Election Postmortem - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 01:54 PM
Election Postmortem

POSTMORTEM

What do you think are the one or two top reasons the GOP lost so many voters this time around? Not whether or not they should have but why they did. FYM analysis time.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Iraq
Overreaching power/corruption

It scared off the Independents who broke for the Democrats, and traditional Republicans were pissed off at the way their own party was getting off track.

Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:54 PM
Iraq
Sandals/corruption

no brainer. Also reflected in the exits, which surprised everyone by showing corruption as the no. 1 issue over Iraq.

Also running more conservative Democrats in areas where that seemed necessary. Case in point: Bob Casey in PA, or Webb in VA.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #4
War Child

People thinking since they are not happy with what they have anything would be better.

In the filthy smear campaign, Webb was able to destroy Allen with more ammo than Allen was able to uncover and use against him. You should have seen the overkill in commercials, some played back to back, some even repeated a few minutes later. In my opinion neither of these men deserved to win. Same with the mess in Tennessee.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:54 PM
Since my own state (Indiana) has been fairly widely noted in media "postmortems" as one textbook example of an about-face and I think some of the relevant factors there are distinct, I'll list those separately.

Nationally

1) Iraq. Not just that it's dragged on longer and with more complications than much of the electorate anticipated, but also the perception that the Administration's response to this has been characterized by "Everything's fine--we're doing everything as well as could be expected no matter what certain generals say, and how dare anyone be so traitorous as to suggest otherwise."

2) Dismay at perceived increases in political corruption--Abramoff, Foley et al., as well as growing consternation that we may be straying dangerously outside the bounds of international ethical norms as recognized by our allies with regard to certain policies implemented as part of GWOT (treatment of detainees, circumventions of normal judicial process as entailed by parts of the Patriot Act, etc.).

Locally

1) Dissatisfaction with an atypically (in terms of state precedent) conservative Republican governor. Many Republican governors were voted out this election.

2) Increasing distrust of hard-core ideologues of whatever stripe. It is noteworthy of most of the representatives who were elected here this time around, Republican or Democrat, that they were moderates or sought to present themselves as such.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 11-09-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Butterscotch
People thinking since they are not happy with what they have anything would be better.

In the filthy smear campaign, Webb was able to destroy Allen with more ammo than Allen was able to uncover and use against him. In my opinion neither of these men deserved to win. Same with the mess in Tennessee.
Actually Allen had more ammo than Webb, he just used it against himself
Old 11-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat

Actually Allen had more ammo than Webb, he just used it against himself
I know, but I'm sure he tried his best to dig up whatever he could! Allen also stepped in a lot of dog piles on his own, and this was used against him.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Webb really didn't dig up that much on Allen. He ran against the Iraq war and President Bush's policies of which Allen supported 96% of the time, Webb really did stick to the issues. It was the Allen camp and the media who dug up the dirt.

Edited to add: The Webb campaign was horribly managed, there was little to no organization, they had terrible outreach, and despite all this they still managed to win.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Election Postmortem

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
POSTMORTEM

What do you think are the one or two top reasons the GOP lost so many voters this time around? Not whether or not they should have but why they did. FYM analysis time.
I want to say Iraq because I think that is the general topic of interest among voters. However, it's not just us being there I think. I think it is about how the situation is being handled, and a lot of the scary outcomes.

I think what I mean to say is not just the American presence in the war, but the sub-issues that resulted, for example the mental and health effects of the many soldiers that have returned, the big torture scandal, and so many more that I just can't remember right now.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:24 PM
I heard part of Bush's comments yesterday regarding a message to the front lines. I was totally dismayed to hear his remarks and their implications.

"Amid this time of change, I have a message for those on the front lines: To our enemies, do not be joyful. Do not confuse the workings of our democracy with a lack of will. Our nation is committed to bringing you to justice. Liberty and democracy are the source of America's strength, and liberty and democracy will lift up the hopes and desires of those you are trying to destroy.

To the people of Iraq: Do not be fearful. As you take the difficult steps toward democracy and peace, America's going to stand with you. We know you want a better way of life, and now is the time to seize it.

To our brave men and women in uniform: Don't be doubtful. America will always support you."

My read on this is that he is implying the terrorists are supporting the Democrats thus making the Democrats the choice of terrorists. Also, telling the troops not to be doubtful about support, voting against the Republicans is not supporting the troops. Ridiculous!

Howard Dean deserves a lot of credit for orchestrating this Democrat comeback too. Believe it or not!!
Old 11-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k

My read on this is that he is implying the terrorists are supporting the Democrats thus making the Democrats the choice of terrorists. Also, telling the troops not to be doubtful about support, voting against the Republicans is not supporting the troops. Ridiculous!
yep, vote GOP or your babies will be eaten by terrorists.

isn't that how bush got re-elected?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:14 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by trevster2k
I heard part of Bush's comments yesterday regarding a message to the front lines. I was totally dismayed to hear his remarks and their implications.

"Amid this time of change, I have a message for those on the front lines: To our enemies, do not be joyful. Do not confuse the workings of our democracy with a lack of will. Our nation is committed to bringing you to justice. Liberty and democracy are the source of America's strength, and liberty and democracy will lift up the hopes and desires of those you are trying to destroy.

To the people of Iraq: Do not be fearful. As you take the difficult steps toward democracy and peace, America's going to stand with you. We know you want a better way of life, and now is the time to seize it.

To our brave men and women in uniform: Don't be doubtful. America will always support you."

Howard Dean deserves a lot of credit for orchestrating this Democrat comeback too. Believe it or not!!
He is such an ass. The only ones who are fearful and doubtful (about this election) is himself and his corrupt blood/oil hungry cabinet.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:54 AM
not true, has he many people fearful. the last 6 years of republican power have all been based on fear.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I think out of control spending and huge deficits also swung some independents.

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Webb really didn't dig up that much on Allen. He ran against the Iraq war and President Bush's policies of which Allen supported 96% of the time, Webb really did stick to the issues. It was the Allen camp and the media who dug up the dirt.

Edited to add: The Webb campaign was horribly managed, there was little to no organization, they had terrible outreach, and despite all this they still managed to win.
The DNCC also ran a lot of ads. So a lot of the negativity was from them. I thought the outeach was good. I received both phone calls and flyers.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:18 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I've voted straight ticket Republican in the past and this time, they lost my votes because I've seen nothing that compels me to vote in their favor and I've heard no plans for the future that mean anything to me. At least where I live, all they talked about was Iraq, gay marriage, abortion....when the things I care about are education, health care, individual rights, JOBS, etc.

Honestly it wasn't about Iraq for me, but pretty much everything else they ignored that they shouldn't have and everything they preached about that I don't think are any of their business.