Drug Rush?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[IMG]http://www.angelfire.com/games/sportsjungle/farve.jpg

[I]another recovering addict/icon/idol..:angry:;)[/I][IMG]http://www.angelfire.com/games/sportsjungle/farve.jpg

Last edited:
sharky said:
I have problems with this. I don't agree with people with opposing view point but I respect them. I DON'T respect people who are hypocrites. I'm sorry he has to go through this but he should be just as severly punished as he has advocated others be punished. as for rehab, he wouldn't be going into rehab if 1) this story never broke and 2) he wasn't going to be charged with a crime. Judges are lenient on people who show they are trying to get help. He's only covering his ass with this.

Ummmm....I do believe he admitted that he has already been in rehab twice for this......

So I guess that would eliminate your theory that he would not be in rehab had the story not broke.

diamond said:
[IMG]http://www.angelfire.com/games/sportsjungle/farve.jpg

[I]another recovering addict/icon/idol..:angry:;)[/I][IMG]http://www.angelfire.com/games/sportsjungle/farve.jpg

Oh how I feel for you.

Well, yeah, this is contradictory behavior for him because he's come down on people who are involved in drug-related screw-ups, now he's in one himself. I've never been on TV talking about putting all of the drug sellers in prison, then turned right around and got on my doc's case about wanting addicting painkillers. So-called "recreational" drugs came in as painkillers--opium, morphine and cocaine were all used as painkillers until the scientists and then governments found out that there was another evil involved, addiction. They made all of these drugs illegal without a prescription and then made it illegal to prescribe some of them, most notably cocaine and heroin. Egads, two threads on this...........yeah, will repeat. :lol:

Regardless of what issues I may have about his remarks in the past, I can still pray for him. I've not had to fight addiction but pain on a daily basis I have had to deal with. I can certainly understand the reason someone in relentless pain becomes addicted.

sue4u2 said:
Regardless of what issues I may have about his remarks in the past, I can still pray for him. I've not had to fight addiction but pain on a daily basis I have had to deal with. I can certainly understand the reason someone in relentless pain becomes addicted.

Yeah, relentless pain *is* relentless. Mine could be much worse. Mine is not excruciating; alot of spine pain is. I actually think mine has alot to do with stress and is a minor nerve inflammation at worst. It's not on a level with my mother's osteoarthritis. She's had to have two hip replacements. Ugh. Still before you go off and make public proclamations about drug use and stuff you should know the facts.

Epidemic

The undertreatment of legitimate pain in the United States is becoming an epidemic. The DEA has overstepped its bounds and have begun to clip the wings of Dr.'s. Some Dr.'s are terrified to prescribe opiate analgesics because the DEA is more worried about a hand-ful of 'drug-seekers' than those in legitimate chronic pain. The DEA bullies Dr.'s, think they 'know' what's best, ignore up to date, factual, and CLEAR studies and evidence for the overall safety and effectiveness of opiate analgesics. The DEA continues to suspend Dr.'s licenses, charge and try them in criminal cases. And it's all about poiliitcs. The wisest and best Dr.'s in the field all agree that opiate analgesics are not a medical problem but an ethical one. But every politician needs an easy enemy and target. Drugs have always been on the A-list for politicians and the media. You have all this artificial negative press about prescription painkillers, especially OxyContin. But you know what? It's all lies, and has been proven so in a court of law. There has only been ONE DEATH related to the misuse of OnyxContin. NOT over 300 as the press would have you believe. All those other deaths have been proven that other drugs were the main culprit. And the one elderly lady who DID die from OxyContin, did so because she chewed the pill (It's time-release). Yet, UNBELIEVABLY, they keep on with their lies and so-called 'drug-war'. All it hurts are the one's in legitmate pain. You will NEVER be able to stop those few who seek drugs. And most every sane and rational person agrees that it's insane to let < 5% of drug-abusers to ruin it for those with legitimate needs. Unfortunately, the DEA WILL CALL IT THE DR.'s FAULT, take away his license, and charge him with criminal acts, if he prescribes opiate anagesics to someone who ends up selling them on the street. There may be a VERY VERY few Dr.'s who would knowingly do this, but the DEA seems to think all Dr.'s who are licensed to prescribe narcotics are in their own words "no better than drug trafficers".

As someone who lives with chronic pain, it's been frustrating and demonising to me and my fellow sufferers to watch this before our very eyes. Sometimes it is so difficult to get our medications, it's downright criminal. Yes, there is a Pain Sufferers Bill of Rights, and it IS A CRIMINAL ACT to underprescribe or not effectively treat legitimate pain. This makes the Dr.'s position even more stressful. You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't. So a lot of Dr.'s have STOPPED prescribing opiate analgesics altogether. And the problem, again, is not the medication. It HAS BEEN PROVEN that long-term use of opiate analgesics are medically safe, and a very low percentage of people are actually at risk of abusing the drug. Yes, you can become dependent on opiates, but dependency is NOT the same as abuse. And, contrary to this huge widespread misconception about opiates, largely due to 'that german invention' heroine, rampant racism and xenophobia, opiates ARE NOT that dangerous, addictive, or dirty as many would have you believe. In the medical profession, Morphine, Oxymorphone, and Oxycodone and a few others are the strongest opiate narcotics prescribed for pain. But you know what? Due to the fact that heroine is boiled with acetic acid, it passes the blood brain barrier far more effectively than any other narcotic. As a result, it is THREE TIMES more potent than morphine!!! Yet heroine is not prescribed by Dr.'s. (at least anymore). The main point is that medical opiate narcotic analgesics are medically SAFE, in fact far safer than even alcohol, and MUCH MUCH safer than benzodiazepines which for SOME REASON don't get the same press. And I think that illustrates a good point, most of this crap is all based on perception and existing DOGMA. The benzodiazepines (Valium, Ativan, Xanax, Klonopin, etc...) are VERY dangerous, and their withdrawall symptoms are far worse than narcotics, with a MUCH MUCH higher fatality rate. Think Grand Mal Seizures... BUT they don't carry the dogma or the 'dirty' xenophobic, and misplaced ethical position that narcotics have on the collective consciousness. In fact, it almost seems a nice little fad. Stressed out? Life got you on the down? Here take a xanax! It's all good!

Holy geez, I guess this is a long rant. Maybe if I wasn't in such PAIN right now because I am out of my meds, I'd be calmer. But, as it is this nifty piece of new legislation has gone into effect which has put my pharmacy into a position of not being able to give me my refill for 90 days. Yes, you read that correct. EVEN THOUGH THIS CONTRADICTS MY DR.'S PRESCRIBING INDICATIONS (I get 60 a month --1 twice daily). Now at the end of my month I am told I have to wait another 60 days??? And that my current prescription should LAST ME TILL THEN???? How messed up is that! But it gets better... I am in limbo right now. I call my Dr. and he is willing to write me a new script, but APPARENTLY, he has had the DEA breathing down his neck because this can/may be considered DOUBLE-DIPPING because my other script is still valid. Basically, you can't have two different triplicate scripts out at the same time for a schedule II or III substance. Sometimes I just wish that those a-holes could walk in my shoes for a minute to see what it feels like. They just don't understand. And no one DOES understand what it's like to be in debilitating chronic pain until they are. Apparently, the lack of basic human compassion seems to be a requirement for being one of these politicians or DEA Agents. But then I wouldn't wish this kind of pain on anybody. It's just too bad that you have hypocritical wankers out there who put their own self-interests before those with legitimate needs.

The government should not be all over doctor's cases about the way they treat any of their patients, including pain patients. It has been alleged that some patients are "over-treated" but this doesn't seem to be universal. I've had opiate pain killers. I had Demerol after they cut my wisdom teeth out of the bone, all four of them. OUCH!! That was hell!:censored: :censored: I had something else when I got the infected root canal (I had fever of 103 in addiction to the Pain From Hell). Ugh. I honestly thought that was going to kill me. This stuff is stressful. If a patient is in severe pain they need to be treated without the DEA all over his or her doctor's case.

Rush Limbaugh.
The name alone evokes all kinds of emotions for many different people....

In the early/mid 90s I worshiped the man.

I started to sour on him in the late 90s a bit, and gradually started a departure from him all together.

Red flags and alarm bells started going off in my head while listening to him when I was going thru my divorce w/my ex.

When you go thru a monumental lifestyle change in your personal life such a death, or a divorce, alot of us suddenly become more introspective and forgiving..I didnt hear these attributes in Rush's monologues..I became acutely aware that this fellow was altho funny, he was more pompous and proud and was actually aleinating a lot of potentail people to the conservative movement.

I realized that the conservative movement was A LOT larger that one talk show host..and these "ditto heads" were idolizing a man more than an idealoloy..which is hazardous because all men are fallible..
I have always believed the movement to be larger than the man..

The last straw was when Rush mad some stupid ass comments about Bono that he had heard third hand. Thats when it dawned on me the man was much more of a propagandist more than a deep thinker..
I pulled the plug on him then.

I hope he gets a handle on his addictions..

DB9

Last edited:
diamond said:
Rush Limbaugh.
The name alone evokes all kinds of emotions for many different people....

In the early/mid 90s I worshiped the man.

I started to sour on him in the late 90s a bit, and gradually started a departure from him all together.

Red flags and alarm bells started going off in my head while listening to him when I was going thru my divorce w/my ex.

When you go thru a monumental lifestyle change in your personal life such a death, or a divorce, alot of us suddenly become more introspective and forgiving..I didnt hear these attributes in Rush's monologues..I became acutely aware that this fellow was altho funny, he was more pompous and proud and was actually aleinating a lot of potentail people to the conservative movement.

I realized that the conservative movement was A LOT larger that one talk show host..and these "ditto heads" were idolizing a man more than an idealoloy..which is hazardous because all men are fallible..
I have always believed the movement to be larger than the man..

The last straw was when Rush mad some stupid ass comments about Bono that he had heard third hand. Thats when it dawned on me the man was much more of a propagandist more than a deep thinker..
I pulled the plug on him then.

I hope he gets a handle on his addictions..

DB9

Good post, Diamond. Probably one of the most honest I've seen in here in awhile. Thanks.

awesome post diamond.

Sorry to hear about your divorce. I am going through that, or the beginning of that, right now. You never know what you will do in such a situation until it's there in your face. And man how your life changes, and how you react to those changes. I'll be the first to admit that the first couple months of this I pretty much self-medicated with alcohol and sometimes drugs. But the pain starts to ease and you get your head in a better place and you get past that. So in a small way I understand what this addiction could be like. So I do wish Rush the best on that regard. But as for him as a person and a public figure, I do think he is dangerous and destructive, and does more harm than good for either the right or the left politically. Glad you saw through his schtick.

As much as I'd like to say that Rush should be treated in the manner he advocated for drug abusers, I don't think that's a Christian approach to the problem--or even, to be more generic, a liberal or enlightened approach. Rush should go through rehab and counseling and be urged to return to a productive life without abusing drugs. "Show mercy and ye shall be shown mercy," etc. etc.

Now that he has an idea of the horrors drug addicts face, regardless of how they acquire their addictions, maybe he will realize how lucky he is to be getting treatment and avoiding criminal charges. Maybe he will come back as an advocate for drug law reform and merciful treatment of nonviolent drug offenders.

then again, maybe not. :angry:

wouldnt it be a bit funny IF Rush came back all "Mr New Ager-Lets all Hug Trees together and do yoga all day long"--kinda guy?
Now that would be ironic..
:sexywink:

Now that would be ironic. However, I see him more inclined to really put people down that can't beat it. I really hope I'm wrong about that. Even though he has been in rehab a couple of times previously, it seems to have a strong hold on him. Maybe he can get this monkey off his back and then stay off of other people's also. He will be in a unique position to really do something good for a large segment of the population, if he handles it the right way.

Verte
BonoVoxSuperStar
Womanfish-
Thanks for your kind words..
This could be God's way of teaching Rush humility and God's way of teaching some of us to stop idolizing one person..

db9

Back
Top Bottom