Edwards in '08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicholsfornixon

The Fly
Back to the subject of Edwards in '08...

Just thought I would point out that by the time that 2008 rolls around John Edwards will be a nobody. Why should anyone care about Edwards? He's a one-term senator who's seat was just won by Burr, a republican, and who's home state voted for Bush on Tuesday by a bigger margin than it did in 2000. Now, Edwards is the former running mate on a failed democratic ticket. He brought little if anything to the ticket (name the state that Edwards helped Kerry win). By the time 2008 rolls around he will have been completely out of the public eye for the last four years. What makes anyone think that Edwards will be able to best someone like Hillary in 2008? He'll run for the nomination, but he'll get clobbered.

Getting the VP nomination shows that Edwards knows a thing or two about politics.

A little seasoning and he will be a formidible foe for the GOP.

Flying FuManchu said:
I agree with nicholsfornixon. If Edwards isn't able to stay in the public eye, then he will be toast.

Exactly. If Hillary Clinton decides to run, which I think she almost certainly will, Edwards would be facing an uphill battle anyway. Clinton will have access to her husbands unparalleled campaign staff (folks like Carville, Begala, Lockheart, etc will almost certainly all be on board), she will have access to all of his campaign donors, and she will have the ability to immediately electrify the democratic base and lots of free access to the media. And of course, Hillary will be able to cash in on all those favors she's owed by all of the candidates she's stumped for over the last four years. Unless Edwards manages to stay in the public eye for the next four years and manages to cultivate a skilled and dedicated campaign team, he is almost certainly toast.

It is my personal opinion that Edward's political career effectively ended on Nov. 2, 2004.

I am not so sure about that, he did well in the primaries and judging by the competition he could be very formidable.

What I fear most about Edwards is that he's in his 50's now, by 2008 he might start losing a fair amount of his hair, when that happens - he's done with. His hair is about all he had to run on this year.

Surely he won't be rehashing those 'Mahhh Daddy Worked At A Mill" stories in 2008, I can recite those in my sleep now.

As for the 2 Americas speech which he would give when he ran out of the sonofamillworkerspeech, we saw on Tuesday there really are two Americas, those that go to church and vote, and those that don't go to church and vote. If he spent less time in the courtroom trying to fill his pockets with money and more time in Church, he might get somewhere.

Tens of millions of Christians have been mobilized, we're done sitting at the back of the bus, we came out on Tuesday to reclaim our Christian nation, and we have no problem flushing the johns again in 2008.

GOP_Catholic, you are really annoying. Gad, I have friends who are nuns and they are much more kind and decent than you, so it can't be the Catholic thing. And I have friends who are republicans, so the GOP thing can't be the reason either. So I guess it's just you.

As for the actual topic, I think it's too early to do serious planning on exactly who to run, but some foundation work needs to be laid, so whichever candidate is chosen will have a good base.

GOP_Catholic said:

Tens of millions of Christians have been mobilized, we're done sitting at the back of the bus, we came out on Tuesday to reclaim our Christian nation, and we have no problem flushing the johns again in 2008.

spam.jpg

GOP_Catholic said:
What I fear most about Edwards is that he's in his 50's now, by 2008 he might start losing a fair amount of his hair, when that happens - he's done with. His hair is about all he had to run on this year.

Surely he won't be rehashing those 'Mahhh Daddy Worked At A Mill" stories in 2008, I can recite those in my sleep now.

As for the 2 Americas speech which he would give when he ran out of the sonofamillworkerspeech, we saw on Tuesday there really are two Americas, those that go to church and vote, and those that don't go to church and vote. If he spent less time in the courtroom trying to fill his pockets with money and more time in Church, he might get somewhere.

:coocoo:

You crack me up with your john flushing and bus driving. You're crazy funny, GOP!

Finally, after all the serious, intelligent debate over the years, FYM is funny!!! Yay GOP for bringing crazy humor into every rational debate!

Now go away.

adam's_mistress said:

:coocoo:

You crack me up with your john flushing and bus driving. You're crazy funny, GOP!

Finally, after all the serious, intelligent debate over the years, FYM is funny!!! Yay GOP for bringing crazy humor into every rational debate!

Now go away.

What a great post! :applaud:

I couldn't help but LOL at that...

I sort of doubt though that his looks will go after 4 years. We've all seen how well he takes care of his hair. I don't think he will have hair problems...

:wink:

Experience factor also hurt Edwards IMO. With no Senate position... the road gets tougher for him. I also think the idea of Obama running after 4 years is a little far-fetched even though I'm sure people from all over have dubbed him the 2nd coming and are pushing him to run.

anitram, I find your post extremely disrespectful to genuine spam.

GOP_Catholic, if you don't have anything to add to the subject of the thread, please leave it alone.

Last edited:
speedracer said:
anitram, I find your post extremely disrespectful to genuine spam.

GOP_Catholic, if you don't have anything to add to the subject of the thread, please leave it alone.

:lmao:

As for Edwards I've been contemplating what he could do between now and '08 to keep up his image (ignoring all of GOP_Catholic's posts), the only thing I can come up with is DNC chairman, which may be too political. However, if it helps keep his name out there in the Dem party I'll go with that. I'm sorry GOP_Catholic doesn't appreciate a good rags to riches story every once in awhile.

Anybody outside of Terry McCauliffe would be an improvement IMO. However, you're right about the position being too political. The amount spin (and anti-opposition spin) he would have to go through and repeat would sink his likeabilty. I mean its possible to be the DNC head and not look too partisan crazy (or maybe its McCauliffe who gives me such a negative impression of heads of National Committees) but I think it would be very difficult.

Edwards would have to look like he's above the fray yet be knee deep in it... near impossible. Marc Raciot gives a good image/ appearance of being reasonable and non-partisan but he also comes off like a sleepwalker or too quiet-like (think log) which contributes to that image.

anitram said:

Instead of flashing up a 12 ounce can of SPAM, you should have posted a 45 million pound heap of SPAM to represent the 60 million people just like me that voted just like I did. You can call it SPAM and ignore it, we don't care, I'm in the majority, the folks that think it's spam are in the minority. Now silently eat your spam in the back, while us Christians are upfront in the bus cleaning up this nation and making sure Edwards never has a voice in America again, unless Edwards finds his Saviour and decides to join us.

You know what GOP, many people I know voted for Bush and none of them are like you and would agree with you, and they're the most conservative and religious people of all.

U2Traveller said:
You know what GOP, many people I know voted for Bush and none of them are like you and would agree with you, and they're the most conservative and religious people of all.

Let's try to keep this thread about John Edwards and any political future he may have, thank you.

GOP_Catholic said:

Let's try to keep this thread about John Edwards and any political future he may have, thank you.

We will when you stop trolling the thread.

Back to the topic.

If a man can manueuver himself politically to grap a VP nomination, how can we possible assume that he will fail in 2008?

This is akin to thinking Bush is stupid. Yeah, the guy now has a second term, and we think HE is stupid.

Flying FuManchu said:
Anybody outside of Terry McCauliffe would be an improvement IMO.

Hear hear!

The big thing that concerns me is indeed what is he going to do between now and then? it will be a big gap. No one running against him will be able to run against a record because he won't have one with the most current issues. Maybe governor or something.

nbcrusader said:

Back to the topic.

If a man can manueuver himself politically to grap a VP nomination, how can we possible assume that he will fail in 2008?

This is akin to thinking Bush is stupid. Yeah, the guy now has a second term, and we think HE is stupid.

I'm not saying that it would be impossible for Edwards to be nominated in 2008. However he has a lot of things going against him NOW till the next election compared to this year. Dick Gephardt actually did real well in the primaries (during the 80s I think). However, his downfall was that he ran out of money near the end and couldn't finish his campaign. Gephardt, takes a break and comes back as a decent favorite this year only to get stomped. You can be big one year and mud in the future. People are fickle. Just ask Gore. IMO Edwards gets handicapped even more if he doesn't have some kind of postion to get occasional exposure or an impact position.

Somone also mentioned the loser tag... that does make a difference. Losing a primary and then the campaign for the presidency doesn't raise your electability, otherwise Gore might have run again or Leiberman might have made more of an impact.

Also there are always the threat of "new stars" upsurping his run.

Last edited:
Naw... IMO he became more fringey this past year to try to "energize the party." If the mainstream media portrays him that way (which they did, everytime he talked), then the image will stick pretty hard.

If you're saying "pull a Nixon," in terms of committing crimes worthy of jail. I think Gore is above that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom