interesting, too. And of course, after getting into all these bands in recent years from other parts of the world, I enjoy hearing them talk and hearing them say certain words with their accents, 'cause it sounds so funny hearing them say those words that I've said before in a different way :D.

Angela

It's definitely because the culture in latin america says that sex before marriage is wrong. When they speak English they become exposed to the american culture in which pretty much anything goes.

I understand what was said about scantily clad women but still that doesn't mean that girls should go have sex.

Some men around here won't marry non-virgins.

BrownEyedBoy said:
When they speak English they become exposed to the american culture in which pretty much anything goes.
:huh:

BrownEyedBoy said:

I understand what was said about scantily clad women but still that doesn't mean that girls should go have sex.
Who said anything about how anyone should go have sex? It just seems like a very sexually charged culture.

BrownEyedBoy said:

What about the women?

BrownEyedBoy said:

should men be able to go have sex?

will women marry a man who isn't a virgin?

RA-D said:

trust me mate, it doesn't over here.

how far would an american accent (just a sprinkling of "noo yawk" vowels) get me over there?

i promise i sound nothing like Bush.

About my post it wasn't my opinion. I was merely explaining wha the general consensus is here.

Some girl classmates of mine have said they are waiting for marriage but they want their husband to be experienced. I didn't understand. I say be fair and love your wife before you meet her. If you want your wife to be a virgin offer the exact same thing to her, the same with the women.

Whenever a an exchange student from the US comes here I've heard several guys say a comment like "ooohh, they loan it'', implying that they have sex without being married. It's just the mentality.

Every culture is a different world and you are more than welcome to disagree with it.

Please don't be offended as I am merely explaining what I observe in my country. :)

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:

I've wanted to be in the other person's shoes for once-be in a New Yorker's shoes hearing a Midwestern girl talk, or be in the shoes of someone from another country and hearing an American talk, just 'cause I'm curious about exactly how I sound to them.

If you go abroad/to a different region in the US for a while, you'll probably be able to hear the accents really easily. Now I don't notice most English accents (except maybe Liverpool ones and Geordies [because of the inflections of Scousers and I can't understand some Geordie accents at all!]), but American accents are sometimes REALLY noticable and some sound way too nasal/grating to me now. :huh: Last year a friend of mine from college (in Kentucky) was in London, and her Kentucky accent seemed very thick, while I always thought she had a little to no Southern accent when we were in college.

Back
Top Bottom