Duke University Suspends Entire Lacrosse Team Due To Rape Allegation - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:12 AM
but if she were gang raped by 3 people, and she most likely fought back, there would he hair samples on her clothes, skin samples underneath her fingernails ... it's not just the presence of ejaculate that is the only DNA evidence available for a rape case.

there would also be evidence of condom use, i'm guessing (lube, spermacide, etc.), but i haven't heard about that one way or the next.

insofar as being raped by the Duke players, there doesn't seem to be a terribly strong case to be made against them.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:33 PM   #107
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
Well, if she was indeed raped, couldn't the attackers have worn condoms?
Exactly! It's not as if she would really know if they did or didn't.

There have been plenty of rapes done with condoms. Even when rapes are done with condoms, DNA tests are often used to scare someone into admitting.

Old 04-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #108
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
but if she were gang raped by 3 people, and she most likely fought back, there would he hair samples on her clothes, skin samples underneath her fingernails ... it's not just the presence of ejaculate that is the only DNA evidence available for a rape case.

there would also be evidence of condom use, i'm guessing (lube, spermacide, etc.), but i haven't heard about that one way or the next.

insofar as being raped by the Duke players, there doesn't seem to be a terribly strong case to be made against them.
thank you.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #109
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Quote:
but if she were gang raped by 3 people, and she most likely fought back, there would he hair samples on her clothes, skin samples underneath her fingernails ...
That's true. I wonder if they ran DNA tests on the fake fingernails they found at the scene.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:42 PM   #110
Blue Crack Distributor

i would assume and hope that they would/did.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:46 PM   #111
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

This is true, but she may never had a chance to fight back. I also wonder when she came forward, did she bathe or wash her clothes before?

Let's also keep in mind that she was a stripper and was entertaining, therefore could have had DNA under her nails, on clothes, etc and could have easily been disputed.

This is why rape cases are so often so hard to prove or disprove. Many times it will come down to their word against hers.

If there was a rape, it seems like the only means of conviction would be if someone's conscious catches up with them and comes forward.

We may never know the truth.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #112
Blue Crack Distributor

I was watching one of the news channels the other day (I can't even remember which one, but there was a shrill, annoying woman as the host, which could be any number of news channels), and they were discussing the DNA test results.

The host kept harping on a washcloth found in the bathroom, and how it had DNA all over it. The guest maintained this was nothing unusual, because it was in the bathroom where the boys lived. She kept reiterating this, and you could tell she was dying to say the TV-unfriendly version of her point.

The host wouldn't let it go and maybe she didn't get it, and I was waiting for the guest to snap and finally say, "It's a washcloth in the young men's bathroom! Do you think they don't masturbate?"

I know this situation is vastly unfunny, but something about the guest's frustration and restraint struck me as amusing.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:00 PM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The host wouldn't let it go and maybe she didn't get it, and I was waiting for the guest to snap and finally say, "It's a washcloth in the young men's bathroom! Do you think they don't masturbate?"

I know this situation is vastly unfunny, but something about the guest's frustration and restraint struck me as amusing.

young men masturbate?

i really hope this thing doesn't get turned into a circus, and i'm well aware of the strained and already racialized town/gown relationship between Duke and Durham.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I assumed that the DNA tests done were from the rape kit.

I, too, find it difficult to imagine that there was no transfer of DNA during a 3 person gang rape. We'll see I guess.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #115
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
i really hope this thing doesn't get turned into a circus, and i'm well aware of the strained and already racialized town/gown relationship between Duke and Durham.
Call me a pessimist, but I don't think there's any way this can come out in a good way. If the Duke students are found guilty, that will only reinforce some people's stereotypes and strain the Duke/Durham relationship further.

If the Duke students are acquitted, that would likely reinforce some people's stereotypes about the victim (whether the stereotype is based on her skin color, gender, class status or profession) and strain the Duke/Durham relationship further.

I don't think there's much good that can come out of this, no matter what happens.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:38 PM   #116
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don't think there's much good that can come out of this, no matter what happens.

sadly, i think you're right.

Old 04-12-2006, 06:31 PM   #117
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways
I assumed that the DNA tests done were from the rape kit.

I, too, find it difficult to imagine that there was no transfer of DNA during a 3 person gang rape. We'll see I guess.
If there was DNA to do a test on in the first place, then it must belong to someone...the Duke players or otherwise. It is possible that a rape occurred, for which there is DNA evidence, but it just doesn't match any of the lacrosse team members. I mean, the fact that they did a DNA test means there was DNA to test.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:41 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaliz

If there was DNA to do a test on in the first place, then it must belong to someone...the Duke players or otherwise. It is possible that a rape occurred, for which there is DNA evidence, but it just doesn't match any of the lacrosse team members. I mean, the fact that they did a DNA test means there was DNA to test.
Well, not necessarily. If they are testing swabs they may not be able to tell if there is genetic matter on it. Same with fingernail scrapings.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #119
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by WildHoneyAlways

Well, not necessarily. If they are testing swabs they may not be able to tell if there is genetic matter on it. Same with fingernail scrapings.
True.

Have any of the lawyers said whether there was no DNA or whether it just didn't match?
Old 04-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #120
Babyface

Local Time: 12:12 PM
I think they didn't pay her enough and she decided to lie and now is soaking up her four seconds of fame, but the truth is, the Lacrosse team is getting way more spotlight than her... I could be wrong, and I would be eternally sorry, but I saw her on an interview and she seemed really fake and LOVING the attention, and after all my psych classes, she didn't fit a victim MO at all.