Drug Rush? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2003, 05:15 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 4,181
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox


Were they talking about a specific crime in which the guy did look like Jessie Jackson? Or is it a dig at Jackson looking like the criminal. It is not racist, does not even come close to the definition.
I'm no Jesse Jackson fan, but when you look at the quote you can see Rush isn't talking about a specific crime and even if he was, his comment is not about a specific criminal. He says, ever notice how ALL newspaper composite pictures of criminals look like Jesse Jackson. Not - did you notice that police composite picture looked like Jesse Jackson? That would have been different and specific.

When I read that comment, it sounds very much like he is saying that all composite pictures look like Jackson because they are all black and look alike. Yeah, pretty racist.
__________________

__________________
womanfish is online now  
Old 10-06-2003, 05:27 PM   #47
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,673
Local Time: 09:26 AM
Yes I agree context is important, but how could the comment about the NAACP should get a liquor store and practice robberies be used in any positive way?

I also agree one can be anti-pc without being a racist, but I don't think this to be a case of that.

I've listened to his show and I read these comments and have heard many like it in context and believe them to fall in everyway into your definition of racisim.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-06-2003, 05:27 PM   #48
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish


I'm no Jesse Jackson fan, but when you look at the quote you can see Rush isn't talking about a specific crime and even if he was, his comment is not about a specific criminal. He says, ever notice how ALL newspaper composite pictures of criminals look like Jesse Jackson. Not - did you notice that police composite picture looked like Jesse Jackson? That would have been different and specific.

When I read that comment, it sounds very much like he is saying that all composite pictures look like Jackson because they are all black and look alike. Yeah, pretty racist.
1st I read the quote and I think it is a dig at Jackson.
2nd The quote does not state that because of their race they are inferior therefore it does not meet the definition of racist.
3rd it is Politically incorrect in my opinion.

Finally, you cannot say that this quote does not have a story behiond it. You do not know what the reference was. Sorry....I disagree.

And that is what makes FYM a great place.

I freaking hate defending him.

LOL
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 10-06-2003, 05:44 PM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,673
Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox


1st I read the quote and I think it is a dig at Jackson.
2nd The quote does not state that because of their race they are inferior therefore it does not meet the definition of racist.
3rd it is Politically incorrect in my opinion.

I think stating that all composites look like Jessie Jackson goes beyond just a dig at Jackson. How could a composite of a caucasion man look like Jackson? I think he's making a generalization that all composites are of black men and they happen to look like Jessie Jackson. So I believe generalizing that all criminals are black, like Jackson, would indeed fit into your definition. I mean you tell me what you think he meant...
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-06-2003, 05:45 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:26 AM
Isn't it funny how much the alleged mastermind behind 9/11, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, resembles porn star Ron Jeremy?



Dread and Mr. Black suggest that Rush made a statement similar to the above.


That clearly is not the case.

I don't know why they substitute the actual statement for one that does not have racist overtones.
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 10-06-2003, 05:53 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
womanfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: moons of Zooropa
Posts: 4,181
Local Time: 03:26 PM
LOL, I know, just like I hate defending Jackson.

But I disagree with your arguement that it doesn't imply that anyone is inferior. I think it is demeaning to someone to call them a criminal or to infer that they are a criminal because of their race or background. For instance, if my dad was a criminal and someone said "Womanfish, you're probably a criminal just like your dad." Then yes, I would feel inferior and discriminated against.

If he is indeed incinuating (sp?) that all criminals (or almost all) are black, then yes, I would say that his statement is making others feel inferior and it's degrading to them.

But yes, I can see that a lot of his statements and humor walk a thin line near racism. Non-pc is fine by me. That's why I love Bill Maher. He speaks his mind, is rarely pc, but is still quite liberal on most issues. He can make a point about many touchy things, including race, by talking about it and not making cheap shots like Rush sometimes likes to do.
__________________
womanfish is online now  
Old 10-06-2003, 06:04 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman
Lewis you argue a point and when you are proven wrong you turn to calling another poster racist?

Bonoman,

I had no problem with that post.

I started a thread where people could take tests concerning bias.

Scientists at a reputable college created it.

I took the test and determined I do have bias concerning race. I believe all people do. On the scale, I was not too extreme.

I find it very interesting that Lewis Black has been listening to Rush since he was eight years old. I imagine he has been raised in a very conservative environment in Steel town USA.

I had a similar background. At eight years of age I was very politicized.

On November 22, 1963 when my third grade teacher, Mrs. Chaier, (I remember she was tall, slender and very attractive) told us President Kennedy had been killed in Texas. My remarks reflected my upbringing.

Doreen Danner, one of the Danner twins, (gosh they were cute) started crying.
I told her, "Why are crying? I am glad he is dead, he was a communist."
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 10-06-2003, 06:28 PM   #53
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 10:26 AM
deep

Well then clearly I am not intelligent enough to see it....

I have not substituted anything. I have explained how I see it. I have said I do not find it politically correct, and I do not believe it is racist based on the definition of racism.

Deep if you prefer, I will no longer voice any opposition to what is said in this forum. Obviously I am not intelligent enough.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 10-06-2003, 06:29 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by womanfish
LOL, I know, just like I hate defending Jackson.

But I disagree with your arguement that it doesn't imply that anyone is inferior. I think it is demeaning to someone to call them a criminal or to infer that they are a criminal because of their race or background. For instance, if my dad was a criminal and someone said "Womanfish, you're probably a criminal just like your dad." Then yes, I would feel inferior and discriminated against.

If he is indeed incinuating (sp?) that all criminals (or almost all) are black, then yes, I would say that his statement is making others feel inferior and it's degrading to them.

But yes, I can see that a lot of his statements and humor walk a thin line near racism. Non-pc is fine by me. That's why I love Bill Maher. He speaks his mind, is rarely pc, but is still quite liberal on most issues. He can make a point about many touchy things, including race, by talking about it and not making cheap shots like Rush sometimes likes to do.
Thanks for the intelligent conversation. It has been very fun!!!

Peace everyone. Time for a break.
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 10-06-2003, 06:32 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 10,881
Local Time: 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


I think stating that all composites look like Jessie Jackson goes beyond just a dig at Jackson. How could a composite of a caucasion man look like Jackson? I think he's making a generalization that all composites are of black men and they happen to look like Jessie Jackson. So I believe generalizing that all criminals are black, like Jackson, would indeed fit into your definition. I mean you tell me what you think he meant...
Thanks for responding with a logical argument.

I would say this, I can see it this way as well. However, again, was Rush looking at a newspaper? Was there a picture of a man arrested that day of a crime? We do not know. That is indeed why I made my context point.

Peace....keep it real!
__________________
Dreadsox is offline  
Old 10-06-2003, 07:08 PM   #56
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,673
Local Time: 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox


Thanks for responding with a logical argument.

I would say this, I can see it this way as well. However, again, was Rush looking at a newspaper? Was there a picture of a man arrested that day of a crime? We do not know. That is indeed why I made my context point.

Peace....keep it real!
True but then he would have said isn't it funny how THIS composite of the so and so burglar look like JJ?
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-10-2003, 04:34 PM   #57
Refugee
 
ThatGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vertigo
Posts: 1,277
Local Time: 07:26 AM
Rush admits addiction

Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh told his radio audience Friday that he is addicted to painkillers and will enter rehab:

"You know I have always tried to be honest with you and open about my life. So I need to tell you today that part of what you have heard and read is correct. I am addicted to prescription pain medication.

I first started taking prescription painkillers some years ago when my doctor prescribed them to treat post surgical pain following spinal surgery. Unfortunately, the surgery was unsuccessful and I continued to have severe pain in my lower back and also in my neck due to herniated discs. I am still experiencing that pain. Rather than opt for additional surgery for these conditions, I chose to treat the pain with prescribed medication. This medication turned out to be highly addictive.

Over the past several years I have tried to break my dependence on pain pills and, in fact, twice checked myself into medical facilities in an attempt to do so. I have recently agreed with my physician about the next steps.

Immediately following this broadcast, I am checking myself into a treatment center for the next 30 days to once and for all break the hold this highly addictive medication has on me. The show will continue during this time, of course, with an array of guest hosts you have come to know and respect.

I am not making any excuses. You know, over the years athletes and celebrities have emerged from treatment centers to great fanfare and praise for conquering great demons.

They are said to be great role models and examples for others. Well, I am no role model. I refuse to let anyone think I am doing something great here, when there are people you never hear about, who face long odds and never resort to such escapes.

They are the role models. I am no victim and do not portray myself as such. I take full responsibility for my problem.

At the present time, the authorities are conducting an investigation, and I have been asked to limit my public comments until this investigation is complete. So I will only say that the stories you have read and heard contain inaccuracies and distortions, which I will clear up when I am free to speak about them.

I deeply appreciate all your support over this last tumultuous week. It has sustained me. I ask now for your prayers. I look forward to resuming our excursion into broadcast excellence together.''

AP-NY-10-10-03 1535EDT

Copyright 2003, The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP Online news report may not be published, broadcast or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.
__________________
ThatGuy is offline  
Old 10-10-2003, 04:47 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 03:26 PM
Let's not be too harsh on Rush and his problem with painkillers. I don't like his politics, for the record. But spinal problems and pain from it have nothing to do with politics. I'm currently taking stuff for sciatica. I had one bottle of the same painkillers that Rush had trouble with. Yes, they are addictive as hell which is why my doc was responsible and didn't give me a refill. This pain sucks big time. It's not fun. Anyone can get addicted to painkilling drugs. All it takes is a painful injury or illness. I hate this
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 10-10-2003, 05:08 PM   #59
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,673
Local Time: 09:26 AM
I'm glad he's taking responsibility for his actions, and admits he's no role model. I hope he gets better and is given a fair investigation. I'm sure there have been a few distortions, but I don't know how he's going to prove that he's been obtaining the drug legally? We'll see.

Thanks for the update.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 10-10-2003, 07:34 PM   #60
New Yorker
 
sharky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,637
Local Time: 10:26 AM
I have problems with this. I don't agree with people with opposing view point but I respect them. I DON'T respect people who are hypocrites. I'm sorry he has to go through this but he should be just as severly punished as he has advocated others be punished. as for rehab, he wouldn't be going into rehab if 1) this story never broke and 2) he wasn't going to be charged with a crime. Judges are lenient on people who show they are trying to get help. He's only covering his ass with this.
__________________

__________________
sharky is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com