Dutch Reality Show-Compete For A Dying Woman's Kidney - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 06-02-2007, 08:36 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 11:29 PM
Here in Germany you only need to get a card on which you declare that you are an organ donor. You can also declare which organs you wish not to donor, or tick the field declaring that you do not want to donor your organs. On the backside you also could name a person you wish to decide after your death whether organs should be donored.

This card you should carry with you somewhere it will be found easily. So, best place would be the wallet near the ID cards where people will look first.

I'm not sure if you have to be 18 here. I think up to then the family could object.
Once you've turned 18 and you have somewhere stated that you want to donor your organs no one can object. If you have no card and no written statement they will ask your family, and then it would be up to them.
My parents have this card either and say it is for us, me and my brother, to decide whether we wish to donor. They would then decide based on our wishes.

If you are not sure which way your family will decide, but you clearly want to donor, you should get this card. Just ask your doctor, they always have some.

Except for spinal cord, or medulla, you don't get registered in Germany. But I'm thinking of registering for spinal cord donations.

Spinal cord is quite different because you don't donate it after your death, but while you are alive.
And they have to do some testings with it and get some when you register for it because the recipient and the donor have to have very similar spinal cord.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 05:29 PM
My ID says donor, and everyone in my family knows. Actually I think all my relatives are also but not 100% sure.

It ought to be mandatory (donating). You're dead, you can't take them with you. IMO not doing it is just selfish.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:30 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 10:29 PM
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Yes if it does make people truly stop and think then it was indeed a brilliant hoax.

How many people here are signed up to be organ donors? Recent events in my life have made me realize that I need to do that asap. I have always wanted to but for whatever psychological reasons I have kept putting it off. What are all the legal things you have to do to make sure your family will follow your wishes?
About 30.000 persons downloaded a form to fill in.

A lot of people don`t realize that you need about 3 million donors to serve 1500 people because,..

A donor need to die in a hospital,..the majority dies at home or on the street.
The donor need to be free of disease.
The bloodgroup, dna ect ect need to be excactly the same.
..and in more than 50% of the family say no after all when the donor dies.

I think the solution is easy. You can`t get a organtransplant when you don`t have a donorcodicil your self.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:44 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
Location: in the gutter, looking at the stars. . .and smiling
Local Time: 07:29 AM
In Australia there's a national organ donor register. You get to decide what you want or don't want to donate. The only problem is that your family can override your decision after you die. Education is vital so that families don't say no.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:42 AM   #20
love, blood, life
Local Time: 05:29 PM
When I last renewed my driver's license I was asked if I wanted to be an organ doner (I said yes) and a notation was put right on the license. That's a pretty good way to get most people. I was surprised though when I was in line to get my license that some people said no.