Drunk Driving - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2003, 05:09 PM   #16
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:22 AM
There's a girl at my school who is now facing months of rehab. after being hit by a drunk driver. Thankfully she pulled through and she's going to be okay, but she was in the hospital for something like three weeks, I think.

My views on the subject? Zero tolerance. If you are driving, you shouldn't be drinking, simple as that. That's why there are cabs and buses and designated drivers.

Join Amnesty.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:31 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
It's a hard measure. I'm not sure how to regulate. Some can operate an automobile with 2 drinks, some can't operate a vehicle sober. Some can't operate a vehicle on medication. I wouldn't know where to begin, but I don't believe in a zero tolerance. There are just too many factors. What about sleep deprivation, age, etc.
At the risk of going against the grain of an otherwise unanimous sentiment in this thread, I am going to concur with BonoVoxSuperstar on this. I do not think that "zero tolerance" or not allowing someone to drive if they have had one 12 ounce beer with dinner is a practical or logical solution to the problem of driving under the influence because if you did this, then it would only be fair to apply similar legal force to other possible causes such as sleep deprivation. If some people can not operate machinery properly on less than 8 hours of sleep, then everyone would be required to have 8 hours of sleep before getting behind the wheel, regardless of whether they have consumed alcohol.

I know that this is a very sensitive issue and I will probably be flamed for posting my opinion, but it is only my opinion.

~U2Alabama

Old 06-15-2003, 12:51 AM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:22 AM
I think its unanimous in regard to driving drunk. There is though, the points you Bama, and Bonovox have raised and that is driving after having a few. I guess in reality, if a few dont affect you at all in terms of driving ability, there is nothing wrong with that. The problem lies in knowinf how or if it indeed has affected you. BAC's are a standard that attempt to make a general safe limit for pretty much everyone. But if I am not unique in how alchohol affects me, then I think there's going to be a bigger difference than first realised in pretty much everyone. If there were ever a way to find out what an individual's limit is, then I wouldn't necessarily disagree with responsible drinking (not drunk) and driving. As this doesn't actually exist, save DIY testers in some clubs and pubs, I've just taken the safe option and refused to combine the 2 as they're things I know I cannot accurately measure for myself.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:46 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I read in my local paper this past weekend that a man was stopped for drunk driving... and this was the 10th time he has been stopped for drunk driving!! Since 1990! And he's only 31!!!!!

Isn't it time he's thrown in jail???
Old 08-12-2003, 02:52 PM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by oliveu2cm
I read in my local paper this past weekend that a man was stopped for drunk driving... and this was the 10th time he has been stopped for drunk driving!! Since 1990! And he's only 31!!!!!

Isn't it time he's thrown in jail???
No, I think it's time for rehab...
Old 08-12-2003, 03:48 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:22 AM

Aaaargh

Old 08-12-2003, 04:00 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

No, I think it's time for rehab...
You can't force rehab on someone. I dont want this man "falling off the wagon" and getting behind the wheel and out on the road where I travel!

He's broken the law. He's driving drunk, more than once, more than twice... . He needs to be punished.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:09 PM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I agree rehab only works on those who want it, but the courts order rehab all the time. But this guy has a serious problem.

What's worse trying to rehabilitate and one falling off the wagon and doing it again, or one spending a few months in jail and getting out and doing it again? Try to fix and fail or time out and fail, I'd rather try to fix, but that's just me.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:10 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:22 AM
Rehab after the first or second offense. By number ten, this character needs to be taken off the street.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:25 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Rehab after the first or second offense. By number ten, this character needs to be taken off the street.
Right, but we don't know what actions have been taken up to this point...what kind of jail time should we be looking at? Keep in mind suspending a license won't stop a person from driving either.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:35 PM   #26
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 06:22 AM
My feelings on this subject are pretty strong for a number of reasons but the main one being what happened to my family one year ago this month.

Drunk driving caused a chain of events that never in a million years would I have expected to happen to anyone I know. Some of you already know about this because I talked about it when it happened last year.

My son had a close friend named Josh, who last August was doing something too many teenagers do without considering the consequences. He and several other friends were standing outside at 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. drinking beer. A car came speeding by and sideswiped a car near them so Josh jumped in the passenger seat of a friends car and off they went to catch the hit and run driver.

The were about a half mile from home, traveling at a high rate of speed, when they hit some water from the sprinklers in the center divider. They went out of the control and hit a tree...causing Josh to be thrown through the windshield and decapitated. We live in a very small town so when the neighbors ran from their houses after hearing the crash, some of them knew Josh and had to see him in that condition.

Josh was buried on what would have been his 17th birthday...his death all the more tragic because his own parents died when he was 2 years old and he was raised by his grandparents, who were just devastated beyond belief. His grandfather looked like he would crumble at any second.

Seeing a church full of sobbing 17 and 18 year old boys was probably the most heartbreaking thing I've ever witnessed and having to hold up my then 15 year old younger son was almost more than I could bear. He looked up to Josh like an older brother and hard a very, very hard time accepting his death.

So my thoughts on drunk driving? I don't have an answer or any ideas about how to stop it...I only know what its done to my family so the thought of someone getting behind the wheel after drinking makes me sick...I don't know if zero tolerance will do any good because there are variables like weight, sex and age but the laws obviously aren't working right now because this keeps happening again and again.

No charges were filed against the driver of the car Josh was riding in...he only suffered a broken leg. I don't know how much he had to drink that night but I can't help thinking that if Josh had been sober, he might have used better judgement and not jumped a car with someone else who had been drinking....but we'll never know.

Josh Davies
1985 - 2002
Old 08-13-2003, 02:17 AM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 07:22 AM
I have many opinion on this subject. Alot of them different from yours.

Drinking is like eating, i might be able to eat 5 plates of food and be full but you might have one plate of food and be full. It all depends on the person.

I can drink 4-5 beers and not be phased. I am 6'2 260 and have a very strong metabilism. I also know people my weight, age, height that can have 4-5 beers and be falling down drunk.

The level of BAC in my provience is .08. I think that is an adequete level. If you blow over .05 you get a automatic 24hr suspension.

I am not talking about people that are stunned drunk. I am talking about people that have had a few (2) and are still able to drive. People that drink till they cant stand and drive deserve the punnishment, which i think is to light (more to Come). If you have had 6 beers in two hours you probably have had to much to drink and that goes for anyone. But if I were to have 6 beers over 6 hrs it wouldnt phase me a bit.

Also, i think that any person that knowingly gets into a vehicle with a drunk driver has no right to sue for damages caused by the person they were driving. If they knowingly get into that car then they are accepting the risks.

Punnishment for DD is was to leinent or way to harsh. All depending on the judge. I know a guy that hit a tree and blew .085 and got a suspension for a year and a personal breathalyzer for 4 years. I also know a guy who has had 13 DUI convictions since 1983! He has been to jail three times and says (and i believe him) that he will never drive again. But he could if he wanted to! I am not saying either of these are to harsh or to easy but it seems the justice system is way out of wack!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:19 AM   #28
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
I have many opinion on this subject. Alot of them different from yours.

Drinking is like eating, i might be able to eat 5 plates of food and be full but you might have one plate of food and be full. It all depends on the person.

I can drink 4-5 beers and not be phased. I am 6'2 260 and have a very strong metabilism. I also know people my weight, age, height that can have 4-5 beers and be falling down drunk.

The level of BAC in my provience is .08. I think that is an adequete level. If you blow over .05 you get a automatic 24hr suspension.

I am not talking about people that are stunned drunk. I am talking about people that have had a few (2) and are still able to drive. People that drink till they cant stand and drive deserve the punnishment, which i think is to light (more to Come). If you have had 6 beers in two hours you probably have had to much to drink and that goes for anyone. But if I were to have 6 beers over 6 hrs it wouldnt phase me a bit.

Also, i think that any person that knowingly gets into a vehicle with a drunk driver has no right to sue for damages caused by the person they were driving. If they knowingly get into that car then they are accepting the risks.

Punnishment for DD is was to leinent or way to harsh. All depending on the judge. I know a guy that hit a tree and blew .085 and got a suspension for a year and a personal breathalyzer for 4 years. I also know a guy who has had 13 DUI convictions since 1983! He has been to jail three times and says (and i believe him) that he will never drive again. But he could if he wanted to! I am not saying either of these are to harsh or to easy but it seems the justice system is way out of wack!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:21 AM   #29
Refugee

SOrry
Old 08-13-2003, 02:22 AM   #30
Refugee

oops