End the siege of the Short Strand - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-18-2002, 03:36 PM   #1
Acrobat
 
Celticfc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Califuckinfornia
Posts: 417
Local Time: 02:55 AM
End the siege of the Short Strand

Please sign this petition and show your support for the residents of the Short Strand

http://32s.org/phpetition/

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Celticfc is offline  
Old 08-18-2002, 08:18 PM   #2
Babyface
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: offaly
Posts: 15
Local Time: 09:55 AM
Though I agree that what's happening there is terrible I won't sign the petition. A quick glance at some of the signatures will tell you why



"Johnny Murphy St. Louis, MO USA RUC/PSNI......Nothing has changed "

"Davie McCartney glasgow scotland RUC/PSNI Different name same police brutality, our best wishes to the nationalist community of the short strand "

"Padraigh O'Cleirigh Louth Eire Stop the Ethnic cleasing of the People of Ireland "

"Dominic Kostas Rhodes island Greece We support the Irish people. Ireland unfree shall never be at peace. Tiocfaidh ar la "


I have no desire to be associated with people like this. Seems people not from the country have a great fondness for the idiotic "our day will come" BS.


Mike
__________________

__________________
iMike is offline  
Old 08-18-2002, 08:53 PM   #3
Refugee
 
bonoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Edmonton, Canada- Charlestown, Ireland
Posts: 1,398
Local Time: 02:55 AM
I signed...
__________________
bonoman is offline  
Old 08-18-2002, 08:56 PM   #4
Babyface
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: offaly
Posts: 15
Local Time: 09:55 AM
Just a personal thing I have I guess, I really don't want my name on a list that includes people like that. Not that I'm saying everyone who signs it is or anything...



Mike
__________________
iMike is offline  
Old 08-19-2002, 06:01 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
FizzingWhizzbees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the choirgirl hotel
Posts: 12,614
Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by iMike
Though I agree that what's happening there is terrible I won't sign the petition. A quick glance at some of the signatures will tell you why



"Johnny Murphy St. Louis, MO USA RUC/PSNI......Nothing has changed "

"Davie McCartney glasgow scotland RUC/PSNI Different name same police brutality, our best wishes to the nationalist community of the short strand "

"Padraigh O'Cleirigh Louth Eire Stop the Ethnic cleasing of the People of Ireland "

"Dominic Kostas Rhodes island Greece We support the Irish people. Ireland unfree shall never be at peace. Tiocfaidh ar la "


I have no desire to be associated with people like this. Seems people not from the country have a great fondness for the idiotic "our day will come" BS.


Mike
Mike,
I'm not criticising your decision to sign or not sign the petition, but I just wondered exactly what was your concern with some of the signatures there? Was it that you don't agree with the comments (ie that the current police service is no different from the RUC, or that only a united Ireland can bring peace to the country) or was it that it's people from outside of Ireland are commenting on the situation.
__________________
FizzingWhizzbees is offline  
Old 08-19-2002, 02:09 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
Laura M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,932
Local Time: 10:55 AM
I really think the ppl in this area are being treated fairly and im not gonna say just Catholics are being treated unfairly - Protestants get the same sort of treatment.

Sectarianism really isnt a good thing

Mike im sure you have signed petitions before and i really dont feel it should affect you because of what other ppl have said, just my 2 cents as they say
__________________
Laura M is offline  
Old 08-19-2002, 02:23 PM   #7
Babyface
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: offaly
Posts: 15
Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


Mike,
I'm not criticising your decision to sign or not sign the petition, but I just wondered exactly what was your concern with some of the signatures there? Was it that you don't agree with the comments (ie that the current police service is no different from the RUC, or that only a united Ireland can bring peace to the country) or was it that it's people from outside of Ireland are commenting on the situation.

Hmm where to start?

Ok, first, I do think the PSNI is fundamentally different from the RUC.

Second, I have issues with the ethnic cleansing comment. Ethnic cleansing?? Do these people actually understand what this means? I don't think theres ever been any ethnic cleansing in the north.

Thirdly, I take offense at the "Ireland unfree shall never be at peace" comment. I live here, in Ireland. Seems pretty free to me (of course he was referring to the North, but, that ain't Ireland). Personally, I don't want a united Ireland. Call me selfish, but I don't.

The "tiocfaidh ar la" comment. I get so sick of seeing that. I don't really want to get into a debate over it though.

I'm fed up with seeing petitions like this hijacked by people who probably don't know what they're talking about. I'm sick of people outside the country making comments like that. It's those same people who sent money and arms to the terrorists, and have helped keep the conflict going.

Anyway, I could ramble on about this one all day, but I won't!

Mike
__________________
iMike is offline  
Old 08-19-2002, 02:30 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees


Mike,
I'm not criticising your decision to sign or not sign the petition, but I just wondered exactly what was your concern with some of the signatures there? Was it that you don't agree with the comments (ie that the current police service is no different from the RUC, or that only a united Ireland can bring peace to the country) or was it that it's people from outside of Ireland are commenting on the situation.
Online petitions are rather suspect in general.

First, they don't usually accomplish anything.

Second, if you leave an email address on the petition you can be easily googled for years to come.
__________________
speedracer is offline  
Old 08-19-2002, 02:30 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict
 
Laura M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,932
Local Time: 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by iMike





Thirdly, I take offense at the "Ireland unfree shall never be at peace" comment. I live here, in Ireland. Seems pretty free to me (of course he was referring to the North, but, that ain't Ireland). Personally, I don't want a united Ireland. Call me selfish, but I don't.


I'm fed up with seeing petitions like this hijacked by people who probably don't know what they're talking about. I'm sick of people outside the country making comments like that. It's those same people who sent money and arms to the terrorists, and have helped keep the conflict going.



No offence mike but i duno what points ur trying to make here-

Your saying ur sick of people outside the country making comments like that but u just said before that u dont want to be part of northern ireland and that its not part of your country?!?! you do seem pretty selfish u obviously dont have much of a clue what is happening here- try living in a place where you cant express your view about religion/ politics without fearing having someone try to shoot you, try living beside a family whose son is shot and killed for wearing a Celtic t-shirt- theres a bit more to the petition than some americans commenting on it imo
__________________
Laura M is offline  
Old 08-19-2002, 04:25 PM   #10
Babyface
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: offaly
Posts: 15
Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen


No offence mike but i duno what points ur trying to make here-

Your saying ur sick of people outside the country making comments like that but u just said before that u dont want to be part of northern ireland and that its not part of your country?!?! you do seem pretty selfish u obviously dont have much of a clue what is happening here- try living in a place where you cant express your view about religion/ politics without fearing having someone try to shoot you, try living beside a family whose son is shot and killed for wearing a Celtic t-shirt- theres a bit more to the petition than some americans commenting on it imo

Hmm I thought I made a few points there, possibly they weren't very relevant but here goes...
I reckon do have a good knowledge of the north...after all I've had to study it for college for the past etc..
I'm not sure what your issue is with my comments...I never said there wasn't more to the petition than some americans commenting on it...
Perhaps my desire NOT to have to live in a place where I can't openly express my views about religion/politics is why I don't want a united Ireland?

On a different note, do you want a "United" Ireland? (Just wondering)


Mike
__________________
iMike is offline  
Old 08-19-2002, 04:31 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict
 
Laura M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,932
Local Time: 10:55 AM
I dont really care, i do believe ireland shouldnt be part of britain but its not THAT important, everyone has different views on the subject- i want ppl to stop being so biggoted and stop with the sectarianism- id say im an irish citizen and i have an irish passport but thats just me

I wish ppl cud learn about their religion and culture here and be free to talk about it here

What I really hate though is when ppl from Britain hate N/Irish ppl and your view on not wanting a united ireland give me the impression ppl in the south dont want to know us either

I dunno really
__________________
Laura M is offline  
Old 08-19-2002, 04:47 PM   #12
Babyface
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: offaly
Posts: 15
Local Time: 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen
I dont really care, i do believe ireland shouldnt be part of britain but its not THAT important, everyone has different views on the subject- i want ppl to stop being so biggoted and stop with the sectarianism- id say im an irish citizen and i have an irish passport but thats just me

I wish ppl cud learn about their religion and culture here and be free to talk about it here

What I really hate though is when ppl from Britain hate N/Irish ppl and your view on not wanting a united ireland give me the impression ppl in the south dont want to know us either

I dunno really
I don't really know either, it's a complicated situation


Mike
__________________
iMike is offline  
Old 08-19-2002, 05:02 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict
 
Laura M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,932
Local Time: 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by iMike


I don't really know either, it's a complicated situation


Mike
Defintootily





__________________
Laura M is offline  
Old 08-19-2002, 09:25 PM   #14
Acrobat
 
Celticfc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Califuckinfornia
Posts: 417
Local Time: 02:55 AM
I didnt want to start some big debate on Ireland with this thread.
If you don't want to sign it, don't sign it , simple as that.
I don't agree with any of Mikes comments but thats his opinion and hes entitled to them.
__________________
Celticfc is offline  
Old 08-22-2002, 07:22 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life
 
mad1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Posts: 13,153
Local Time: 10:55 AM
Normal

Im sorta browsin on and off while I said I wouldn't be postin here again.....and Im not.......I also am waitin to see the scanned pic to see how it came out, the one I sent to Olive

..but felt like coming on and say that yes its still bad here, and I know cause I live very close to it...........now there was a quiet stage but last week comin back from town around 200 army landrovers and some Saracenes were called in to divide the road up and fast....I saw it all happen while we were being diverted, and have seen it a few times before........it wasnt even 7pm! Every day going home, I pass the area, right on that road, and theres bits of brick, smashed bottles, hard things thrown debris...........even a huge wire wall was built by the army to stop things being thrown over from one community to the other, I feel sorry for those who are trapped in the culdesac where the police and army are protecting......how can u go out without feelin terrified (those in there who are). Up until recently around 3 landrovers (army) would be round in the street just off Albertbridge to guard, but I tink gangs debated they were there too much......or else because it was quieter, they only go round at night..

last night may have been the worst what with a car hijacked and burnt and a bus hijacked, police and army helicopters are always above the area with spotlights on and when u hear them, u know its hell....

so its still goin on......but Im not takin anyones side, for Id rather be far away from this fucked up city........................yet unfort a lot of me wants to stay here...........

Petitions are bloody useless for this sort of thing.................petitions show who sides who......well, this one does..........



u cant stop an ongoing prob between two divide communities, it will never cease......if anything, it will remain, and worsen.....
and it doesnt happen EVERY night, or else some nights are a lot quieter than others.....

ciao!
__________________

__________________
mad1 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com