Effectiveness of Gun Control? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-23-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 10:09 PM
Effectiveness of Gun Control?

Quote:
The report by two Australian academics, published in the British Journal of Criminology, said statistics gathered in the decade since Port Arthur showed gun deaths had been declining well before 1996 and the buyback of more than 600,000 mainly semi-automatic rifles and pump-action shotguns had made no difference in the rate of decline.

The only area where the package of Commonwealth and State laws, known as the National Firearms Agreement (NFA) may have had some impact was on the rate of suicide, but the study said the evidence was not clear and any reductions attributable to the new gun rules were slight.

"Homicide patterns (firearm and non-firearm) were not influenced by the NFA, the conclusion being that the gun buyback and restrictive legislative changes had no influence on firearm homicide in Australia," the study says. . . .

The significance of the article was not who had written it but the fact it had been published in a respected journal after the regular rigorous process of being peer reviewed, she said.

Politicians had assumed tighter gun laws would cut off the supply of guns to would-be criminals and that homicide rates would fall as a result, the study said. But more than 90 per cent of firearms used to commit homicide were not registered, their users were not licensed and they had been unaffected by the firearms agreement.
link
__________________

__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 03:41 AM   #2
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 11:09 PM
Well i'd still raher live in a country where owning a gun is illigal then in a country where its not.

Gun control is effective, it takes a weapon of death out of the hands of idiots and puts it into the hands of expert people. Sure there are some black market or stolen ones, but there are always a few bad apples no matter where you are.
__________________

__________________
dazzlingamy is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 03:59 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 10:09 PM
What these studies show is that it takes the guns out of the hands of responsible registered legal owners and leaves them in the hands of idiots.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 04:03 AM   #4
Refugee
 
dazzlingamy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Posts: 2,468
Local Time: 11:09 PM
Hardly I believe. I'd rather no guns at all, every gun in australia melted down, and no guns coming in to australia, but this is the best we can do i guess.
__________________
dazzlingamy is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 04:10 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 10:09 PM
I think that Switzerland offers an example of high rates of responsible gun ownership; gun violence is a function of a crime rate and that has more to do with socio-economic factors than the right of citizens to undergo background checks and own registered fireams.
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 06:09 AM
But how many guns were taken out of circulation, not just legal hands?
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
But how many guns were taken out of circulation, not just legal hands?
It's a heck of a lot easier and less dangerous to take guns out of law-abiders hands' than it is to take them out of the hands of law-breakers.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


It's a heck of a lot easier and less dangerous to take guns out of law-abiders hands' than it is to take them out of the hands of law-breakers.
No doubt, but that's not what I asked. This is what many pro-gun activists don't get. The guns on the black market are guns manufactured by legal manufacturers. For gun control to really work, they all need to be controlled not just the legally owned guns.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 03:06 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


No doubt, but that's not what I asked. This is what many pro-gun activists don't get. The guns on the black market are guns manufactured by legal manufacturers. For gun control to really work, they all need to be controlled not just the legally owned guns.
Those who are against unreasonable gun control do get that point; in fact, that's the point we make. As you said, for gun control to really work, they all need to be controlled not just the legally owned guns. We add the point that it can't be done. Guns will never be eliminated from bad guys' hands, even if you shut down every legal manufactuing plant in the US. People will still get guns from other soyurces, including the ability to make guns themselves.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


Those who are against unreasonable gun control do get that point; in fact, that's the point we make. As you said, for gun control to really work, they all need to be controlled not just the legally owned guns. We add the point that it can't be done. Guns will never be eliminated from bad guys' hands, even if you shut down every legal manufactuing plant in the US. People will still get guns from other soyurces, including the ability to make guns themselves.
Guns will never be eliminated because there are too many with big pockets that don't want them eliminated.

And yeah I really don't see street gangs in inner cities having the abilities to manufacture guns.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 05:41 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


And yeah I really don't see street gangs in inner cities having the abilities to manufacture guns.
Not on a large scale, but they can certainly make dangerous guns and explosives on their own.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest


Not on a large scale, but they can certainly make dangerous guns and explosives on their own.
If we get to this point we have really fucked up. If inner-city kids living in the ghetto get to the point where they can manufacture their own guns then law enforcement and pro-gun nuts have screwed this country.
__________________
BVS is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life
 
A_Wanderer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Wild West
Posts: 12,518
Local Time: 10:09 PM
Guns are also manafactured outside the USA, believe it or not, and it can be lucrative to import them illegally for profit
__________________
A_Wanderer is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 11:12 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


If we get to this point we have really fucked up. If inner-city kids living in the ghetto get to the point where they can manufacture their own guns then law enforcement and pro-gun nuts have screwed this country.
Explain this, please. Explain how someone making his own gun can be blamed on law enforcement.
__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
Old 10-24-2006, 11:13 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
80sU2isBest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 4,970
Local Time: 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Guns are also manafactured outside the USA, believe it or not, and it can be lucrative to import them illegally for profit
It certainly is.
__________________

__________________
80sU2isBest is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com