Edwards supports prayer in schools, says Jesus likely upset with America - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Edwards supports prayer in schools, says Jesus likely upset with America

I found this very interesting. It seems like the Sojourner influence is upon us. More Democrats are talking about their faith. And get this, they're starting to make some sense, too. (gasp)

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) -- Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards says Jesus would be appalled at how the United States has ignored the plight of the suffering, and that he believes children should have private time to pray at school.
Edwards, in an interview with the Web site Beliefnet.com, said Jesus would be most upset with the selfishness of Americans and the country's willingness to go to war "when it's not necessary."

"I think that Jesus would be disappointed in our ignoring the plight of those around us who are suffering and our focus on our own selfish short-term needs," Edwards told the site. "I think he would be appalled, actually."
Edwards also said he was against teacher-led prayers in public schools, but he added that "allowing time for children to pray for themselves, to themselves, I think is not only OK, I think it's a good thing."
In the interview, the former North Carolina senator discussed how he lost touch with his day-to-day faith during college, but that it "came roaring back" after the death of his 16-year-old son, Wade, in 1996.
Edwards has often cited religion as a part of his politics, frequently linking his efforts to fight poverty as a matter of morality.
Edwards was interviewed by David Kuo, a conservative Christian who served as deputy director of President Bush's Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives until 2003. Kuo wrote a book, "Tempting Faith, An Inside Story of Political Seduction," that said Bush aides privately called conservative Christians "nuts," "ridiculous" and "goofy."
Edwards told Kuo he stood by a decision to keep two bloggers on his staff despite their provocative writings criticizing the Catholic Church. Edwards said he also found the writing offensive, but "decided to forgive them and stand by them, knowing there would be potential political consequences for that."
The bloggers later quit, saying they didn't want to be a liability to the campaign.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oh yeah — this makes Ann Coulter look even more like a piece of poo.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I read the whole interview yesterday on the site, here's the link if anyone's interested

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/213/s....html#extndVer
Old 03-06-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

i always tend to listen better when people use words like "god" and "jesus" and then don't follow said words with a justification of bigotry, or condemnation, or self-righteousness, self-aggrandizement.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:00 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:36 PM
As long as it doesn't turn out like a mandatory, "So kids, now get your five minutes of prayer done." kind of thing.

Quote:
It’s time to stomp out atheists in America. The majority of Americans would love to see atheists kicked out of America. If you don’t believe in God, then get out of this country.

The United States is based on having freedom of religion, speech, etc., which means you can believe in God any way you want (Baptist, Catholic, Methodist, etc.), but you must believe.

I don’t recall freedom of religion meaning no religion. Our currency even says, “In God We Trust.” So, to all the atheists in America: Get off of our country.

Atheists have casued the ruin of this great nation by taking prayer out of our school sna being able to rpactice what can only be called evil. I don’t care if they have never committed a crime, atheists are the reason crime is rampant.
http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2007/...n-on-atheists/

I found this one pretty funny
Old 03-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:36 AM
I would support having a room for students who want to use it during break period to pray if they wanted to.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
She's the One

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
I would support having a room for students who want to use it during break period to pray if they wanted to.
As long as all forms of prayer are acceptable, and not just the ones Edwards approves of.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

As long as all forms of prayer are acceptable, and not just the ones Edwards approves of.
Of course. I would love to see, Buddhists, Taoists, christians, muslims and jewish and any other religion perform it's prayers.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24

Of course. I would love to see, Buddhists, Taoists, christians, muslims and jewish and any other religion perform it's prayers.
but that would make baby Jesus cry
Old 03-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Private time for prayer is much differenet then conservative Christian's view of school prayer.

I always found it to be an empty issue, do you know how many kids pray in school, especially during finals?
Old 03-06-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I know I sure did. Unfortunately, not too many were answered.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:36 PM
I don't get the whole prayer in schools issue. No one can stop anyone from praying -- anywhere or at any time. Anyone and everyone can pray anywhere and everywhere. The only thing they can't do is pray in such a way that shouts "HEY!!! Look at me -- I'm praying over here!!!"

And to me that's an extremely ugly and self serving way to pray anyway.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:36 PM
lol, this is like reading stories from good old hellas..."i sense Zeus' wrath, guys!"

"oh no, poseidon is totally gonna drown us all if we dont stop this and sacrifice a few female slaves at his temple!!!"
Old 03-06-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I don't get the whole prayer in schools issue. No one can stop anyone from praying -- anywhere or at any time. Anyone and everyone can pray anywhere and everywhere. The only thing they can't do is pray in such a way that shouts "HEY!!! Look at me -- I'm praying over here!!!"

And to me that's an extremely ugly and self serving way to pray anyway.

Nice job, indra. You're right on.
Old 03-06-2007, 06:15 PM   #15
She's the One

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
The only thing they can't do is pray in such a way that shouts "HEY!!! Look at me -- I'm praying over here!!!"
And this is what worries me about seemingly innocuous calls for prayer in school. The peer pressure thing that's a part of every school and every grade will come into play.

"We're all gonna go pray, Janie. How come you're not?" Maybe Janie prefers to keep her prayer completely private, maybe Janie doesn't pray, maybe Janie doesn't want to go with those kids to the Prayer Room.

Either way, it becomes a school/government sanctioned activity, with someone left out because of a different set of beliefs.

I don't like it.