Embryonic Stem Cell Research for Pro Lifers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
Rebooted cells tackle ethical concerns

Erika Check

Fusion technique resets adult skin cells to embryonic state.

stemcells.jpg

Come together: a stem cell fused to a skin cell can reprogramme it back to an embryonic state.

Scientists who want to study the special properties of stem cells may be able to use a new technique to avoid some of the practical and ethical pitfalls of stem-cell research.

On 24 June, Kevin Eggan of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute told an international scientific meeting that his lab has fused a human embryonic stem cell to an adult skin cell. Eggan showed that the embryonic stem cell 'reprogrammed' the skin cell's nucleus, causing the skin cell to start behaving like a youthful, embryonic stem cell.

Eggan's work raises the possibility that scientists may one day be able to make human embryonic stem-cell lines tailored to individual patients without first having to create an embryo clone of the patient: researchers could simply reprogramme a patient's skin cells.

article here

There's been numerous threads on this topic before in the past, and many more in the media here and I'd guess over there. Infact, everywhere. Objections to the mere suggestion of embryonic stem cell studies is rampant.

Angela Harlem said:
There's been numerous threads on this topic before in the past, and many more in the media here and I'd guess over there. Infact, everywhere. Objections to the mere suggestion of embryonic stem cell studies is rampant.

While close to 1,800 Young Americans and countless Innocent Iraqi people have been killed in a war that seems at this point didn't really have much merit. The leader of the USA has declared the practice of stem cell research as "unethical". I know I'm going to get slammed by many after posting this - but this is coming from a registered Republican. This is what Bono was getting at in Miracle Drug - it doesn't have to be one way or the other, maybe God did give us knowledge to unlock these doors. As many of you in this Forum know that my wife is really sick and I'm not saying that this research would maybe be that Miracle Cure but I guess if it's not tried we will never know.:reject:

I will apologize up front if I offended any one's political or religious
sensibilities. It's just my opinion on this issue.

Okay it's hammer time.................:wink:

YBORCITYOBL said:

While close to 1,800 Young Americans and countless Innocent Iraqi people have been killed in a war that seems at this point didn't really have much merit. The leader of the USA has declared the practice of stem cell research as "unethical". I know I'm going to get slammed by many after posting this - but this is coming from a registered Republican. This is what Bono was getting at in Miracle Drug - it doesn't have to be one way or the other, maybe God did give us knowledge to unlock these doors. As many of you in this Forum know that my wife is really sick and I'm not saying that this research would maybe be that Miracle Cure but I guess if it's not tried we will never know.:reject:

I will apologize up front if I offended any one's political or religious
sensibilities. It's just my opinion on this issue.

Okay it's hammer time.................:wink:

If anyone hammers you i will personally beat them to a pulp:wink:

I researched this for a bio paper, personally i am against cloning/growing embryos just to harvest stem cells....i believe it to be wrong, i also researched this alternative and i am fine with it because well it obviously does not affect my beliefs......but i can't imagine how i would feel in your situation...but i would never criticise you, or anyone in your position for trying to find this cure for your wife...and i would never condemn you for using a treatment that came from stem cells which may have a source from a method i find morally wrong, because you are just in a bad position that i wouldn't know how to react in:sad:

Good luck to you and your wife:hug:
I wish her all the best.

Thanks for the kind words LJT - this Forum is filled with really great people.:hug:

YBORCITYOBL, I cant tell, sorry, if you agree or disagree with stem cell research, but I honestly dont really give a fig what the President of America thinks of it, as an Australian. On a further note, I dont really care what the opinion is of many registered republicans who put the value of a cell above my life. Republicans who pretty much value any life except mine, and and some convicted criminals, who they are overall happy to execute for failing to be productive members of society. But that is a blatant sidetrack.

I've got the first stages of glaucoma. I've got bleeding behind my eyes. I'm off to see my opthalmologist as soon as I can so we can check how far it has progressed. The thought of going blind drives this ice cold fear into me. I'm an art student. My vision is everything to me. For the last 20 years, I have injected myself between 2 and 4 times a day. While I thank God and anyone who this being the worst I've ever had to deal with, and I am so honestly thankful that diabetes is the worst I've got, I know it's complications are numberous and can kill me. I've had one kidney play up on me already and only hope it never leads to more. I hope I can always keep my weight under control so that I lessen my risk of heart disease. I quit smoking over a month ago so that I lessen the chances of hearing those dreaded words "Sorry Anna, we cant operate". I am grateful diabetes is the worst of it. What scares me is these hidden complications which can take anyone at any time. My risk is increased and I will not have some republican stand in my way of seeing my daughter and no. 2 grow up. I will see my children leave school, get married, find good jobs, buy their first car, build or buy a house. And no one is ging to stop that. I will not let it. I am not alone either. Too many conditions akin to mine are a few steps away from being cured or experiencing immense breakthroughs.

I guess you guys didn't read the article.

I don't get what you are saying. This says there is great promise to do this research without resorting to 'growing' fetuses.

So, what's with you guys? This is great news!

Angela Harlem said:
YBORCITYOBL, I cant tell, sorry, if you agree or disagree with stem cell research, but I honestly dont really give a fig what the President of America thinks of it, as an Australian. On a further note, I dont really care what the opinion is of many registered republicans who put the value of a cell above my life. Republicans who pretty much value any life except mine, and and some convicted criminals, who they are overall happy to execute for failing to be productive members of society. But that is a blatant sidetrack.

I've got the first stages of glaucoma. I've got bleeding behind my eyes. I'm off to see my opthalmologist as soon as I can so we can check how far it has progressed. The thought of going blind drives this ice cold fear into me. I'm an art student. My vision is everything to me. For the last 20 years, I have injected myself between 2 and 4 times a day. While I thank God and anyone who this being the worst I've ever had to deal with, and I am so honestly thankful that diabetes is the worst I've got, I know it's complications are numberous and can kill me. I've had one kidney play up on me already and only hope it never leads to more. I hope I can always keep my weight under control so that I lessen my risk of heart disease. I quit smoking over a month ago so that I lessen the chances of hearing those dreaded words "Sorry Anna, we cant operate". I am grateful diabetes is the worst of it. What scares me is these hidden complications which can take anyone at any time. My risk is increased and I will not have some republican stand in my way of seeing my daughter and no. 2 grow up. I will see my children leave school, get married, find good jobs, buy their first car, build or buy a house. And no one is ging to stop that. I will not let it. I am not alone either. Too many conditions akin to mine are a few steps away from being cured or experiencing immense breakthroughs.

At first I thought we had different ideas about this but as I read along I can see we agree - I keep thinking that we are just moments away from finding cures for many diseases. The illness that my wife has put our lives in a living hell for so long now. I pray that your condition remains stable and you can enjoy all of those things with your children. Due to my wifes illness(she couldn't get pregnant) and the fact she's 6 years older than me, we will never have children and that's the one thing that breaks my heart absolutely more than anything else. At times the thought of us never having children is way too much to bear.

MadelynIris said:

I don't get what you are saying. This says there is great promise to do this research without resorting to 'growing' fetuses.

yeah, what he said.

MadelynIris said:

Maybe I didn't make my first post that clear but I do support stem cell research and I do know of the article you speak of.

MadelynIris said:

You guessed wrong, and there has been alternate methods being looked at for a very long time. Years, infact. Even in this little backwater. Finally one the conservatives think is ok, and we have permission to celebrate?
The mere development of using stem cells has been worth applauding since it was discovered, incase anyone was unaware.

And YBORCITYOBL, I've read your thread in the other forum. I'm sorry again at what you both suffer through. I certainly hope that one day she can begin to experience life as many others enjoy and take for granted and that you can be there with her as she does.
:hug:

You guessed wrong, and there has been alternate methods being looked at for a very long time. Years, infact. Even in this little backwater. Finally one the conservatives think is ok, and we have permission to celebrate?

and what conservative are you talking about?

Not any one conservative in particular. Conservatives on the whole seem against it, but this is one they wont find goes against the whole baby slaughter production line philosophy.

Angela,

I don't completely understand why your upset that some conservatives think that finding ways to convert regular cells into embryonic like stem cells, but obvioulsy it stems from arguments or issues having to do with your medical condition. No one should have to go through what you do.

But at the same time, you have to see some hope here? There are even liberal types that get creeped out about the idea of growing fetuses for medical research. Its very close to the line. Imagine the same arguments developing here as in abortion - like, can we let the fetus grow a little more or a little longer (I know that this isn't the case, but I'm sure in the future, some scientists will find reason to tempt this.)

Anyway, we all should be pleased that someone is close to the point where these stems cells can be made from regular cells, not requiring conception of early life.

And I too have reason to benefit from such research. See attached pic of my daughter, Maddy.

And BTW, I was baiting you asking which consertative you were talking about, thinking you would point to me.

But there is a conservative making front page headlines today backing stem cell research. And he's a big one!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/29/frist.stem.cells.ap/index.html

Attachments

• maddy.jpg
    maddy.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 38
Oh, I'm definitely hopeful. Dont get me wrong. And I dont mean to souind like a martyr here, lol, but docotrs have been on the verge and 'making breakthroughs' for as long as I can remember. As far as diabetes goes, there is sweet bugger all chance of a cure. It cannot be 'cured'. The islet cells are dead. For a long long time, it has been known that it will either be through unreliable cell transplant or entire pancreas transplant that will see diabetics live a somewhat more regular life. But the problem has been the unreliability of transplanting them and that it is essentially just swapping a lifetime of insulin for a lifetime of anti rejection drugs. This option has had millions of research dollars poured into it and now the advent of cell creation has opened so many doors.
I dont actually see embryonic cells as a foetus, which is why I think I hit a wall in these arguments with those adamantly against it, as their views are based on their opinion that while at cell stage, it has 'potential' to become a developed human. I put commas around that, as we all know it is the process which is the same, as science cannot recreate a womb. Yet. :slant: What also bugs me though, is that these cells can be taken from anywhere. Last time I saw my endo, he told me they could do it from fat cells. And as I have plenty of them, I'm just waiting. I'll be a guinea pig. This was probably a good 2 or so years ago, so I'm sure the actual advances are even more developed by now. I'm coincidentally seeing him on Monday and as usual I will bother him with my usual questions of when he can 'cure me', lol. But anyway, I either misunderstood him at the time, or he being quite high in the endocrine field knew that this possibility as stated in the article, was the next step. Actually, as I type I'm remembering, he even commented that the AMA would never endorse anything while the debate raged over ethics.

...And now I'm really rambling, lol. This time, preaching to the converted, it would seem :wink: Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous, but you already know that. :) She and the brave others in your photo are exactly why I cannot complain but precisely why this research has to go ahead. I hope your man Frist gets it through.
And I figured you were trying to get me to pin you, but I couldn't figure out why exactly, but now it makes perfect sense. Give your daughter a big hug, there will be a solution one day.
:hug:

I support stem cell research. My hat's off to Frist for coming out in favor of it. Nancy Reagan is right, this stuff can prevent much suffering, and I just don't see the morality in prolonging all of this suffering.

MadelynIris said:

There are even liberal types that get creeped out about the idea of growing fetuses for medical research.

Nobody is growing FETUSES for medical research. This kind of poor language choice incites fearmongering. An embryo is not a fetus nor are stem cells which are harvested from an embryo a fetus.

I'm growing one type of sc right now. In fact, I'm going go to subculture them shortly. They are fussy and difficult to grow, but the sorts of things you can do with them in experiments are absolutely astounding. I wish more people could understand that. Angela Harlem, good work is being done here, despite the difficulties that some folks would like to impose.

I feel strongly that ONE reason for the big crusade against stem-cell research is obviously the bottom-line.

Think of all the poor medical corporations whose multi-billion dollar profiteering against the sick would suddenly be cut short with a rash of cures.

And the poor investors. All that money invested in sick people only to be lost to sudden cures.

Sorry for the attitude, but I've personally dealt with it for 30+ years with no end in sight. In my case, every 'new treatment' is hailed as a breakthrough and pushed like a new sportscar. But really, it's nothing more than glamorous extortion.

Medical professionals should be paid well and rewarded for advances. But profits beyond salary and preset rewards should be greatly limited. The money should then go directly back into research and development, as well as retirement and severance packages for when a cure is achieved. This would encourage cures and reward those responsible while freeing medical people to move on to the next urgent project.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom