Elections in Italy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verte76

Blue Crack Addict
Italian politicians preach to the converted
Sunday, April 2, 2006

This means the center-right and center-left are focusing efforts on preventing sluggish sympathizers from abstaining, warning of a hellish future if their adversaries should win

CRISPIAN BALMER

ROME - Reuters

Fear and loathing stalk Italy's election campaign, as politicians try to coax disillusioned supporters into turning out to vote by painting dark visions of what will happen if they don't.

Pollsters expect no major swing of allegiance from one bloc to the other in the days left before the April 9-10 vote, with Italians staying loyal to their political roots.

This means the center-right and center-left are focusing efforts on preventing sluggish sympathizers from abstaining, warning of a hellish future if their adversaries should win.

"Very few Italian voters are prepared to switch political affiliation throughout their whole lifetime," said Andrea Vannucci, a political statistics analyst.

"Given this, it is clear the two blocs are trying to persuade their potential electorate to vote, rather than trying to poach voters from the other side."

Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has trailed in the opinion polls since early 2004. Before a poll blackout came into force last weekend, he was between 3.5 and 5.0 percentage points behind his center-left challenger, Romano Prodi.

The opposition has managed to maintain a steady lead for the past month. Some 23 percent of the electorate remained undecided when opinion polls closed last week, meaning the result could still swing right.

But most of the "undecided" are already locked into one or other bloc. The uncertainties lie only in whether they will actually vote and which party of the two blocs they plump for.

"You can't rule out a center-right victory, but if they did win it would be with a very, very small majority," said Carla Natali, a director of pollsters TNS Abacus.

Alarm bells:Given that he has to play catch-up, it is unsurprising that Berlusconi has led the way in alarmist campaigning.

He intones daily that the center left will hike taxes, warns that Communists have a history of eating babies, says homeowners face economic ruin under Prodi and bows to anti-immigrant fears by saying "we don't want a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural" Italy.

"Are we selling fear now? Yes, because the left makes people scared," an unrepentant Berlusconi told reporters this week.

Berlusconi is convinced a high turnout in April will benefit his coalition, with his own pollsters suggesting that if 82 percent of the electorate votes, the center right will win. In 2001, turnout was 81 percent.

Independent experts are sceptical, seeing no correlation between high turnout and center right victories. They point out the "undecided" are not all closet Berlusconi fans.

"In fact, the majority of the undecided indicated they were leaning more to the center left," said TNS Abacus's Natali.

A TNS analysis of the waverers showed center right sympathizers were hesitating because they were disappointed Berlusconi had not done more to boost the stagnant economy.

The undecided in the center left camp complained that Prodi's programme was unclear and feared his broad coalition, which stretches from Roman Catholic centrists to hardcore Communists, would not hold together once in power.

Remarkably, the election campaign has thrown up no memorable slogans and virtually no headline-grabbing promises.

The center right manifesto contains just 10 brief points, eight of which start: "We will continue to..." The center-left manifesto is 281 pages long, but short on detail.

Negatives count:There has been little debate on many of the core issues facing Italy -- such as how to reduce its debt mountain.

"Sadly in Italy you don't vote for something, you vote against someone," said Aldo Martelli, a Bologna doctor.

"The thing that unites the left is a hatred of Berlusconi. The thing that unites the right is a hatred of communism."

Given the dire state of Italian finances it is perhaps unsurprising that neither bloc has focused on engaging the electorate in how it plans to clear things up.

Plans by Prodi to raise taxes on interest income from state bonds has been leapt on by Berlusconi as a sign of things to come if the center left should win, triggering an avalanche of name-calling on both sides.

The poisoned atmosphere means many voters have switched off, with a poll in Il Sole 24 Ore daily this week saying 17.8 percent of Italians did not even know the election date.

"This campaign has been awful with people just calling each other 'cretin' all the time," said Arnaldo Zotti, a 68-year-old pensioner from Milan.

"I still don't know who I'll vote for. Perhaps I'll just write some expletive on the ballot and leave it at that."

sure, we know when we vote.

we don't know who to vote for coz we have not the BEST politician.

the campaign is still going on, but neither left or right seem to have a program.
it's just talk and talk about nothing

And it makes me so sick to think about my country left in the hands of people that do not think of how to make things work.

Plus, yesterday my country was shocked by a terrible news.

The body of a 17 months old kid that was kidnapped last month was found yesterday evening.

There's something extremely wrong in a society where an innocent kid can be kidnapped and killed for no reason but money.

And I wish I had some more interesting, and intelligent things to say but the only thing that comes to my mind and to my finger is that I'm disgusted.

Disgusted by the violations.

Disgusted by the fact that the killers went in front of the cameras and told everyone they were innocent and asked to release the kid.

Disgusted by the politician that think that the way to solve this is reintrodusting death penalty -- saying "if I were not a catholic, I will ask for death penalty to the people who committed this".

Disgusted and shocked, because I cannot understand where this country is going.

Berlusconi is as good for a poor worker in Italy as Bush is for the homeless in the United States.

And what I never understood about the Italians is the way they critisize Berlusconi all the years in office, and then all of a sudden two weeks before of the election they don´t kniow who to vote for. If that criticism is serious, and not quaquaraqua, how can there be any reasonable doubt who NOT to vote?

Last edited:
I have family in Italy, my brother's first wife was Italian, they lived in Rome, and had a daughter who lives in Rome and is now old enough to vote. She can't stand Berluscone. She's been to several demonstrations protesting his policies. I haven't talked to her lately but I'm sure she's planning to vote for the center-left. That's horrible about the murder of that child.:sad: :sad:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
Berlusconi is as good for a poor worker in Italy as Bush is for the homeless in the United States.

And what I never understood about the Italians is the way they critisize Berlusconi all the years in office, and then all of a sudden two weeks before of the election they don´t kniow who to vote for. If that criticism is serious, and not quaquaraqua, how can there be any reasonable doubt who NOT to vote?

What you say is correct.
Problem is that the other politicians are not what you will give your trust immediately.

I know who to vote for, but I have the impression the new government won't be so much better of the old one. You see?

lady luck said:

What you say is correct.
Problem is that the other politicians are not what you will give your trust immediately.

I know who to vote for, but I have the impression the new government won't be so much better of the old one. You see?

I see. I tend to disagree through, I think Prodi is a better choice than Berlusconi. I´m critical of the EU too (and Prodi is an EU man), but I think in the end Prodi will allow more social policies. Berlusconi can´t be interested at all, he´s a die-hard capitalist only interested in his TV stations, his money and his connections to Bush et al.

If many Italians are sick of the right and the left like you say, why don´t they create new ones? You have many brilliant people there. Benigni would make a good ministerio della cultura. Italy has a great judicial system too - they even have the power to regulate politicians at times.

btw what about Bossi and the Lega? Always thought this was a phenomenon of some racist northern Italians.

If many Italians are sick of the right and the left like you say, why don´t they create new ones? You have many brilliant people there. Benigni would make a good ministerio della cultura. Italy has a great judicial system too - they even have the power to regulate politicians at times.

Simple answer: the problem is that we're really good in criticizing without create new things.

Bossi and the lega is another thing I'll never understand of this country... Their program is basically racist -- towards the immigrants and towards the Italians that were born in the south and are now living in the north. I'm REALLY scared by the fact that this party is followed so much. I don't even understand how's possible to keep alive a party that say that the "goal" should be to get independence for the northern area.. Our constitution says Italy is one and in not possible to make separation... Not to mention the "treatments" reserved to the foreigners immigrants...
If this is not enough, when of the people of this party was a member of the Goverment (Ministry of Reforms). Perhaps you know his name -- Calderoli -- thanks to his "show" during the mess of the Denish cartoon.

This reminds me of our 2004 elections. It was all about criticising someone and not really believing in either side.

And not to mention the fact that Mr. Berlusconi has referred to the people who will vote for Prodi as "bollocks" ...

Here's the latest on the Italian elections. In a little bit I'm going to call my niece. She hopes Berlusconi gets clobbered.

ROME - The AP and AFP

Italians got a break from bitter political rhetoric on Saturday, a day before general elections and at the end of a divisive race that was largely consumed by mudslinging.

"Finally it's over, we vote," headlined moderate daily La Stampa.

Premier Silvio Berlusconi and his center-left rival, Romano Prodi, wrapped up their campaigns on Friday -- the last day campaigning was allowed.

Some complained that the personal bickering had prevented any serious discussion of issues.

"The insistence with which we have asked Prodi and Berlusconi to tell us of their platforms and of how they would face the country's problems has been wasted breath," wrote top commentator Sergio Romano in Saturday's front page editorial on leading daily Corriere della Sera.

Characterizing the election today and Monday as a choice between two systems of values, he said, "Let's choose an Italy of rights, of tolerance, of respect of all, of well-being."

Speaking at the same time in a square in downtown Rome, Prodi appealed for unity.

"Mine is not only an appeal to go to the polls, but a call for the reconstruction of the country," said Prodi, a former premier and EU chief. "Only together can we make it."

Meanwhile, the Italian opposition cried foul after Berlusconi appeared on one of his television networks for a 20-minute interview to cap off his election campaign, press reports said on Saturday.

The daily La Repubblica dubbed the appearance the "last swipe" by the billionaire media magnate, already chastened three times previously during the campaign for hogging the airwaves in violation of strict electoral rules.

The Olive Tree coalition, grouping most center-left parties, immediately condemned the appearance.

"Despite a reminder from the Communications Authority (AGCOM), Channel 4 broadcast a lengthy appearance by the prime minister, who was interviewed alone in a studio," it said in a statement late on Friday.

Last edited:
at this moment, 66,5% of people have voted...
In more or less 5 hours the vote will be closed and we will have the exit poll...

exit polls say that Prodi is winning with 4/5 points more than Berlusconi...
But this is unofficial, so we will have to wait.

Italy's Prodi set to win election: exit polls

ROME (Reuters) - Center-left leader Romano Prodi looks set to beat Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi in Italy's general election, winning a majority in both houses of parliament, according to exit polls released on Monday.

A poll by the Nexus research institute predicted that Prodi's alliance would win between 50 and 54 percent of the vote in both the lower and upper houses of parliament.

Berlusconi's center-right bloc was shown winning 45 to 49 percent of the vote in both houses according to the poll, broadcast by state television RAI.

A separate poll by Piepoli, shown on Sky Italia television, showed former European Commission president Prodi winning 52 percent of the vote in the lower house, to give it 340 of the chamber's 630 seats.

Excellent news, now let's hope these exit polls are accurate! :applaud:

I wonder if there are anymore lawsuits waiting for Berlusconi. :hmm:

DrTeeth said:
Excellent news, now let's hope these exit polls are accurate! :applaud:

I wonder if there are anymore lawsuits waiting for Berlusconi. :hmm:

sure there are!

Italian general election hangs by a thread :grumpy:

"The scenario right now is that either we win by a narrow margin or they win by a narrow margin," said Fabrizio Cicchitto, co-ordinator of Berlusconi's Forza Italia (Go Italy) party.

"With such a tight balance of power it will certainly be difficult to govern ... (Fresh elections) are one of the possibilities, but we can't decide this now," he said.

:mad: :mad:

Damn, I thought Berlusconi was a goner. If he's not my in-laws are going to be awfully pissed. So, for that matter, will I. I can't stand Berlusconi. I'm getting tired of his head in Bush's ass every time you turn around. :mad: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Last edited:
How good is the Italian voting process?

The all day voting Sunday and Monday is good for participation. 85%

Will there be any claims of voting irregularities?

What are the chances of fraud?

No Clear Winner

Italy Heads Toward Split in Parliament

Final results in the two-day vote ending Monday showed Romano Prodi's center-left coalition gaining control in the lower house of parliament, with 49.8 percent of the vote compared to 49.7 won by Berlusconi's conservatives. The winning coalition is automatically awarded 55 percent of the seats.

According to the results, Berlusconi's center-right coalition held a one-seat lead in the Senate; six seats elected abroad were still to be counted, but if the lead stands, the split could usher in a new period of political instability for Italy.

Back
Top Bottom