Dr. Blix...How come you did not report everything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
Iraqi drone 'could drop chemicals on troops'
From James Bone in New York

A REPORT declassified by the United Nations yesterday contained a hidden bombshell with the revelation that inspectors have recently discovered an undeclared Iraqi drone with a wingspan of 7.45m, suggesting an illegal range that could threaten Iraq?s neighbours with chemical and biological weapons.
US officials were outraged that Hans Blix, the chief UN weapons inspector, did not inform the Security Council about the drone, or remotely piloted vehicle, in his oral presentation to Foreign Ministers and tried to bury it in a 173-page single-spaced report distributed later in the day. The omission raised serious questions about Dr Blix?s objectivity.

?Recent inspections have also revealed the existence of a drone with a wingspan of 7.45m that has not been declared by Iraq,? the report said. ?Officials at the inspection site stated that the drone had been test-flown. Further investigation is required to establish the actual specifications and capabilities of these RPV drones . . . (they) are restricted by the same UN rules as missiles, which limit their range to 150km (92.6 miles).

Colin Powell, the US Secretary of State, told the Security Council in February that Washington had evidence that Iraq had test-flown a drone in a race-track pattern for 500km non-stop.

In another section of the declassified report, the inspectors give warning that Iraq still has spraying devices and drop tanks that could be used in dispersing chemical and biological agents from aircraft. ?A large number of drop tanks of various types, both imported and locally manufactured, are available and could be modified,? it says.

The paper, obtained by The Times, details the possible chemical and biological arsenal that British and US Forces could face in an invasion of Iraq. The paper suggests that Iraq has huge stockpiles of anthrax, may be developing long-range missiles and could possess chemical and biological R400 aerial bombs and Scud missiles, and even smallpox.

Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, told his fellow Security Council Foreign Ministers that the document was a?chilling read?.

General Powell resorted to reading passages from the paper out loud in the Council chamber. He pointed out that it chronicled nearly 30 times when Iraq had failed to provide credible evidence to substantiate its claims, and 17 instances when inspectors uncovered evidence that contradicted those claims. But his draft copy, dating from a meeting of the inspectors? advisory board last week, did not contain the crucial passage about the new drone.

The decision by Dr Blix to declassify the internal report marks the first time the UN has made public its suspicions about Iraq?s banned weapons programmes, rather than what it has been able to actually confirm. ?Unmovic has credible information that the total quantity of biological warfare agent in bombs, warheads and in bulk at the time of the Gulf War was 7,000 litres more than declared by Iraq. This additional agent was most likely all anthrax,? it says.

The report says there is ?credible information? indicating that 21,000 litres of biological warfare agent, including some 10,000 litres of anthrax, was stored in bulk at locations around the country during the war and was never destroyed.

The paper, a collection of 29 ?clusters? of questions for Iraq, offers some reassurance about Iraq?s missing botulinum toxin, which Unmovic believed is ?unlikely to retain much, if any, of its potency? if it has been stockpiled since 1991.

In my opinion, Dr. Blix is being played like a fiddle by Saddam Hussein. He is also if the report above is true, leaving things out and not providing the Security Council the whole picture. I am rapidly falling into line with the administrations position that we will act without the UN's permission.

gomer.jpg

General Powell resorted to reading passages from the paper out loud in the Council chamber. He pointed out that it chronicled nearly 30 times when Iraq had failed to provide credible evidence to substantiate its claims, and 17 instances when inspectors uncovered evidence that contradicted those claims.

Yesssss.....this is compliance....this is cooperation!!!!!

It sounds like the UN is turning into Screw-Up City. I'm confused. The British wanted to work with the UN, the last I heard. I'm off to check some more reports.

verte76 said:
It sounds like the UN is turning into Screw-Up City. I'm confused. The British wanted to work with the UN, the last I heard. I'm off to check some more reports.

Did you realy think that the UN was a place of democration and respect ?

The UN is all about selling en buying votes, manipulation and desrepect for other opinions.

BTW, Blix repoterted everything in the papers that he give out after his speech but he did not read it out loud in his speech.

Read you,....

Rono said:

Did you realy think that the UN was a place of democration and respect ?

Read you,....

no, alot of us dont.

Yes
we
read
you
Brother Rono..:)

diamond

Well my friend Rono, it's quite impossible to live up to a word, i.e. democration, that doesn't exist.

Perhaps you were thinking democratization?

So just who's example of democratization should the UN follow? George Bush's?

Dont make me sick.

gabrielvox said:
Dont make me sick.
I fail to see how comments like this and ridiculing ones knowledge of the english language (shoot me, I'm dutch) can lead to a healthy debate

so my proposition is,
that you don't post stuff like that anymore

Anyhow, no doubt that the UN could have more democratic options on certain issues, like giving more consideration to the Group of 55 instead of other groups. But if you take a look on the UN charta and UN documents, I have to say that the principles laid down there favor a very democratic appraoch. How could it be any different? After all it is the United Nations, not one nation.

people just dont seem to have any desire to address this issue, if it were the Bush Administration leaving something crucial out of a report there would be 100 angry replies to this thread, instaed, we have stuff about the correct part of speech of a word

if this is the example the UN is setting, how can they have any authority in telling others how to run their governments? people everyday ask this question of the US, but refuse to hold the UN to similar standards, interesting...

gabrielvox said:
Well my friend Rono, it's quite impossible to live up to a word, i.e. democration, that doesn't exist.

Perhaps you were thinking democratization?

So just who's example of democratization should the UN follow? George Bush's?

Dont make me sick.
I meant Democracy,...

The UN is not a place where you can find democracy.

:der:

Last edited:
The Wanderer said:
people just dont seem to have any desire to address this issue, if it were the Bush Administration leaving something crucial out of a report there would be 100 angry replies to this thread, instaed, we have stuff about the correct part of speech of a word

You noticed this too? It is getting so that you have to put either AIDS or George Bush in the thread to get a response.

The Wanderer said:
if this is the example the UN is setting, how can they have any authority in telling others how to run their governments? people everyday ask this question of the US, but refuse to hold the UN to similar standards, interesting...

This is, of course, the main point of the U.N., and also it's most dangerous weapon... the destruction of State sovereignty. An world governing body telling world nation states how to run their government... I've heard of this somewhere else before too.

Well, I've not found any other newsite that has reported this particular incident. I would imagine if it was quite the seedy story of deception that this particular article was making out, that at least some of the major newsites (ie BBC, CNN, Reuters etc) may have picked up on it too. I could be wrong tho, it wouldn't be the first time :)

James Bone writes for the London Times. But here you go, a second article on the topic:

War on Terror archive

March 08, 2003

General Colin Powell (right) and Sir Jeremy Greenstock, British Ambassador to the UN, confer beside Jack Straw yesterday

Iraq gets ten days to avert war
By Philip Webster, James Bone and Roland Watson

SADDAM HUSSEIN has ten days to disarm or face the certainty of a war led by America and Britain.
Tony Blair took the gamble of his life last night when he demanded that the UN Security Council agree to a final deadline of March 17 for the Iraqi leader to come into line.

The Prime Minister did so without any guarantee of securing the nine UN votes needed on Tuesday for a resolution authorising war or of stopping France and Russia vetoing it. And he did so in the face of a report from Hans Blix which concluded that Iraq had carried out a ?substantial measure of disarmament?. The chief UN weapons inspector said: ?We are not watching the breaking of toothpicks, lethal weapons are being destroyed.?

Dr Blix did not, however, tell the Security Council until after yesterday?s foreign ministers? meeting that he had discovered a new Iraqi drone that could be used to spray chemical weapons over a range of 300 miles.

The ultimatum was proposed by Jack Straw in a dramatic speech in which he called on the international community to uphold the will of the UN.

France?s Dominique de Villepin had rejected the deadline as a pretext for war, declaring ?We cannot accept an ultimatum as long as inspectors are reporting co-operation. France will not allow a resolution to pass that authorises the automatic use of force.?

But Mr Straw took on M Villepin in open combat, saying that the pressure on Saddam had come because there were ?over 200,000 US and UK young men and young women willing to put their lives on the line for the sake of this body, the UN?. Saddam must be put to the test.

The Foreign Secretary accused M de Villepin of posing a ?false choice? in suggesting that the Council could choose peace or war: ?The choice, Dominique, is not ours as to how this disarmament takes place, it is Saddam Hussein?s.?

Mr Blair has put his career on the line by deciding to put a resolution to a vote next week. It reads: ?Iraq will have failed to take the final opportunity afforded in Resolution 1441 unless, on or before 17 March, 2003, the Council concludes that Iraq had demonstrated full, unconditional, immediate and active co-operation.?

President Bush had agreed with Mr Blair that diplomacy should be given a final week to end the crisis. But there is no doubt that whatever happens to the resolution, America will be ready to go to war the week after next ? with British troops alongside.

UN backing is not essential for Mr Bush, but he is fully aware that Mr Blair needs it to win Labour Party and British public support for military action. If the resolution fails, Mr Blair will face a revolt even larger than last week?s, when 121 Labour MPs voted against him. That would raise serious questions about his future.

Britain?s decision to table the deadline came after frantic discussions involving Mr Straw, Colin Powell, the US Secretary of State, and the key ?swing? members of the Security Council, some of whom were consulted over the wording of the amendment. If they get the nine votes they need, Britain and America will effectively dare France and Russia to veto it. There were signs last night that Russia might soften its position after calls from Mr Blair and Mr Bush.

Dr Blix said that Iraq had begun to co-operate with his inspectors; 34 proscribed al-Samoud 2 missiles had been destroyed and papers had been supplied relating to anthrax stocks. Of the scrapping of the al-Samoud missiles, he said: ?The destruction undertaken constitutes a substantial measure of disarmament.? Baghdad?s co-operation ?can be seen as active, or even proactive?, he concluded. Dr Blix had also, however, submitted a 167-page report in which he suggested that Iraq still had huge stocks of biological and chemical weapons and that it might be relaunching banned missile programmes.

Downing Street said that the report showed that co-operation was neither immediate nor full; Mr Straw described the report as chilling and General Powell quoted passages to show that Saddam?s intent had not changed and that Iraq was ?moving down the path to weapons of mass destruction?.

But Dr Blix infuriated America by failing to tell the foreign ministers about the discovery of a new Iraqi drone with a wingspan of more than seven metres. The drone, which is subject to the same UN rules as missiles, had been test-flown for 500km (300 miles) non-stop; the UN limit is 150km.

The discovery was reported in a six-page addendum to Dr Blix?s report, which was not circulated until after the Security Council meeting.

hmmmm, James Bone???, didn't he write the first article u posted? :) (btw, excuse my spelling/abbreviations, I'm a chat room inhabitant mainly, they don't make us use proper language in there :))

Umm...yes he did, it is kind of why I referred back to him and the newspaper he worked for. It seems you were not able to find ANY other article to do with it. Now he co-authored another.

Of course, unless the American media picks up on it....Did the tree make any noise?

NY Post:

U.N. BURIED IRAQ-DRONE REPORT

By CLEMENTE LISI
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 8, 2003 -- A report declassified by the United Nations yesterday revealed that weapons inspectors had recently found an undeclared Iraqi drone that could threaten troops with a biological attack.
U.S. officials were outraged that U.N. weapons chief Hans Blix did not tell the Security Council about the unpiloted plane, but instead tried to bury the bombshell revelation in his 173-page report, the Times of London reports.

Secretary of State Colin Powell had informed the Security Council last month that Iraq had test-flown a drone.

In another section of the report, U.N. inspectors warn Iraq also has spraying devices that could be used to disperse chemical and biological agents from an airplane, the paper reported.

The report also warns that Iraq has huge stockpiles of anthrax and may be developing long-range missiles that could possess small pox.

Yes, this article is extremely suspect. Terrible how such awful propaganda is put on the pages of FYM. It certainly does not hold water compared to Bush Demands Standing O".

Since it appears my post has been questioned as being legit, and I posted another article by, yes the same author...I will now through the art of a Google Search present the following links that should more than clear my name and the name of the author of the above articles. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS, YOU MAY HURT YOURSELVES.

BBC:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2834723.stm

USA TODAY:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2834723.stm

Brunei Direct:http://www.brudirect.com/DailyInfo/News/Archive/Mar03/090303/wn02.htm

WorldNetDaily:http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=31420

Albuquerque Tribune:
http://www.abqtrib.com/archives/news03/030803_news_dossier.shtml

ContraCostaTimes:
http://krd.realcities.com/ads/media/bayarea/news/popup2.htm

UPI International:
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030308-051317-4806r

FOX NEWS:
http://ads.specificpop.com/pop_code;gid=17,pid=328,bid=653

I am sorry, but, I did find BBC and UPI international in case the other outlets are somehow suspect in their reporting. Maybe CNN will pick up on it soon.

Did you hear that tree?

Dreadsox said:
Yes, this article is extremely suspect. Terrible how such awful propaganda is put on the pages of FYM. It certainly does not hold water compared to Bush Demands Standing O".

Since it appears my post has been questioned as being legit, and I posted another article by, yes the same author...I will now through the art of a Google Search present the following links that should more than clear my name and the name of the author of the above articles. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS, YOU MAY HURT YOURSELVES.

BBC:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2834723.stm

USA TODAY:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2834723.stm

Brunei Direct:http://www.brudirect.com/DailyInfo/News/Archive/Mar03/090303/wn02.htm

WorldNetDaily:http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=31420

Albuquerque Tribune:
http://www.abqtrib.com/archives/news03/030803_news_dossier.shtml

ContraCostaTimes:
http://krd.realcities.com/ads/media/bayarea/news/popup2.htm

UPI International:
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030308-051317-4806r

FOX NEWS:
http://ads.specificpop.com/pop_code;gid=17,pid=328,bid=653

I am sorry, but, I did find BBC and UPI international in case the other outlets are somehow suspect in their reporting. Maybe CNN will pick up on it soon.

Did you hear that tree?

Thank you for the overwhelming sarcasm (the ridiculing comments where a nice additional touch too) and forgive me for not blindly believing everything I read the second I read it.

At the time I hadn't been able to find other articles that had reported about the drones in quite the same way as James Bone and, yes...shock..horror!!!, I thought he was trying to be a little sensationalistic (sp?).

Thanks for the additional links tho, I will read these all when I get home this evening.

:wave:

BTW, my apologies, I had no idea you took someone questioning an article that you posted so personally.

Dreadsox, it's not so much what you say as how you say it. JMHO. :wave:

UKTan said:

BTW, my apologies, I had no idea you took someone questioning an article that you posted so personally.

No, I am sorry, I just reread everything and I thing my Archie Bunker attitude from sepending a day with my relatives was coming through. My apologies, yours is not necessary.

Peace

anitram said:
Dreadsox, it's not so much what you say as how you say it. JMHO. :wave:

no, the issue here seems to be what people DON'T have to say, no one wants to comment on this, I guess it speaks for itself

first imply that the article isn't credible, then ridicule dreadsox for his "sarcasm" which seems to be nothing more than aggravation he's experienced (correct me if I'm wrong, I dont want to speak for him here, but I think that's the case here) at having to defend the article's legitimacy and point out that the story has been picked up all over the place

it appears the tree in question has termites and rotted a long time ago...

Yes, being questioned about the legitimacy of the article annoyed me. I was more annoyed at the fact that I found references to the drone in so many places.

The tree has termites...I Love it!

CNN is reporting that there is evidence, once again burried in an appendix of the UN report not only about the Drone Aircraft, but about a missile that spreads chemicals over the battle field.

THe fact that this is not mentioned in his "ORAL REPORT" while he took time to point out incorrect information presented by the US really demonstrates bias to me.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/10/sprj.irq.main/index.html

Back
Top Bottom