Dr. Martin Luther King Jr - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2005, 08:07 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:47 AM
Naysayers love pointing out some of King's "flaws". For example, some scream of King's supposed infidelity.

But to me, that's a personal issue - if it was true.

What is more important is what the man did for his generation. Unlike Malcolm X, King spoke of unity, not separation. He spoke of equality.

While there is still racism in our world - sadly too much of it - I'm also far happy to see how it is no longer acceptable. Bigots are mocked and ostracized. There is equality in the working place (at least on paper). All races and both genders have the same opportunities in the world.

We still have a long way to go. Hatred against homosexuals is still a major problem. And getting minorities and women into position of power remains a challenge (I would love to have a woman President!). But thanks to people like MLK, the world is a better place.

His speeches are legendary and his inspiration has remained strong for nearly 4 decades after his death. Bigots and those who feared change silenced him (and many others in the 60's), but change came and we are better for it.

Old 01-16-2005, 08:21 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:47 AM
Thanks for the thread, Jamila. MLK zeroed in on what he felt needed to be changed in the world and the world hasn't been the same since. Just think if we all had that integrity to stand up for the injustice we see in our world today. May we all reflect on what we can do to make it a better world in memory of the Rev. MLK.

Old 01-17-2005, 06:25 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Dr. King was a true hero in my eyes
Old 01-17-2005, 08:33 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

MLK is going strong here in FYM ....17 replies....
Old 01-17-2005, 08:48 AM   #20
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:47 AM
may your dream be realized...
Old 01-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #21
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:47 PM
I am convinced that if we are to get on the right side of the world revolution, we as a nation must undergo a radical revolution of values. We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/058.html

A day to remember perhaps one of the world's greatest leaders. I like this quote above especially since it speaks so strongly against the *instiutionalized evils* of our society. Naturally, this quote has been censored.... Many leaders now are more comfortable watering down the full extent of Dr. King's teachings because it was such a treat to the status quo. I bet you won't hear a thing today about his opposition to Vietnam....

SD
Old 01-17-2005, 11:56 AM   #22
New Yorker

Here you go Sherry. His words are as true today as then

From "Beyond Vietnam," April 4, 1967, Riverside Church, New York City.

As I have walked among the desperate, rejected and angry young men [in the ghettos] I have told them that Molotov cocktails and rifles would not solve their problems. I have tried to offer them my deepest compassion while maintaining my conviction that social change comes most meaningfully through nonviolent action. But they asked – and rightly so – what about Vietnam? They asked if our own nation wasn't using massive doses of violence to solve its problems, to bring about the changes it wanted. Their questions hit home, and I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today – my own government. For the sake of those boys, for the sake of this government, for the sake of hundreds of thousands trembling under our violence, I cannot be silent.

... Now, it should be incandescently clear that no one who has any concern for the integrity and life of America today can ignore the present war. If America's soul becomes totally poisoned, part of the autopsy must read Vietnam. It can never be saved so long as it destroys the deepest hopes of men the world over.

... Somehow this madness must cease. We must stop now. I speak as a child of God and brother to the suffering poor of Vietnam. I speak for those whose land is being laid waste, whose homes are being destroyed, whose culture is being subverted. I speak for the poor of America who are paying the double price of smashed hopes at home and death and corruption in Vietnam. I speak as a citizen of the world, for the world as it stands aghast at the path we have taken. I speak as an American to the leaders of my own nation. The great initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours.

In 1957 a sensitive American official overseas said that it seemed to him that our nation was on the wrong side of a world revolution. ... I am convinced that if we are to get on the right side of the world revolution, we as a nation must undergo a radical revolution of values. We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing-oriented" society to a "person-oriented" society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.

A true revolution of values will soon cause us to question the fairness and justice of many of our past and present policies. ... A true revolution of values will soon look uneasily on the glaring contrast of poverty and wealth. With righteous indignation, it will look across the seas and see individual capitalists of the West investing huge sums of money in Asia, Africa and South America, only to take the profits out with no concern for the social betterment of the countries, and say: "This is not just." It will look at our alliance with the landed gentry of Latin America and say: "This is not just." The Western arrogance of feeling that it has everything to teach others and nothing to learn from them is not just. A true revolution of values will lay hands on the world order and say of war: "This way of settling differences is not just." This business of burning human beings with napalm, of filling our nation's homes with orphans and widows, of injecting poisonous drugs of hate into veins of people normally humane, of sending men home from dark and bloody battlefields physically handicapped and psychologically deranged, cannot be reconciled with wisdom, justice and love. A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.

America, the richest and most powerful nation in the world, can well lead the way in this revolution of values. There is nothing, except a tragic death wish, to prevent us from reordering our priorities, so that the pursuit of peace will take precedence over the pursuit of war. There is nothing to keep us from molding a recalcitrant status quo with bruised hands until we have fashioned it into a brotherhood.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:58 PM   #23
Acrobat

Ok I have a great MLK story...

About 12 years ago, one night after work, my husband (my boyfriend of a few weeks at that time) and I were heading to my house or to eat or something. Anyway, as we were driving out of Little Five Points down Edgewood Ave I asked my husband if he had been to the King Center since his arrivial in Atlanta. He had not.

Now this was around 12 midnight but I said ok lets stop and I will show you the flame and his grave etc. So we did and he saw it etc and then I said lets sit over there on the steps for a moment. So we are sitting there and I start waxing on about what King stood for and how I embraced it and how it is very similar to what the people in his country have endured (his country being Northern Ireland).

Im going on and on with my really passion filled diatribe and in the middle of it he looks up at this statue there at the king center and in his Irish accent says "Hey is that Rocky?"

Little did I know, that would be indicative of how we would continue to communicate for years to come
Old 01-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #24
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:47 PM
I loved it, SW, thanks so much!

Cheryl
Old 01-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:47 PM
Thanks SW. What a true leader Dr. King was.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:19 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thnaks, everyone, for contributing your heartfelt thoughts about Dr. King and his significance in your lives.

His influence is everywhere in our society if we only look deep rnough to see it.

And Scarletwine, thanks very much for your contribution of Dr. King's comments on the Vietnam War and militarism. I still think his words are sufficient for the militarism that we still see in our world.

I have been gone all day staffing a booth on the AIDS pandemic in Africa for our local MLK March and Festival. While speaking to the people I met and got to sign The ONE Campaign's petitions (8 pages of petitions filled out - ), I kept thinking of how Dr. King would be a voice of concern, compassion and commitment for those suffering the effects of AIDS around the world simply because they are too poor to afford a dollar a day to save their lives.

So, as I leave this thread tonight with a sore throat but a more confident heart, I will refer y'all to an event that has become ONE of the highlights of my life and which happened ONE year ago tonight.

I hope you will enjoy it.

IN THE NAME OF LOVE....

http://forum.interference.com/t87631.html
Old 01-18-2005, 12:32 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Was one of my heros growing up, and before I even got into U2.

It's a main thing on my to-do list, going down to Atlanta and visiting his memorial, where he was born and buried.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:28 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

I also think it's important for him to not be remembered as a legend... But as a reality...

Old 07-01-2005, 04:48 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Just now reading this...
Old 07-01-2005, 07:45 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

never too late to remember Dr. King, Carmelu2fan!

Thanks for reviving this thread.