earthquake in Peru

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silvrlvr

Refugee
I hope all our friends in Peru are okay -- please post and tell us how things are. Here's a story:

LIMA, Peru (AP) -- A powerful earthquake shook Peru's coast near the capital on Wednesday, reportedly killing at least 17 people as it toppled buildings and caused many residents to flee homes. Authorities said the quake had generated a small tsunami but it wasn't destructive.

Peru's highly respected Cable news station Canal N reported that the 7.9 magnitude quake had caused a church to collapse in the city of Ica south of Lima, killing 17 people and injuring 70.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake hit at 6:40 p.m. (7:40 p.m. EDT) about 90 miles southeast of Lima at a depth of about 25 miles. Four strong aftershocks ranging from magnitudes of 5.4 to 5.9 were felt afterwards.

The Hawaii-based Pacific Tsunami Warning Center responded with a tsunami warning for the coasts of Peru, Chile, Ecuador, Colombia, Costa Rica and Panama. A tsunami watch was issued for the rest of Central America and Mexico and an advisory for Hawaii.

The center canceled all the alerts after about two hours, but it said the quake had caused an estimated 10-inch tsunami near the epicenter.

''It wasn't big enough to be destructive,'' said Stuart Weinstein, the center's assistant director.

An Associated Press photographer said that homes had collapsed in the center of Lima and that many people had fled into the streets for safety. The capital shook for more than a minute.

Wow that is so devastating. Last I heard 330 were killed and over 1000 were injured. I don't recall if anybody on this board is from Peru, but I hope they are okay. I couldn't imagine how stressful, frightening, and draining that community must be feeling.

We have clients who run a non-profit travel organization that offers trips in Peru. One of the co-founders was north of the epicenter by 90 miles, in advance of a trip that is supposed to start Saturday (don't know yet if they'll have to cancel); her business partner can't through on the phones. Fingers crossed.

SeattleVertigo said:
We have clients who run a non-profit travel organization that offers trips in Peru. One of the co-founders was north of the epicenter by 90 miles, in advance of a trip that is supposed to start Saturday (don't know yet if they'll have to cancel); her business partner can't through on the phones. Fingers crossed.

hope everyone you know is ok xxx

There are a lot of U2 fans in Peru and across Latin America so my xx oo goes out to them. Let us know if you need any help!

mummyme said:

hope everyone you know is ok xxx

Well, she's OK, thank goodness.

In an e-mail to her friends and clients, she writes, in part:

"I arrived in Lima on Wednesday to the chaos of the aftermath and aftershocks of the 8.0 earthquake that had hit Peru at 6.40 PM off the coast, 90 miles south of the capitol of Lima in the cities of Pisco, Ica, and Chincha. Reports of the numbers dead, injured and still trapped are coming in every hour. Friends here in Lima met last night to organize financial and volunteer help and are also touched by your letters, which I have shared."

Its really devestating, I don't know why I haven't seen alot of it on the news.

If anyone is interested in sending money to help, Samaritans Purse is excellent.

It's weird that just a week ago a friend and I were talking about Peru and comparing our experiences there. I couldn't remember the name of one of the towns I visited but boy did it come back to me this week when it made the news...Pisco, 70% destroyed. I still remember my guide through the Amazon, Juan from Pisco. I gave him my walkman because he'd never listened to music under headphones before and the look on his face brought tears to my eyes so I just gave it to him. (This was back in 1993.) It had a U2 tape in it, of course.

Yes, it's weird we're not hearing much about it, almost as weird as how mainstream media in the US isn't talking about the 25 million people displaced by flooding in India. CNN did, however, spend untold hours last night on the 3 miners who were killed in Utah--a tragedy of course--but I only had the TV on in the background to hear news about Peru.

:sad:

Back
Top Bottom