english catholics to american evangelicals: Bible not literally true - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2005, 02:28 PM   #31
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
We've been through all this before. It is far easier to follow God your own way when you get to rip out the pages you don't like.
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I understand where you are coming from and see how we've taken different paths to Christ.
nb, I am curious...why are you willing to grant the existence of "different paths to Christ" for the latter case but not the former?

Old 10-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
nb, I am curious...why are you willing to grant the existence of "different paths to Christ" for the latter case but not the former?
I think a couple of things may explain the statements. First, I must go under the assumption that when someone makes the initial declaration that they are a believer in Jesus Christ; I am not in a position to say "no you are not". Only God knows their heart.

Now, it may be subsequently revealed that the Jesus Christ they declare is not the Jesus from Scripture. That is a far deeper process than occurs here.

Another factor will be the portion of Scripture we are discussing. In the context of our recent discussion, no where in Scripture is justification tied to whether or not women have authority over men in the church. But God hasn't just given us the keys to justification, but a larger body of material that we are to use to guide our lives as believers. I think God would want us to earnestly grapple with the things that contradict our instincts or natural desires.

Old 10-09-2005, 02:57 PM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:39 AM
What do you grapple with, Crusader?
Old 10-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:39 PM
Martin Luther decided there were several books in the Old Testament he didn't like. Actually, of course, he was choosing the Jerusalem canon over the Alexandrian canon. There are passages in the Alexandrian canon, II Macabees to be precise, that refer to praying for the dead and Purgatory, which is why we accept these in the Catholic Church. But, the whole canon thing confuses me. Why consider one canon the Word of God and not the other one? Any comments on this?
Old 10-09-2005, 05:53 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Martin Luther decided there were several books in the Old Testament he didn't like. Actually, of course, he was choosing the Jerusalem canon over the Alexandrian canon. There are passages in the Alexandrian canon, II Macabees to be precise, that refer to praying for the dead and Purgatory, which is why we accept these in the Catholic Church. But, the whole canon thing confuses me. Why consider one canon the Word of God and not the other one? Any comments on this?
As a side note, I've often questioned whether II Maccabees truly explains the Catholic idea of purgatory (in reality, it does not; it's actually a description of the traditional Jewish / Sadducceean idea of the afterlife, "Sheol," which has more in common with the ancient Greek concept of "Hades") or whether it was merely an excuse to cover up the fact that we borrowed the basic concept of "purgatory" from Zoroastrianism ("Hamistigan"; place where those equally good and evil are frozen in stone until the coming of the Saoshayant ["Savior/Messiah"]). In fact, I would bet that "purgatory" is yet another "gift" to Christianity from my favorite Manicheanist heretic cum "Christian father," St. Augustine. Manicheanism was heavily influenced by Zoroastrianism.

Melon
Old 10-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

As a side note, I've often questioned whether II Maccabees truly explains the Catholic idea of purgatory (in reality, it does not; it's actually a description of the traditional Jewish / Sadducceean idea of the afterlife, "Sheol," which has more in common with the ancient Greek concept of "Hades") or whether it was merely an excuse to cover up the fact that we borrowed the basic concept of "purgatory" from Zoroastrianism ("Hamistigan"; place where those equally good and evil are frozen in stone until the coming of the Saoshayant ["Savior/Messiah"]). In fact, I would bet that "purgatory" is yet another "gift" to Christianity from my favorite Manicheanist heretic cum "Christian father," St. Augustine. Manicheanism was heavily influenced by Zoroastrianism.

Melon
Yes, Augustine was a Manichean before he became a Christian. It could be that he carried over some of his ideas. There's no doubt that Judaism and Christianity were heavily influenced by Zoroastrianism.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:46 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Ah there's truth and there's truth, isn't there. Couldn't be arsed grappling with this thread but I heard the soundbite version of the story and that's enough for me. I now live in soundbites because I am a falling-down drunk, it's more efficient that way.

I doubt very much any english catholics actually said the bible isn't literally true, it's probably more that they said the truth needs to be understood in historical context, or somesuch commonsense thing. Good guess, yes?
Yeah. So, um, hmmm.

sounds of the crickets
Old 10-10-2005, 12:37 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
What do you grapple with, Crusader?
With many things, especially with years of bible studies.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Of course there's scientific inaccuracies in the Bible. We all know that God is limited by the universal laws he created!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:18 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780
Of course there's scientific inaccuracies in the Bible. We all know that God is limited by the universal laws he created!

this is potentially a very interesting statement -- could you unpack this? what do you mean?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this is potentially a very interesting statement -- could you unpack this? what do you mean?
I was actually being sarcastic.

I just find it so ironic that people would question God's word because of what they view as scientific inaccuracies. I believe God created our universe and all the laws we're restricted by. I believe he even created the concept of time! God is everywhere and every time, he has always been and always will be, he has no beginning and no end! Why should we push science on a God like that?

Some so-called spiritual men put all of their faith in science and none in God. Is that really faith at all?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:33 PM   #42
Refugee

Quote:

Some so-called spiritual men put all of their faith in science and none in God. Is that really faith at all?
And some put all of their faith into the idea of God that they have in their heads without attempting to reconcile it with the real world.

Which do you think is a better idea?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie

My point is that there's a time and place to push science. Trying to apply the laws of science to the spiritual realm is completely silly and futile.

God can't be reconciled with our "real world" because God isn't limited by the same puny minds we are.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:41 PM   #44
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I was actually being sarcastic.

I just find it so ironic that people would question God's word because of what they view as scientific inaccuracies. I believe God created our universe and all the laws we're restricted by. I believe he even created the concept of time! God is everywhere and every time, he has always been and always will be, he has no beginning and no end! Why should we push science on a God like that?

oh. sorry.

well you're working from a base set of assumptions that not everyone shares -- in fact, your view is very much in the minority, both in the US and certainly across the world.

it's lovely that you believe things, but i thought you were going to tell us what you thought.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:41 PM   #45
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
My point is that there's a time and place to push science. Trying to apply the laws of science to the spiritual realm is completely silly and futile.

is the converse true, then?

creationistic superstitions like ID are emphatically not science -- so they have no place in a science classroom?