Embryonic Stem Cell Research for Pro Lifers - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:26 AM
Embryonic Stem Cell Research for Pro Lifers

Quote:
Rebooted cells tackle ethical concerns

Erika Check

Fusion technique resets adult skin cells to embryonic state.

Come together: a stem cell fused to a skin cell can reprogramme it back to an embryonic state.

Scientists who want to study the special properties of stem cells may be able to use a new technique to avoid some of the practical and ethical pitfalls of stem-cell research.

On 24 June, Kevin Eggan of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute told an international scientific meeting that his lab has fused a human embryonic stem cell to an adult skin cell. Eggan showed that the embryonic stem cell 'reprogrammed' the skin cell's nucleus, causing the skin cell to start behaving like a youthful, embryonic stem cell.

Eggan's work raises the possibility that scientists may one day be able to make human embryonic stem-cell lines tailored to individual patients without first having to create an embryo clone of the patient: researchers could simply reprogramme a patient's skin cells.

article here

Old 07-28-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:26 AM
The objections to this research bother me greatly.

Old 07-28-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 09:26 AM
what objections? I didn't see any.

Looks pretty neat to me! Bring it on!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Jesus Online

There's been numerous threads on this topic before in the past, and many more in the media here and I'd guess over there. Infact, everywhere. Objections to the mere suggestion of embryonic stem cell studies is rampant.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:16 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
There's been numerous threads on this topic before in the past, and many more in the media here and I'd guess over there. Infact, everywhere. Objections to the mere suggestion of embryonic stem cell studies is rampant.

While close to 1,800 Young Americans and countless Innocent Iraqi people have been killed in a war that seems at this point didn't really have much merit. The leader of the USA has declared the practice of stem cell research as "unethical". I know I'm going to get slammed by many after posting this - but this is coming from a registered Republican. This is what Bono was getting at in Miracle Drug - it doesn't have to be one way or the other, maybe God did give us knowledge to unlock these doors. As many of you in this Forum know that my wife is really sick and I'm not saying that this research would maybe be that Miracle Cure but I guess if it's not tried we will never know.

I will apologize up front if I offended any one's political or religious
sensibilities. It's just my opinion on this issue.

Okay it's hammer time.................
Old 07-28-2005, 06:25 PM   #6
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by YBORCITYOBL

While close to 1,800 Young Americans and countless Innocent Iraqi people have been killed in a war that seems at this point didn't really have much merit. The leader of the USA has declared the practice of stem cell research as "unethical". I know I'm going to get slammed by many after posting this - but this is coming from a registered Republican. This is what Bono was getting at in Miracle Drug - it doesn't have to be one way or the other, maybe God did give us knowledge to unlock these doors. As many of you in this Forum know that my wife is really sick and I'm not saying that this research would maybe be that Miracle Cure but I guess if it's not tried we will never know.

I will apologize up front if I offended any one's political or religious
sensibilities. It's just my opinion on this issue.

Okay it's hammer time.................
If anyone hammers you i will personally beat them to a pulp

I researched this for a bio paper, personally i am against cloning/growing embryos just to harvest stem cells....i believe it to be wrong, i also researched this alternative and i am fine with it because well it obviously does not affect my beliefs......but i can't imagine how i would feel in your situation...but i would never criticise you, or anyone in your position for trying to find this cure for your wife...and i would never condemn you for using a treatment that came from stem cells which may have a source from a method i find morally wrong, because you are just in a bad position that i wouldn't know how to react in

Good luck to you and your wife
I wish her all the best.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thanks for the kind words LJT - this Forum is filled with really great people.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:59 PM   #8
Jesus Online

YBORCITYOBL, I cant tell, sorry, if you agree or disagree with stem cell research, but I honestly dont really give a fig what the President of America thinks of it, as an Australian. On a further note, I dont really care what the opinion is of many registered republicans who put the value of a cell above my life. Republicans who pretty much value any life except mine, and and some convicted criminals, who they are overall happy to execute for failing to be productive members of society. But that is a blatant sidetrack.

I've got the first stages of glaucoma. I've got bleeding behind my eyes. I'm off to see my opthalmologist as soon as I can so we can check how far it has progressed. The thought of going blind drives this ice cold fear into me. I'm an art student. My vision is everything to me. For the last 20 years, I have injected myself between 2 and 4 times a day. While I thank God and anyone who this being the worst I've ever had to deal with, and I am so honestly thankful that diabetes is the worst I've got, I know it's complications are numberous and can kill me. I've had one kidney play up on me already and only hope it never leads to more. I hope I can always keep my weight under control so that I lessen my risk of heart disease. I quit smoking over a month ago so that I lessen the chances of hearing those dreaded words "Sorry Anna, we cant operate". I am grateful diabetes is the worst of it. What scares me is these hidden complications which can take anyone at any time. My risk is increased and I will not have some republican stand in my way of seeing my daughter and no. 2 grow up. I will see my children leave school, get married, find good jobs, buy their first car, build or buy a house. And no one is ging to stop that. I will not let it. I am not alone either. Too many conditions akin to mine are a few steps away from being cured or experiencing immense breakthroughs.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:16 PM   #9
Refugee

I guess you guys didn't read the article.

I don't get what you are saying. This says there is great promise to do this research without resorting to 'growing' fetuses.

So, what's with you guys? This is great news!
Old 07-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
YBORCITYOBL, I cant tell, sorry, if you agree or disagree with stem cell research, but I honestly dont really give a fig what the President of America thinks of it, as an Australian. On a further note, I dont really care what the opinion is of many registered republicans who put the value of a cell above my life. Republicans who pretty much value any life except mine, and and some convicted criminals, who they are overall happy to execute for failing to be productive members of society. But that is a blatant sidetrack.

I've got the first stages of glaucoma. I've got bleeding behind my eyes. I'm off to see my opthalmologist as soon as I can so we can check how far it has progressed. The thought of going blind drives this ice cold fear into me. I'm an art student. My vision is everything to me. For the last 20 years, I have injected myself between 2 and 4 times a day. While I thank God and anyone who this being the worst I've ever had to deal with, and I am so honestly thankful that diabetes is the worst I've got, I know it's complications are numberous and can kill me. I've had one kidney play up on me already and only hope it never leads to more. I hope I can always keep my weight under control so that I lessen my risk of heart disease. I quit smoking over a month ago so that I lessen the chances of hearing those dreaded words "Sorry Anna, we cant operate". I am grateful diabetes is the worst of it. What scares me is these hidden complications which can take anyone at any time. My risk is increased and I will not have some republican stand in my way of seeing my daughter and no. 2 grow up. I will see my children leave school, get married, find good jobs, buy their first car, build or buy a house. And no one is ging to stop that. I will not let it. I am not alone either. Too many conditions akin to mine are a few steps away from being cured or experiencing immense breakthroughs.
At first I thought we had different ideas about this but as I read along I can see we agree - I keep thinking that we are just moments away from finding cures for many diseases. The illness that my wife has put our lives in a living hell for so long now. I pray that your condition remains stable and you can enjoy all of those things with your children. Due to my wifes illness(she couldn't get pregnant) and the fact she's 6 years older than me, we will never have children and that's the one thing that breaks my heart absolutely more than anything else. At times the thought of us never having children is way too much to bear.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:23 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris

I don't get what you are saying. This says there is great promise to do this research without resorting to 'growing' fetuses.

yeah, what he said.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:23 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Maybe I didn't make my first post that clear but I do support stem cell research and I do know of the article you speak of.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 PM   #13
Jesus Online

Quote:

You guessed wrong, and there has been alternate methods being looked at for a very long time. Years, infact. Even in this little backwater. Finally one the conservatives think is ok, and we have permission to celebrate?
The mere development of using stem cells has been worth applauding since it was discovered, incase anyone was unaware.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:50 PM   #14
Jesus Online

And YBORCITYOBL, I've read your thread in the other forum. I'm sorry again at what you both suffer through. I certainly hope that one day she can begin to experience life as many others enjoy and take for granted and that you can be there with her as she does.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:50 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
You guessed wrong, and there has been alternate methods being looked at for a very long time. Years, infact. Even in this little backwater. Finally one the conservatives think is ok, and we have permission to celebrate?
and what conservative are you talking about?