Elton John: "Close the Internet"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the iron horse said:

I've never been a fan of singers who sing songs they don't write.

Not sure what this has to do with anything, but Elton has written or cowritten many of his songs. You've quoted just as many that have covered or played songs written for them over the years...

Re: Re: Elton John: "Close the Internet"

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Not sure what this has to do with anything, but Elton has written or cowritten many of his songs.

The vast majority, if I have heard correctly...

And Elton's 60!?! Boy I feel old...:(

Does Elton really think his sales numbers suck because of illegal downloading??? Too funny.

Elton John - just another reason why Bono should have declined the knighthood.

I do get what he's saying, about people needing to get out & communicate...and I think that's valid. But the whole music was better back in the 70s is pretty stale...Clapton done over, without the "I can't tell the difference between U2 & Coldplay" part. He just sounds like your typical old coot longing for the good old days.

And saying "shut down the internet" just makes him sound like a kook.

Last edited:
CTU2fan said:
Does Elton really think his sales numbers suck because of illegal downloading??? Too funny.

Yeah, and when you consider that the bulk of Elton JOhn fans are probably not even that famaliar with Kazaa, Limewire or whatever those crazy kids are using to pirate these days, even funnier.

The record companies have been whining about this for years. Those same record companies declared Linkin Park the "greatest rock band in the world." If Linkin Park is the best you got for us, do you blame us for not buying your shit? Morons.

Re: Re: Elton John: "Close the Internet"

Many fine old (well they weren't old at the time) singers didn't write the songs they sang. :shrug:

I do think it's quaint that Elton John seems to think of the internet as something that can just be shut down. As it all it would take is the flip of a switch. :lol:

He said: “In the early Seventies there were at least ten albums released every week that were fantastic.

“Now you’re lucky to find ten albums a year of that quality.

“And there are more albums released each week now than there were then.”

- That's the internets fault? Who is signing these bands and producing these albums?

“Instead they sit at home and make their own records, which is sometimes OK but it doesn’t bode well for long-term artistic vision.
“We’re talking about things that are going to change the world and change the way people listen to music and that’s not going to happen with people blogging on the internet.

“I mean, get out there — communicate.

- Considering most bands begin in basements and garages....how is this any different. And ironically, I read his words ON THE INTERNET! Way to "get there and communicate", Elton.

Last edited:
UberBeaver said:

- Considering most bands begin in basements and garages....how is this any different.

pdSTBAT0001.jpg

UberBeaver said:

Yeah, and when you consider that the bulk of Elton JOhn fans are probably not even that famaliar with Kazaa, Limewire or whatever those crazy kids are using to pirate these days, even funnier.

This is what I was going to say; like his fan base is currently in high school or college...

Although, I guess you could make the argument that the kids are downloading the music illegally and then burning it to CD for their parents who are fans :slant:

Elton John not only writes the music to most of his songs, he does so effortlessly. He said in an interview once that Bernie Taupin faxes over the lyrics and when he sits down at the piano to write the music, it's done in a few minutes. Like him or not, like his music or not, he's not only a songwriter but a prolific one.

That said, he's also a grump. :lol:

The Internet has allowed artists to direct themselves, market themselves all without the need for fat cats.

There was shitty pop, there was a big trend (disco then, hip hop now? yeah, you could argue hip hop isn't just a trend, but for the sake of argument ...), there was good music if you knew where to find it.

Same as it is now. The same thing could be said for any decade. :shrug:

elevated_u2_fan said:
Is it written on stone tablets somewhere or something?

as for the music in the 70s being better?

that is more provable than a claim that "ten thingies" were written on stone tablets

deep said:

as for the music in the 70s being better?

that is more provable than a claim that "ten thingies" were written on stone tablets
Statistical analysis of my iTunes proves it to a P = 0.001 :wink:

what a stupid thing to say...but...who cares really? I don't think the Internet Overlord is gonna suddenly be like "Elton is right man, POWER OUT"

It just makes Elton sound like a cranky old man shouting "You damn kids, get off my lawn!"

So bitter old queen AND cranky old man. Well done, Elton!

elevated_u2_fan said:

According to who?

What? Is it written on stone tablets somewhere or something?

There were dozens of records that are now considered classics released in the first 7 years of the 70's alone. How many classics have been released so far this decade?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Kid A
Sea Change
Funeral

..............?

Nah. 70's win.

Well if what came out in the '70s are considered classics now, then we'll have to wait to see what's considered a '00s classic in 20-30 years.

corianderstem said:
Well if what came out in the '70s are considered classics now, then we'll have to wait to see what's considered a '00s classic in 20-30 years.

Many albums will have to age VERY well. David Bowie or Demi Moore well.

Back
Top Bottom