Dr Dobson's plea for action!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the rockin edge

Blue Crack Addict
i got this in a forwarded email petition asking for signatures the other day:

Dr. Dobson & CBS Response

Apparently we are to be allowed to watch TV
programs that use every foul word in the English
language, but not the word "God." It will only
take a minute to read this and see if you think
you should send it out

DR. DOBSON'S PLEA FOR ACTION

CBS discontinued "Touched by an Angel" for using
the word God in every program. Madeline Murray
O'Hare, an atheist, successfully managed to
eliminate the use of Bible reading from public
schools a few years ago.

Now her organization has been granted a federal
hearing on the same subject by the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) in Washington, DC.

Their petition, Number 2493, would ultimately pave
the way to stop the reading of the gospel our Lord
and Savior, on the airwaves of America.

They got 287,000 signatures to back their stand!
If this attempt is successful, all Sunday worship
! services being broadcast on the radio or by
television will be stopped. This group is also
campaigning to remove all Christmas programs and
Christmas carols from public schools!

You as a Christian can help!

We are praying for at least 1 million signatures. This would
defeat their effort and show that there are many Christians
alive, well and concerned about our country. As Christians
we must unite on this. Please don't take this lightly.

We ignored this lady once and lost prayer in our
school and in offices across the nation

Please stand up for your religious freedom and let
your voice be heard. Together we can make a
difference in our country while creating a way for
the lost to know the Lord.

Please press "forward", and forward this to
everyone that you think should read this.
Now, please sign your name at the bottom (you
can only add your name after you have pressed the
"Forward").
Don't delete any other names, just go to the next
number and type your name and state. Please defeat this
organization and keep the right of our freedom of religion.

REMEMBER! : Our country was founded on freedom of religion
and our Constitution is based on the 10 Commandments.

thoughts? :wink:

:shrug:

i suppose even the most powerful most influential most protected group of believers in history are bound to have a few members of said group who find it intensely pleasurable to feel under attack.

I know someone who works for Focus on the Family. I got this email too so I called and asked her about this, because it sounded pretty ridiculous. Apparently that petition is false. :shrug:

I got that e-mail, too. One of my aunts forwarded it to me. She's always forwarding chain e-mails to me and I can't think of a polite way to make her stop. Most of them are harmless, but once in a while I get something like this and I just want to e-mail her back and type something like USE THE BRAIN GOD GAVE YOU AND STOP BLINDLY FOLLOWING HOLIER-THAN-THOU LYING NUTCASES!

Wasn't Touched By An Angel on the air for 10 years or something like that? It certainly seemed like forever. I seriously doubt they got taken off the air because they mentioned God too much. Usually when a show is on the air that long and gets taken off its because the ratings simply aren't what they used to be or the producers themselves are sick of the show and want to move on.

sing with me: "Fuck the flag and fuck you. Fuck the fuckin' flag and fuck you. Burn the fucker!"
Not the greatest lyrics ever, but eh, whatever.

I swear I got that email almost everyday when i seriously moved among conservative christian circles. Feeling as if the are an oppressed minority enables them to keep going somehow. It's all so very weird.

is this the same Focus on the Family that proposes placing rubber bands around the wrists of infants that exhibit homosexual tendencies...or am I thinking of a different Focus on the Family? :scratch:

it really is bizarre how they try to spin it as Christians being the oppressed minority. I can thinking of several Daily Show segments on the topic. :lmao:

VertigoGal said:
is this the same Focus on the Family that proposes placing rubber bands around the wrists of infants that exhibit homosexual tendencies...or am I thinking of a different Focus on the Family? :scratch:

Yes, it's the same Focus on the Fascism.

Melon

blueyedpoet said:
I swear I got that email almost everyday when i seriously moved among conservative christian circles. Feeling as if the are an oppressed minority enables them to keep going somehow. It's all so very weird.

I remember seeing a similar email years ago. I found it funny considering O'Hare has been dead for years.

The seige mentality (or underdog) is a mechanism to bolster any group.

nbcrusader said:

I remember seeing a similar email years ago. I found it funny considering O'Hare has been dead for years.

The seige mentality (or underdog) is a mechanism to bolster any group.

You're absolutely right on both of these points.
I wonder what other groups are guilty of continuously believing they are the underdog.

blueyedpoet said:
I wonder what other groups are guilty of continuously believing they are the underdog.

That could be a never ending list to include all organizatons, groups, teams, etc. The socio-political structure of the country does not automatically adopt the will of the majority (and rightly so given some of the historic abuses).

nbcrusader said:

That could be a never ending list to include all organizatons, groups, teams, etc. The socio-political structure of the country does not automatically adopt the will of the majority (and rightly so given some of the historic abuses).

Oh, I know. It was those "activist" judges that gave black people and women civil rights. Damn you "activist" judges!

melon said:

Yes, it's the same Focus on the Fascism.

Hefty eye-roll at this...

But this email annoys me, as it's been debunked more times than anyone can count. There's enough legitimate issues to address in our world today without forwarding on this rubbish.

And I do wonder how many Christians forward on these emails, while emails from organizations trying to stem the tide of AIDS in Africa have to fight for whatever attention they can get.

nbcrusader said:
Wow. Extremist.

I wonder how many groups fall under that definition.

Focus on the Fascism = hysterical anti-gay organization

Neo-Nazis = hysterical anti-Semitic organizations

KKK = hysterical anti-black organization

But I guess when you're a stright white Christian male, you've got the luxury of hefty eye rolls.

Melon

nbcrusader said:

No, it was implimentation of legislation.

Some might say that black people still don't have complete civil rights. I'd be inclined to agree.
Even to this day, most black women cannot possibly live up to America's ideal of beauty. Think about the women that are considered beautiful in our society. How many of them are black?
What about Halle Berry or Beyonce?
Well, I wonder if they're so successful because they're on the lighter side.
I'm sure that some might argue that being able to see yourself as beautiful has nothing to do with civil rights. However, if your society won't let you see yourself as beautiful, how can you possibly began to be free?

melon said:

Focus on the Fascism = hysterical anti-gay organization

Neo-Nazis = hysterical anti-Semitic organizations

KKK = hysterical anti-black organization

But I guess when you're a stright white Christian male, you've got the luxury of hefty eye rolls.

Melon

PETA = hysterical anti-people organization

I dislike Dobson, a lot, but to lump his organization along with those single-platform hate groups is, well, hysterical.

Back
Top Bottom