Drug Use? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2006, 09:15 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Re: Re: Re: Drug Use?

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

you may equate drug dealers with other criminals - but would you also equate drug users? after all, they don´t hurt others, like thieves or murderers do - they only hurt themselves.

dunno where you got that idea.

Of course alcohol destroys families, lives, etc. You don't need meth to really fuck up a family. However many or most can enjoy it socially. And, it's impractical to attempt to eliminate it at this point.

But when we start talking about meth and heroin (I don't mean pot here)...yes, we all have this notion of our "rights" and the like, but government does have an interest in things like the "common good." Many things are done in the interest of society regardless of whether they seem to violate individual rights. I don't know what kind of hellish society some of you are picturing where everyone is free and even encouraged to go to the doc for their weekly, daily dose of methamphetamines. This is on the verge of some dystopian sci-fi portrayal of the future.

Honestly, I really really wish alcohol wasn't around (I'm sure I'll some day have a different opinion ). But it is and no one's going to change that. Pot...maybe for medicinal purposes. Legalizing it wouldn't be the worst thing ever, but I don't see the urgency (although it's possible doing so could actually make it harder for minors to have access to it, I'm not sure). But meth and heroin and crack...I guess I'm really against personal rights, but I see no place for a legal market for those in society.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Drug Use?

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Single use means of delivery, standardised dosage and purity perhaps even synthesis of new drugs that are appealing with out as many negative side effects.

The war on drugs is a joke, but to suggest that we should invest into R&D of new generations of narcotics for no purpose other than to feed an addiction with lesser side effects is going too far. Realistically, pharmaceutical R&D is one of the most expensive, least cost-effective things you could invest your money in. As it stands, drugs are overpriced in order to cover this overhead and public institutions and research institutes do not have enough funding. To redirect it into narcotics is an awful, AWFUL idea. Awful.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:25 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:08 AM
If it isn't marketable there would be no reason to attempt it. I am not saying that is what should be done, I am not saying that is what would be done. Having a degree of harm minimisation would be a result of a regulated market or widespread acceptance and takeup of a narcotic product (plus the idea of having consumers dying off certainly wouldn't leave a particuarly large set of consumers - social pressure and associations against hard drugs can be a tool against it).
Old 03-20-2006, 09:27 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I also want to add that I do think many aspects of the current approach to the "war" on drugs are incredibly flawed. Treatment, therapy, and acceptance are essential. I just think legalizing all these drugs isn't any better of an approach.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:33 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Treatment, therapy and acceptance?

Who pays the costs?

If you have a public healthcare system that will use tax dollars to deal with the problems then there is a case for strong restrictions and prohibitions.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

I know that came off as a bit idealistic, and I'm not sure court ordering offenders to AA, NA, etc meetings has proven to be effective. It's a good question and I don't know enough about this to give you a good answer.

There's got to be a compromise between demonizing addicts as we tend to do today, and selling meth at the doctor's office.

On the topic of cost, in the US treatment facilities often cost 7 or 8 grand a month, and alcoholics/addicts don't tend to have a lot of cash lying around by the time they hit that low. Public funding would certainly create a stronger case for prohibitions, but that has it's cons as well.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:58 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

These people fuck themselves up with drugs then why should taxes be wasted either procecuting them or getting them in rehab?

Realistically you cannot legalise your hard drugs without costs to a social democracy, such a system can and should only exist in anarchy.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:04 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

anarchy being your preferred situation?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

In many ways, even though it would have a few obvious flaws and drawbacks that restrict the level of civilization possible.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:28 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
Legalize and regulate.
I would legalise all of them.

I would regulate the production to the extent that there was a set level or levels of purity and strength (not so much for pot but for the manufactured or precessed drugs) so the users know what they are getting. Other than not allowing minors to buy or use (much like alcohol) I wouldn't regulate who could buy or how much a person could buy. I don't think that is any of the government's business.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:08 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Old 03-21-2006, 04:49 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Drug Use?

Quote:
Originally posted by VertigoGal

But when we start talking about meth and heroin (I don't mean pot here)...yes, we all have this notion of our "rights" and the like, but government does have an interest in things like the "common good." Many things are done in the interest of society regardless of whether they seem to violate individual rights. I don't know what kind of hellish society some of you are picturing where everyone is free and even encouraged to go to the doc for their weekly, daily dose of methamphetamines. This is on the verge of some dystopian sci-fi portrayal of the future.

meth and heroin and crack...I guess I'm really against personal rights, but I see no place for a legal market for those in society.
Im not for a legal market and encouraging people to get their dose of H. Whatever you say about pot or alcohol.. I think the most important thing would be to legalize hard drugs. Because these are the drugs that are mixed up with dangerous shit by the dealers. People who are ill have the right to get clean medicines.

if you prefer to let them die on the street, that´s your opinion, and Im not gonna change it. Honestly, there is no compromise here. Either you allow the poor bastards to get their junk or you don´t. If you don´t, they will get it illegally, and since prices to get your fix are high, they will commit crimes to ghet the money to buy their drugs. it´s a cycle and you´re not gonna break it - just if you allow the addicts to go to the doctor and get their fucking clean shot.

this is my interest in things like the "common good". not hellish at all, I dont know where you got that from, take a look at reality. hey, the crack dealer is waiting around the corner to sell the kids.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:34 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

And the dealer doesn't ask for proof of age.

Human life is one of the cheapest commodities in the world.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Drug Use?

Quote:
Originally posted by whenhiphopdrovethebigcars

Im not for a legal market and encouraging people to get their dose of H.
Quote:
I think the most important thing would be to legalize hard drugs.
which do you mean?

and I don't want anyone to die on the streets, although I fail to see how legalizing meth is going to prevent that.

I'm not convinced prices would be too much lower than they are now (although I couldn't tell you how much junk or meth costs)...ever met a prescription drug addict?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:43 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:08 PM
and so she woke up woke up from where she was lying still said i gotta do something about the way..