Easing American Media Ownership Caps - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2003, 11:40 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:13 AM
For anyone who lost track of this story, it's not over yet. Due to the immense outpouring of public opinion adamantly opposed to the FCC ruling, Congress has been working to override it. But it appears that President Bush will veto their attempts. Big business profits vs. consumer welfare. It's not exactly shocking to see where he falls every time.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, July 24 (Reuters) - The White House said on Thursday it would fight in Congress to strip out language in a bill that would prevent television broadcasters from owning local stations that collectively reach more than 35 percent of the national audience.

The Republican-controlled Federal Communications Commission on June 2 voted to raise that cap to 45 percent, but the U.S. House of Representatives on Wednesday approved an annual spending measure that included a provision rolling it back to 35 percent.

The Bush administration said it would try to strip out the provision when House and Senate leaders negotiate the final version of the spending bill. But there is also bipartisan support for the lower limit in the Senate.

entire story
here on Reuters

Old 07-24-2003, 12:01 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:13 AM

I'm starting to wonder if Bush should be told the president of the USA is NOT a dictator position.

Old 07-24-2003, 12:25 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

from this link
Quote:
"The Administration believes that the new FCC media ownership rules more accurately reflect the changing media landscape and the current state of network station ownership, while still guarding against undue concentration in the marketplace," the Office of Management and Budget said in a statement.
this is plainly a crock. bush is bowing to network tv, but there are still other advantages beyond a 45% coverage rating for the networks,

from FAIR
Quote:
Because of a little-reported loophole, however, a single company could actually reach far more people-- in theory, as much as 90 percent of U.S. viewers (New York Times, 5/13/03).

The loophole, known as the "UHF discount," exists because of a 1980s regulation that requires the FCC to count every two viewers of a UHF station (TV channels 14 and above) as one viewer As explained by the New York Times' Stephen Labaton (5/13/03), one of the few journalists to report on the "discount," the provision was passed at a time when people relied on broadcast TV "and had to use special equipment like antennas that resembled rabbit ears to pick up UHF stations. Today, about 85 percent of viewers use paid services from cable and satellite providers, rendering the distinction between VHF and UHF largely a relic."

The commission also eliminated, in all but the smallest markets, the ban on cross-ownership of newspapers and broadcast outlets, meaning that communities that are already "one-paper towns" (and that's most communities in the country) could now see one company own that paper plus the top TV station, too. Local TV ownership rules were weakened as well, so that one company may own as many as three stations in the largest markets, and two in many smaller markets.
perhaps even more troubling than the raising of ownership caps is the severe relaxation of the paper-tv ownership restrictions. this leaves small and medium sized communities at the mercy of a monolith of voices and choices.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:34 PM   #19
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 07:13 AM
oliveu2cm:

But being the Dictator of the US was allways little Bushies dream:

"You don't get everything you want. A dictatorship would be a lot easier." George W. Bush, Describing what it's like to be governor of Texas. (Governing Magazine 7/98)

and

"A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier,
there's no question about it."
George W. Bush, July 27, 2001

and

"I told all four that there are going to be some times where we don't agree with each other, but that's OK. If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator," Bush joked.
George W. Bush at CNN.com, December 18, 2000

and

"A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it, " [Bush] said.
George W. Bush at Business Week, July 30, 2001

Old 07-24-2003, 12:38 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:13 AM
This is horrible. What can we do? Is there anyone doing anything? I know a handful of artist went and spoke on Captital Hill...
Old 07-24-2003, 12:45 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Klaus
oliveu2cm:

But being the Dictator of the US was allways little Bushies dream:

"You don't get everything you want. A dictatorship would be a lot easier." George W. Bush, Describing what it's like to be governor of Texas. (Governing Magazine 7/98)

and

"A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier,
there's no question about it."
George W. Bush, July 27, 2001

and

"I told all four that there are going to be some times where we don't agree with each other, but that's OK. If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator," Bush joked.
George W. Bush at CNN.com, December 18, 2000

and

"A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier, there's no question about it, " [Bush] said.
George W. Bush at Business Week, July 30, 2001

you've gotta be kidding me!
Old 07-24-2003, 01:27 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

this may be mere unfortunate circumstances but i notice that none of the traditionally conservative opinionated pariticpants, or none that im aware of, at FYM have weighed in on this thread. i would be interested to hear some diversity of thoughts.
Old 07-24-2003, 04:36 PM   #23
New Yorker

Actually this issue has a lot of support on the conservative side in the the House and Senate. It's a very bipartisan subject.

There is talk that Mike Powell is considering resigning becasue of the backlash and his dislike of any spotlight.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:23 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

but the conservative minds here are quiet

i was just curious what they were thinking
Old 07-24-2003, 05:48 PM   #25
New Yorker

Old 07-24-2003, 09:11 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:13 PM
This is one episode of many where the administration has put the interest of its contributors over the best interest of the American people.

Michael Powell may be losing his stomach for putting out the company line when it is so obviously a load of crap.