Down With the Redskins?.... Here's to the FIGHTING WHITIES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonite

I'm a chauvinist leprechaun
Hahahaha.. Here's a sweet article, I remember a thread a while back about people pissing and moaning about the whole Indian issue with the Redskins and the Seminoles and what not.. But Now.. it seems an Indian based Team has tried to turn the tables to infuriate the good ol' white man.. But It's seemed to Backfire, people are emailing off the hook to purchase T Shirts, Jerseys, .. Hell, I'm even going to get one..

It's creative, Its funny, and no one is 'wringing' their hands over this, no one is yelling and stomping, Those protesters should take a lesson on how to handle such issues...

~Wearing My Fighting Irish Shirt with Pride.

L.Unplugged

Here's the Article...

Cheer, cheer for the Fightin' Whities
By Valerie Richardson
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

DENVER ? Go ahead, Washington, keep your Redskins. Florida State can have its Seminoles and Atlanta its Braves. But don't mess with the University of Northern Colorado's Fightin' Whities.

Frustrated by their lack of success in ridding the sports world of Indians, Braves and Seminoles and assorted ferocious tribes, several members of the university's Native American Student Services in Greeley, Colo., are fighting mascots with mascots. Now fans of the school's intramural basketball league can, and many do, cheer for the Fightin' Whities.
The team's players, who include American Indian, Hispanic and even Caucasian students, wear white T-shirts emblazoned with a drawing of a not very fearsome-looking Ozzie Nelson-era man in a suit and tie, obviously looking for his briefcase with a white-bread sandwich inside. In the caption he declares: "Every thang's gonna be all white!"
"We thought, 'Let's just turn the tables on them,'" says Solomon Little Owl, director of the university's Native American Student Services and a member of the team. "We disagree with Native American caricatures in sports logos, but when we raise the issue, people say, 'Oh, it's not derogatory, it's meant to honor you.' So we decided to show them how it feels."
Unfortunately for Mr. Little Owl's campaign, a lot of the whities think it feels, well, pretty good.
The name was intended as a rebuke to Greeley's Eaton High School, whose mascot, the Fightin' Reds (it doesn't mean fightin' communists), has become the target of protests. Unable to persuade officials in the rural, predominantly white school district to change the logo, American Indian leaders are hoping that the Fightin' Whities will drive home the point.
"It's reverse psychology. If they're offended, we just proved our point," says Mr. Little Owl.
So far, however, Greeley's whities don't seem to get it. Far from being offended by the nickname, locals are telling the Greeley Tribune they "loved" the Whities and want to know where to get their jerseys.
"As a white male, I'm not offended, I'm honored that they are doing this," says one anonymous e-mailer. "It isn't often that white males get any good news."
"My husband and son (and me too) are honored to be finally named as the treasured mascot for something, anything. What a treat!" wrote another e-mailer.
With the irony lost on the community, Mr. Solomon agrees that the Whities could soon find their cheering section filled with fans who aren't exactly bursting with Native American pride. "Some people don't realize what we're trying to do" he says. "I'm getting these calls and e-mails from people saying, 'Hey, we're rooting for your team, we're proud to be white,' like they're white supremacists or something. Our next game is going to be pretty wild."
Another Greeley resident pointed out that the Fightin' Whities are hardly the nation's first Caucasian mascots. The Fighting Irish, the Ragin' Cajuns, the Norsemen, the Flying Dutchmen, the Britons, the Highlanders and the Gallopin' Gaels were representing their universities long before the Whities arrived.
Ken McConnelloghue, the university's spokesman, harrumphs that he is not amused, and the university is officially "disappointed" by the team's decision.
"Our mothers told us that two wrongs don't make a right," he says. "Being derogatory because someone was derogatory toward you is not the best way to go about it."
But derogatory is as derogatory does. Doug Chamberlain, principal of Eaton High School, says the name "doesn't insult me at all," although he's not sure why his school has been targeted by Indian groups. "There are mascots elsewhere in the nation that are much more egregious, like the Savages, than what we have here."
A group known as the Coalition to Eliminate Native American Caricatures and Mascots in Colorado High Schools went to the school board earlier this year to try to change the mascot, but so far the board has taken no action. One reason is that the logo enjoys strong support from the 450-member student body.
Before the university's intramural team became the Fightin' Whities, it was the Native Pride. "At the time, there was all this news about the local school, the Reds, so we thought, 'If they want to have the Reds, then we can be the Fightin' Whities," says Charles Cuny, a UNC student and founder of the Fightin' Whities.
Mr. Cuny, who grew up on the Oglala Lakota reservation in Pine Ridge, S.D., says most people are taking the mascot as good clean fun. "Some people look at it as a joke; some might say we're crybabies."
Even if most people don't take the Fightin' Whities seriously, however, Mr. Cuny says the name has served its purpose. "It's a way to break the ice, to look at the issue in a different light," he says.
The team meets March 27 for the intramural basketball tournament, and the Whities are bracing for a big night. Mr. Little Owl says he expects between 200 and 500 persons, and he thinks a lot of them will be reporters and photographers.
"This is the beginning, and we're going to keep at it," says Mr. Little Owl. "The fight's on now." And if everything's not going to be all white, it might be all right.

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-14-2002).]

Originally posted by Lemonite:
\But Now.. it seems an Injun based Team has tried to turn the tables to infuriate the good ol' white man..

You're a dumb fuck.

Originally posted by mug222:
You're a dumb fuck.

Apparently you don't find this amusing, or creative, or well.. kinda neat.. nor did you understand the parody in the statement.

It's also good to see that Elvis' creed is being upheld with all its integrity.

L.Unplugged

If any of ya'll are interested in getting one of these shirts, the email address is posted at the Limbaugh homepage.. Just email them telling them you want a shirt and they'll give you the instructions..

'fightingwhites@hotmail.com'

Though you aren't deserving of an elaboration, Lemonite, I'll treat you with one anyway:

Coming from any other person on this board (seriously, anyone else)) I would accept that your post was satirical. Coming from you, however, I am more than certain that it is nothing but more of the racist and ignorant drivel that you've been spouting for months. You are the type of person I hate.

You are the type of person I hate.

I think you should write, you are the type of 'Interference Handle' I hate, as you don't even know who I am.. Anyways, You seem to mistake me entirely, but It's ok I've just blown over your head, we all miss things once in a while.. We're all entitled to our own opinions.

Oh, Ya did enjoy the article right?.. proly not.. We can't laugh at such things any more apparently?

L.Unplugged

If you weren't so bent on blasting people with insults who you perceive are disagreeing with you, you would have understood what I was talking about. And by the way, I did not disagree with you, just how you expressed yourself. I think it is "ignorant drivel" to resort to childish name-calling, i.e. "dumb fuck", and telling someone you don't even really know that you hate them. This is what I am referencing. Perhaps ironic is the word I should have used. It is incongruent to say you hate someone for being hateful, which prejudice or racist attitudes are...hateful. I really do not appreciate your condescending and yes, hateful, manner of getting your point across.

[This message has been edited by babble (edited 03-14-2002).]

Well,
I am a Greek-Irish-Indian American, so I can be pissed at the Redskins (how ironic of me to like the Cowboys), Notre Dame, and every College in America that has fraternitys.

But I choose not, with a good sense of humor and a reasonable mind.

People need to get over it, grow up and generally stop trying to bleed others for crap reasons.

I can understand where you're coming from, Babble, but perhaps you haven't been witness to many discussions with Lemonite. For months I've either remained silent or political, but I simply am not strong enough a man to accept it any further. He's completely intolerable--and this is not only because I disagree with every one of his beliefs. I don't apologize for lashing out at him.

Perhaps if they had called the name "The fighting Rednecks' and had the mascot as a one toothed...unshaved...overweight guy wearing a 'wife beater' t-shirt...people wouldn't be so honored!
smile.gif
Then maybe they would have gotten the point across...

You all should know something...a lot of these so-called Indians starting these things aren't really Indians. We call them wannabes. They fall in love with the Indian culture, invent an imaginary Indian grandmother and give themselves a name like 'morningstar' or whatever...and proclaim themselves an Indian

In NC a group of these people kept trying to drag the locale tribe into this stuff...the tribe kept saying it had more important things to worry about...like diabetes and how to keep the kids in school...and of course the group of wannabes got angry
rolleyes.gif

There are of course real Indians involved...usually young Indians. We all go through our 'angry' stage...which is perfectly acceptable...and they usually find positive ways to express their anger.

I have an Irish ancestress...I love Irish traditions and culture and Bono...but I would never start wearing green and suddenly proclaim myself Irish...I wish these people would be content with who they really are as well..

You're a dumb fuck.

Well said. And I'd type it too, but I AM only in high school, so I can't say such vulgar things...
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

Is anyone going to get one of the shirts?..

Apparently no one even feels this is funny... *SigH*.

Lilly, it seems you can give out sarcasm/satire but are unable to understand it... I'll have Zone order you one of those pies he's so famously been hocking.

The first thing you'll learn when you get to college in any business/ethics class is that the use of any expletive to label/emphasize a position or statement immediately discredits your argument.

It's sad to see you clouded at such a young age, with so much promise to fill.

Back to the Shirts...

It'd be money better spent than one of those one shoulder strap girl shirts or the lo-rise jean fad which is over, or even a South Park T Shirt.. hahaha..

Cheers,
L.Unplugged

Lemonite,

Try imagining the United States overrun by Middle Eastern Islamic Fundamentalists who throw down our government, kill off millions of us, erase regional and cultural differences, outlaw Christianity and Judaism, force us onto reservations, outlaw popular culture as we know it (no more rock 'n roll, movies or Law and Order) and then after 500 years or so of such treatment start naming their soccer teams The Fighting Christians or The Rednecks.

If you can't see where I'm coming from you're either an idiot or every bit the dumb **** that mug222 accused you of being.

MAP

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Lemonite,
MAP

MAP, as you wish to be addressed, Where is your point leading to me or anything I've ever said?... There was a post a while back where I said if the native Americans were against it in such force, Then there's no reason to keep teams labeled the 'Redskins' or 'Seminoles' or such.

I like the last editorial comment at the end, a nice touch, however, your post has no bearing on me as I've never come out Blazing Guns saying 'Oh the Redskins' should stay.. I won't add an editorial comment of my own characterizing your statement as ignorant, due to my own words being against having such 'Team Names' if it truly infuriates some specific groups.

Anyways, the point of my post is that when the tables are turned, and I'll go so far to say if it were the 'Farming Rednecks', There wouldn't be such the 'outrage' or the infuriation as expected.. In fact, just as this latest situation has unfolded, It would be laughed at and in a strange way 'embraced' by white people, cuz it was clever, funny, and original.

I do see where you're coming from, but you're talking to someone who shares your view on that one, so out of respect for Redundancy, I will spare posting the exact same thing to you.

L.Unplugged

HEY,
Hail To the Redskins! I'm sorry to hear Z-Edge is a Cowboy fan. Perhaps this year we will beat those Cowboys for the first time in Half a decade.
I find this debate similar to the Confederate flag debate in a vague way. But seriously, there are far more serious issue's then this. People in Israel would be shaking their heads if they saw this.

Originally posted by z edge:
Well,
I am a Greek-Irish-Indian American, so I can be pissed at the Redskins (how ironic of me to like the Cowboys), Notre Dame, and every College in America that has fraternitys.

But I choose not, with a good sense of humor and a reasonable mind.

People need to get over it, grow up and generally stop trying to bleed others for crap reasons.

You hit the nail on the head, fella!!
*Pats the cute puppy*
tongue.gif

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

Well tonight thank God it's them, instead of you...

Lemonite, you're missing my point. Until white America has faced hundreds of years of literal and cultural genocide the tables CAN'T be turned.
Is that so hard to understand?

MAP

Originally posted by STING2:
HEY,
Hail To the Redskins! I'm sorry to hear Z-Edge is a Cowboy fan. Perhaps this year we will beat those Cowboys for the first time in Half a decade.
I find this debate similar to the Confederate flag debate in a vague way. But seriously, there are far more serious issue's then this. People in Israel would be shaking their heads if they saw this.

LOL, Daniel Snyder might have a lot of $$$$$, but I don't think he can buy a Redskin victory over my BOYS
wink.gif

Frankly, I am scared of of Steve Spurrier
eek.gif

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Lemonite, you're missing my point. Until white America has faced hundreds of years of literal and cultural genocide the tables CAN'T be turned.
Is that so hard to understand?

MAP

MAP, Thank you for clearing up your position. No one ever said the tables 'CAN'T' be turned, just that the 'Fighting Whitie' attempt to turn them did not materialize as planned, but it does bring the issue more to the forefront than past efforts of various kinds. You're taking this on a whole different direction than my initial statement, but anyone that wants to discuss this further with MAP, feel free, but it has nothing to do with what I am posting. Point noted for the record.

L.Unplugged

Originally posted by Lemonite:

Lilly, it seems you can give out sarcasm/satire but are unable to understand it... I'll have Zone order you one of those pies he's so famously been hocking.

The first thing you'll learn when you get to college in any business/ethics class is that the use of any expletive to label/emphasize a position or statement immediately discredits your argument.

I don't think you understand sarcasm. Sarcasm is defined as irony intended to insult. Indeed I am a sarcastic person, I am quite able to handle sarcasm as well. This article is neither sarcasm nor satire. This article isn't really even supposed to be humorous, it's about the team who is trying to show white people what it's like to be descriminated against since we so rarely feel it. It is not sarcasm at all and I don't even see where you get satire out of it.

I fully understand the implications of using expletives in arguments. At this time, I chose to bring the consequences on because it pretty much summed up what I was thinking. And while it was an immature thought, I stand by it fully.

And what exactly is this supposed to mean anyway?

------------------

Originally posted by Lilly:
This article isn't really even supposed to be humorous, it's about the team who is trying to show white people what it's like to be descriminated against since we so rarely feel it.

Yes!! Hooray.. Hooray.. You've got it exactly. That is the whole point.. The whole deal with the team trying to 'turn the tables' was met with Cheers, Appreciation for their Cleverness and Acknowledgements of a strange sort of humor involved in the situation, because the general populus' take on the issue was not what was intended by the team. It's a sort of an Ironic Funny Situation. Bless you Lilly.

L. Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-15-2002).]

Apparently no one even feels this is funny... *SigH*.

So, when I said that the article ISN'T funny, and you said that was the point, what exactly did you mean by this comment? Satire? Sarcasm? 'Cos it's neither. So, you tell me, how do you take this as being funny?

And you still didn't explain this comment, so could you please?

------------------

No, the handle is perfectly fine (if a bit uninspired). I said exactly what I meant.

And the article...well, I'm afraid it's meaning flew over your head, as many things seem to--and please, this is not limited to a matter of political correctness, so don't reduce it to that.

The article states: Solomon Little Owl, director of the university's Native American Student Services and a member of the team [says] "We disagree with Native American caricatures in sports logos, but when we raise the issue, people say, 'Oh, it's not derogatory, it's meant to honor you.' So we decided to show them how it feels."

The Native Americans evidently did not appreciate the moniker the "Fightin' Reds," and attempted to prove a point. I refuse to see the humor in an entire town of whites demonstrating their appalling insensitivity. It's disgusting, actually.

You, like Greeley's whities, "don't seem to get it."

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 03-14-2002).]

Coming from you, however, I am more than certain that it is nothing but more of the racist and ignorant drivel that you've been spouting for months. You are the type of person I hate.

Am I the only one that sees the hypocrisy in this?

Cheers Mug222!

I actually saw a report about this on Fox Sports last night on Jim Rome's Show. I was the one who posted the orignal thread. I did my senior thesis on the subject in undergrad. It is too bad people don't get it. Cheers to the team trying to change opinions, to bad it has fallen on deaf ears.

Originally posted by zonelistener:

I actually saw a report about this on Fox Sports last night on Jim Rome's Show. I was the one who posted the orignal thread. I did my senior thesis on the subject in undergrad. It is too bad people don't get it. Cheers to the team trying to change opinions, to bad it has fallen on deaf ears.

Thank god, a voice of reason. I no longer have to carry on the good fight in solitude
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by mug222 (edited 03-14-2002).]

Originally posted by zonelistener:
Cheers Mug222!

It is too bad people don't get it. Cheers to the team trying to change opinions, to bad it has fallen on deaf ears.

Sooo.. What is it you want the 'Whitie' to do?.. Shit in our pants, while wringing our hands yelling.. 'Oh How Unfair' this is.. 'Oh How Could They Do That?'..

Like it has been posted in this forum before, Fans/Students/Irishmen themselves do not consistently put up a stink about Notre Dame being named the Fighting Irish, In fact, ND has nothing against being named the 'Fighting Irish', It's the political Correctness Gurus who raise the fuss,

So maybe the Whitie isn't offended to the point of legal action or Opening groups like the White Panthers, that doesn't mean the point has not gotten across. I'm saying I hear their point loud and clear in a different manner than the usual bylines in USA Today sports about the latest Redskin Suit, and I congratulate them on their clever and ingenius practice of going about an issue.

Buuuut.. Now if a White School were to drop out a 'Po' Boy' Team Mascot, to protest such names as the 'Fighting Irish' and others that Bubba referenced a while back, It would be yelled upon as Racist and A National Tragedy.

L.Unplugged

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom