Drug Rush? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2003, 09:12 PM   #31
Babyface

Local Time: 03:25 PM
For the "who cares?" comment, I'm not sure what's so objectionable. I doubt Rush was suggesting that blacks should have less political power than other groups: every black has one vote and as a group they can organize into political organizations -- just like everyone else, from gun nuts to tree huggers. I doubt Rush was criticizing that. More likely, he was criticizing the suggestion that they have more political power than reality justifies.

I certainly don't know how mentioning that stat is racist. It is true that blacks make up only 12% or so of the U.S. population. I don't know what's racist about bringing that up.

About the Jesse Jackson comment, Rush is saying Jackson looks like a criminal. Is that a low blow and a personal insult? Definitely.

But when is it racist to insult someone who happens to be black? Rush didn't focus on the fact that Jesse Jackson's black.

Even out of context, I'm not sure where the charge of racism is coming from.

If it weren't for my horse...

Old 10-05-2003, 10:01 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:25 PM
"Have you ever noticed how all newspaper composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?"

ALL pictures of CRIMINALS resemble JESSE JACKSON

Jesse Jackson (Black) All criminals (black)

Quote:
About the Jesse Jackson comment, Rush is saying Jackson looks like a criminal. Is that a low blow and a personal insult? Definitely.

But when is it racist to insult someone who happens to be black? Rush didn't focus on the fact that Jesse Jackson's black.

"Rush is saying Jackson looks like a criminal."

all newspaper composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson

Or maybe Rush meant Rev. Jesse Jackson (religious) all criminals (religious) therefore, all religious are criminal?

I think Rush was going for the first premise.

Old 10-05-2003, 10:45 PM   #33
Babyface

Did you just say that all criminals are black?

Old 10-05-2003, 11:00 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:25 PM
Rush implied that.
Old 10-05-2003, 11:39 PM   #35
Babyface

Did Rush imply that, or did you infer that? Who's really the racist?

Let's say that someone says Jeff Foxworthy look like the typical mugshot (and that's not too unreasonable). Did that guy just imply that all criminals are white?

Old 10-05-2003, 11:50 PM   #36
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
The one thing I hate about quotes....they are isolated from the context of the conversation.
What difference would the context of the Jesse Jackson remark make?

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:27 AM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 01:25 PM
Lewis you argue a point and when you are proven wrong you turn to calling another poster racist?

Look at the quotes. Adress everyone of them. Try it and try to justify each one. You have been listening to Rush for 15 years and you 'trump' all of us. You must have remembered these quotes and the context they were in. Oh yeah I forgot it wouldnt matter to me what context they are in, they are all racist.

You are blind in your love of Rush. Wake up.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:10 AM   #38
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora

What difference would the context of the Jesse Jackson remark make?
Were they talking about a specific crime in which the guy did look like Jessie Jackson? Or is it a dig at Jackson looking like the criminal. It is not racist, does not even come close to the definition.

I am sorry, I am sure many here find Jessie to be a hero. he has done heroic things, and I do not take that away from him. Many times however I find Jessie to be a "facts be damned" opportunist. I also find his behavior as a minister to be pretty repulsive. Clinton chose the right man to council him on adultry.

I am not saying his comments are not offensive. I am just not certain in the context of which they are said, they are racist by the definition. I think it is so easy to scream racism when offended by a offensive comment these days. It is really a word thrown at people too much.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:16 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

I am sure james "Whitey" Bulger is thrilled with the comment though...LOL Maybe that is why the FBI cannot find him.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:39 AM   #40
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

He wasn't talking about a specific crime--he said ALL newspaper composite pictures of criminals look like Jesse Jackson. (Whom I don't like much, by the way, but still. I'd never say that all newspaper composite pictures of criminals look like, say, Rush Limbaugh.)

Again, .

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:32 PM   #41
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
He wasn't talking about a specific crime--he said ALL newspaper composite pictures of criminals look like Jesse Jackson. (Whom I don't like much, by the way, but still. I'd never say that all newspaper composite pictures of criminals look like, say, Rush Limbaugh.)

Again, .
Pax, you know for cetain the context of the entire conversation that prompted the comment? All I am saying is is that without the context of the show and topic I am left with a quote out of context. Having listened to his show about 10 times in my life, I can say that he does not just come out and make a comment for no reason at all. Therefore I am wondering the context.

He did not say with that comment that anyone was inferior, lacking in skills, lacking in intelligence which would indicate to me that he is a racist.

I have stated that based on the quotes I would categorize many of the comments as offensive and I would not want my children to say these things.

again back at ya!
Old 10-06-2003, 05:00 PM   #42
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:25 PM
And why wouldn't you want your children to say those things? Can one consistently make offensive comments based on race and not be a racists?

I'm sorry but you can't chalk up all the instances stated in the article posted by Melon as "his brand of humor." And you can't use the argument that he's just questioning the cannon of political correctness. You don't combat the extreme of PC by using the very ignorance that caused the movement.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:02 PM   #43
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Join Amnesty.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:05 PM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
And why wouldn't you want your children to say those things? Can one consistently make offensive comments based on race and not be a racists?

I'm sorry but you can't chalk up all the instances stated in the article posted by Melon as "his brand of humor." And you can't use the argument that he's just questioning the cannon of political correctness. You don't combat the extreme of PC by using the very ignorance that caused the movement.
I believe that you asked me what the definition of racisim was that I was going by. I posted it a while ago. I do not believe that the comments about Jessie jackson have anything to do with the definition of racism.

One can be anti-pc and not be a racist.

I do find some of the comments offensive, and I would be hard pressed to not want to go to to toe with the man over them. I still feel that while they are not PC, it does not make him a racist.

I still think that the context of the comment is important as well.

Peace
Old 10-06-2003, 05:06 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote: