Duke University Suspends Entire Lacrosse Team Due To Rape Allegation - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2006, 08:19 AM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:37 PM
Looks like the case is going forward anyway, well that is the party line now. The prosecutor has an obligation to continue, if every rape case (and other cases) was dropped after there was no DNA, well the guilty ones would have free reign. She also had a rape exam at the hospital and we don't know what other evidence exists (if any).

Sure the prosecutor might have political motives, save face motives (that would be my guess unless there is other good evidence) but he also knows the other evidence and seemingly still thinks she is credible. If he is just putting on a facade, I would think he career would be in jeopardy because of that. In that case maybe the case will be dropped soon.

Sure not all college and professional athletes are sexist pigs and/or rapists, but maybe it's time for those who aren't to stand up and be vocal, to go on a crusade of sorts against rape, sexism, and mistreatment of women. Seems to me they might want to. Some do and I truly admire that.

And I went to a high school in which the athletes received preferential treatment, without a doubt-it was crystal clear. Luckily I went to a small, non NCAA college and got away from all of that.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #92
Blue Crack Distributor

while i'm sure that there are prof's out there who are sympathetic towards athletes and let them slide here and there, i'm equally sure that there are prof's who feel that athlete's get too much of a break and feel they have to be harder on the athlete in order to negate that.

there are poli-sci prof's who give benefits to those who share their political beliefs... male prof's who give advantages to men, male prof's who give advantages to the flirty chicks with the big boobies, femanists who feel anything with a penis is evil, etc. etc. etc. if you develop a personal relationship with one of your prof's, he/she is probably more likely to give you the benefit of the doubt over someone who did an equal amount of work but was more introverted and kept to himself. there is no such thing as a level playing field.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

there are poli-sci prof's who give benefits to those who share their political beliefs... male prof's who give advantages to men, male prof's who give advantages to the flirty chicks with the big boobies, femanists who feel anything with a penis is evil, etc. etc. etc. if you develop a personal relationship with one of your prof's, he/she is probably more likely to give you the benefit of the doubt over someone who did an equal amount of work but was more introverted and kept to himself. there is no such thing as a level playing field.
Yup, I agree.

Sometimes though I think the minimum academic standards for athletes are a little too relaxed. For my HS, you only needed a 1.5. Personally, I think anything below a 2.5 is low. Luckily, most athletic teams have average GPAs that exceed the school's average.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:00 PM   #94
The Fly

Local Time: 08:37 PM
What I think based on the evidence in the media:

I don't think the teams season should have been cancelled until after a verdict. We are all innocent until proven guilty, scandal or not.

However, I think the correct course of action was taken with the coach resigning (or being forced to resign). The coach is usually the fall guy in all sports.

I don't think this girl got raped. I think said got pissed at a few facial slurs to the point when she left, she fabricated this story and said 'I'm going to show them'.

If how I feel is true, what she has done has hurt women everywhere that actually DO get raped. It's the boy who cries wolf. Or in this case....The stripper who cries rape.

Just my opinion at this point. That could change tomorrow.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #95
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by swizzlestick

I don't think the teams season should have been cancelled until after a verdict. We are all innocent until proven guilty, scandal or not.

They gave up their rights to continue playing when they all refused to comment or collaborate with officials.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:33 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by swizzlestick

I don't think this girl got raped. I think said got pissed at a few facial slurs to the point when she left, she fabricated this story and said 'I'm going to show them'.

Just b/c there's no DNA doesn't mean a crime didn't occur.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:40 PM   #97
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Just b/c there's no DNA doesn't mean a crime didn't occur.

I'm confused here how this dna test means there was no rape

I don't know if there was or wasn't but we don't know enough to draw a conclusion.

and I happen to love jocks
Old 04-12-2006, 03:44 PM   #98
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

They gave up their rights to continue playing when they all refused to comment or collaborate with officials.
wait a sec here... every one submitted to a DNA test. other than that, if they didn't do it, what is there to comment on other than "we didn't do it?"

people object to the players on the team "lawyering up," but frankly, if you were accused of something so heinous, wether you did it or not, if you didn't go get a lawyer immediately you'd be a complete moron.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #99
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by redkat

I'm confused here how this dna test means there was no rape

I don't know if there was or wasn't but we don't know enough to draw a conclusion.

and I happen to love jocks
well the story wasn't that she was assaulted by an object... it was that she was raped, thus why they went for the DNA test in the first place. that is why this lack of DNA is so damning to the prosecution.

and secondly, if DNA tests came back negative, then they obviously had some sort of DNA smaple to compare the tests to. so they have DNA, it just doesn't belong to any of the players.

it's still very much a possability that she was raped... but the odds that she was raped by one of these lacrosse players are not very good, unless of course the attorneys are lying.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #100
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:37 PM
Quote:

wait a sec here... every one submitted to a DNA test. other than that, if they didn't do it, what is there to comment on other than "we didn't do it?"

people object to the players on the team "lawyering up," but frankly, if you were accused of something so heinous, wether you did it or not, if you didn't go get a lawyer immediately you'd be a complete moron.
There's a difference between saying, "I didn't do it", to remaining silent.

At that point when they all decided to remain silent, what other choice did the school have? This still could be an ongoing case throughout the season.

A DNA test in this type of case really doesn't tell the whole story...
Old 04-12-2006, 03:56 PM   #101
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

A DNA test in this type of case really doesn't tell the whole story...
Exactly. And to play devil's advocate...say there was a DNA match...no doubt we'd hear the word "consensual".
Old 04-12-2006, 04:08 PM   #102
Blue Crack Distributor

look i happen to agree with the school that the season should have been suspended until the resolution of the case. i'm just saying i have no problem with the kids hiding behind a lawyer because i would do the same thing, esp. if i was innocent.

the problem with the DNA test is that the entire time it was what we were wating for... what the DA, the Duke president, even the team captians... were all waiting for. and now it comes back negative, and all of a sudden the DA doesn't need it anymore? something's wrong there..
Old 04-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:37 PM
I didn't think the story was specific as to the type of rape. I thought rape with a foreign object is still considered a rape charge?

When a rape kit is done they are going to take DNA no matter what even if the type of rape means there likely won't be any.

Quote:

well the story wasn't that she was assaulted by an object... it was that she was raped, thus why they went for the DNA test in the first place. that is why this lack of DNA is so damning to the prosecution.

and secondly, if DNA tests came back negative, then they obviously had some sort of DNA smaple to compare the tests to. so they have DNA, it just doesn't belong to any of the players.

it's still very much a possability that she was raped... but the odds that she was raped by one of these lacrosse players are not very good, unless of course the attorneys are lying.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:12 PM   #104
Blue Crack Distributor

she claimed to have been held down, choked, beaten, and gang raped by three white men...

how zero dna could transfer in such a brutal attack, hey... i don't know. maybe it's possible, but i highly doubt it, and so will any jury.

with all that's already leaked in this case, if she alleged it was done with a foreign object, i think we would have heard about it already.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #105
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Well, if she was indeed raped, couldn't the attackers have worn condoms? I don't know if someone caught up in a gang mentality would take the time to put one on, but if this was the case, it might explain the lack of DNA evidence.