Eating Disorders - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

That makes sense. Is it accurate to say eating disorders are part of the obsessive-compulsive disorder family?
Sorry, I missed this post. I think eating disorders are much more like depression and a lot like cutting, but yes they are like OCD in that it is a disease, not just a bad habit.

Old 12-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:54 AM
some people think i have an eating disorder because i'm so darn skinny, but i just have high metabolism. i eat when i'm hungry, and i eat until i'm full. i know its a disease, but i just have no comprehension of how someone could starve themself or throw up such yummy food! i would be interested to see the rate of eating disorders as society has become progressively focused on being skinny.

Old 12-20-2004, 01:05 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

as far as male issues go, there are similar problems especially among gay men -- who are subjected to nearly impossible standards of beauty on par with straight women -- but this usually manifests itself less as anorexia and more as exercise addiction, and the use/abuse of supplements some of which are legal and can be purchased at GNC, others of which are not. the emphasis is less on celery and more on egg whites, but the root of the obsessions with body and image and control are pretty much the same. the lit theory student in me would get into notions of what's known as "the male gaze" -- as in, this perceived microscope those who are attracted to men feel as if they are under, and the subsequent pressure to operate and to internally control external action to conform to what is perceived to be most pleasing to said gaze. a bit convoluded, perhaps, but the interesting thing is that, at the root of it, it's less what other people think and more what YOU think they are thinking, and breaking free of this cycle is quite difficult.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:08 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
some people think i have an eating disorder because i'm so darn skinny, but i just have high metabolism. i eat when i'm hungry, and i eat until i'm full. i know its a disease, but i just have no comprehension of how someone could starve themself or throw up such yummy food! i would be interested to see the rate of eating disorders as society has become progressively focused on being skinny.

My roommate (Ultraviolet Light) is also skinny and has a high metabolism and people always tease her too. We think it's absolutely rediculous b/c 1)it's not funny to kid about that kind of thing, with ANYONE 2)if you think you have a right to kid someone about possibly having an ED, you better at least know a bit more about it. There are so many other physical indicators of eating disorders besides "skinny". People can be so dumb
Old 12-20-2004, 01:13 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

My roommate (Ultraviolet Light) is also skinny and has a high metabolism and people always tease her too. We think it's absolutely rediculous b/c 1)it's not funny to kid about that kind of thing, with ANYONE 2)if you think you have a right to kid someone about possibly having an ED, you better at least know a bit more about it. There are so many other physical indicators of eating disorders besides "skinny". People can be so dumb
Oh, my goodness, not to mention "so cruel". That's inexcusable.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:15 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
i would be interested to see the rate of eating disorders as society has become progressively focused on being skinny.
I think this is a false correlation. Culture's obsession with thinness and more eating disorders don't prove any causation. I think the increasing frequencies of EDs have more to do with the availability of food than culture's focus on thinness. What I mean is, an ED is about control and food/weight is what is used. In our Western society, we have food available in luxurious amounts so it's easy to use food as a means of control. I bet teens who are in situations where they are/could be starving don't have EDs (probably other things like drugs, alcohol, depression...some other means). And like I said before, pretend you were kind of unstable...now say today you see a skinny model on TV and then later on find out your parents are getting divorsed and you're stuck in the middle b/c they're fighting over who gets to keep you just to piss each other off. Which of these things (skinny model vs. impending divorce and custody battle) do you think would make you more likely to do something, anything, to re-gain control?
Old 12-20-2004, 01:50 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
as far as male issues go, there are similar problems especially among gay men -- who are subjected to nearly impossible standards of beauty on par with straight women -- but this usually manifests itself less as anorexia and more as exercise addiction, and the use/abuse of supplements some of which are legal and can be purchased at GNC, others of which are not.
This is so true. My gay male friends who are entering their 40s are having a much more difficult time with ageing than my women friends of the same age. They are obsessed with their appearance more and more in a way that is beginning to concern me.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:54 PM   #23
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:54 AM
So it's most likely that an eating disorder could manifest itself in someone when he or she feels especially out of control, whether or not they had any previous symptoms or ever had an odd relationship with food?

Join Amnesty.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:58 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:54 PM
Quote:
LOL You ARE the younger me.

I was teased mercilessly at every school, etc I went to. I was not anorexic but was called "Annie". Huge dent to my fragile ego.

If people are wanting to identify who has an eating disorder for altruist reasons, then more power to them. But most of the time I feel its just bitching.

There is an unwritten rule in society to not scream "Hey fatty" to overweight peple. Okay children and insensitive people do it but most of us dont.

But is socially acceptable to talk about skinny people in a derogatory fashion. I dont believe that should be the case.

Not that people in this thread have. I just wanted to point out... err something. Maybe I have a lot of anger still about the way society treats healthy skinny people. Dunno.

/venting
Old 12-20-2004, 02:01 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:54 AM
Joyfulgirl, that's odd about your friends. Sad, too-so many people freak about aging, and I know it can have some downsides, but people get older, that's life, and it's gonna happen whether you want it to or not. You said you're concerned about them-hopefully their worries over aging don't get TOO serious.

About being thin-some people have commented on my thin appearance, too. I do eat, my problem is that I just don't eat a lot of the healthier foods as often as I should, so I don't have much muscle to me and everything. I also definitely agree with LivLuv's points, particularly her second one.

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
There is a whole bunch of insecurity out there, and I think many people are afraid to talk about their insecurities because they've been told, unfortunately, that insecurity is a sign of weakness and they shouldn't "give in" to it. This is screwy. It's not a sign of weakness. It's a sign of being human.
So true.

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I'd be lying big time if I claimed I didn't have any insecurities. Trust me, I do!
*Nods* I do, too. I mentioned being skinny earlier-that's an insecurity of mine. I want to gain some weight, I'm tired of people constantly commenting on how skinny I am. I particularly don't like my legs, I don't like how scrawny they are. That's why I don't like wearing shorter skirts or shorts often.

Angela
Old 12-20-2004, 02:09 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, my particular insecurities are a completely different ballgame, they have to do with having this little touch of autism, or Asperger's Syndrome. But everyone has issues of some sort, so I don't think I'm out of the "ordinary". I'm really thankful that my family life is stable, my parents didn't go through a messy divorce and fight over me and all that horrible kind of thing. I'd be in all sorts of trouble if I hadn't had a stable family environment.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:09 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Quote:
some people think i have an eating disorder because i'm so darn skinny, but i just have high metabolism. i eat when i'm hungry, and i eat until i'm full.
this happened to me all the time when i was a teenager, despite the fact that i was perfectly healthy. i remember my mother freaking out at me when i took an interest in eating healthier when i was 13, she thought i was trying to diet to lose weight and accused me of being anorexic (seriously, not in a joking manner). all because i started eating salad.

there are still a lot of misconceptions floating around about eating disorders.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:20 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dandy

when i was 13, she thought i was trying to diet to lose weight and accused me of being anorexic (seriously, not in a joking manner). all because i started eating salad.

there are still a lot of misconceptions floating around about eating disorders.
Oh, gosh, lettuce and greens are a huge part of the diet I got on in August of 2003. I was already getting exercise but wasn't eating that great. I took butter and a few other really fattening things out of my diet, and started eating Greek/Middle Eastern food because it's low in fat and cholesterol and high in nutrients, it was nothing drastic, and I lost weight at a regular, sustained rate. I've now lost 25 lbs! It's really cool.
Old 12-20-2004, 02:25 PM   #29
War Child

I've been accused of having an eating disorder, and maybe I even did have tendecies for a short while in my life. I've been faily thin all my life and could eat like a horse, then I started to turn about 26 or 27 and noticed my metabolism started to slow down and I couldn't eat the same way. I was so scared of losing my body shape that I became a little obsessive with working out and would count calories and carbs, and then if I didn't get to work out that day or ate something that I shouldn't have then I would just skip a meal. But for the last year I've really been back to normal and don't worry so much about being perfect.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:42 PM   #30
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I think overall a large population of the U.S. is obese. I've had friends and family members die from both extremes. It's sad I think eating disorders are just as serious of a disease than alcoholism or addiction, but it doesn't seem to get treated as so.

I have known a man that suffered from anorexia, he's better now but was in bad shape there for awhile.

I think the perceptions of your surroundings can make a big impact on your body image as well. I've seen all walks of life, and I find it odd how different people's perceptions can be.

I've seen families where it's not only accepted, but almost encouraged to see the man get fat but the wife must maintain her figure. Like a fat husband is a sign of a happy well fed husband.

I've seen familes where every member is obese they constantly eat and eat very poorly and they think they're normal and everyone else is malnutritioned.

Then I've seen the familes that tell their pefectly normal teenager that they are overweight or underweight.

I grew up in a household where the majority of family members excluding my generation are big, some of them I will say are fat. I was adopted and obvioulsly don't have the same genes or body frame as anyone in my family. I've always been very thin, in fact I tried for years in highschool to gain weight put on muscle or whatever and couldn't do it. Yet I got accused all the time of not being "healthy". I'm probably the healthiest member of my family I'm the only one that eats right and excercises on a regular basis, yet even to this day I'll still get comments. There was a brief time when I was on a medication and it made my face swell. I gained a lot weight but most of it was in my face, and then people started telling me I looked healthy.

Perceptions can we wierd and they can do a number on you.