Dove Campaign For Real Beauty - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:27 AM
Dove Campaign For Real Beauty

I'm sure most people have seen the Dove ads by now, w/ non-stick figured imperfect "real women". Of course those photos are still airbrushed, but at least they're making an effort

They have a web site

www.campaignforrealbeauty.com

This study is included on the web site

The Real Truth About Beauty: A Global Report uncovers startling information about how women physically perceive and define their look. Supporting the current and narrow definition of beauty, the respondents are hesitant to claim ownership of the word “beauty,” with more than 40 percent strongly agreeing that they do not feel comfortable describing themselves as beautiful.

Furthermore, only five percent feel comfortable describing themselves as pretty and a mere nine percent feel comfortable describing themselves as attractive. Additionally, just 13 percent of women say they are very satisfied with their beauty; 12 percent say they are very satisfied with their physical attractiveness; 17 percent are very satisfied with their facial attractiveness; and only 13 percent are very satisfied with their body weight and shape. In fact, in a society captivated by diet and makeover programs, a third of women around the world are very or somewhat dissatisfied with their body weight. The women of Japan have the highest levels of dissatisfaction at 59 percent - followed by Brazil (37%), United Kingdom (36%) and the United States (36%), Argentina (27%) and the Netherlands (25%).

Pop Culture's Beauty Mark

Having assessed how women think about as well as evaluate their own beauty and appearance, the study asks women about social issues emerging from mass media and pop culture. From Brazil to the Netherlands to Argentina - across cultures, ages, ethnicities and race - women make it clear they believe there is a one-dimensional and narrow, physical definition of beauty. The findings show that the ideas of beauty and physical attractiveness are largely synonymous, and although both are highly valued by society, both are rendered almost impossible to attain.

Respondents said they felt pressure to try and be that “perfect” picture of beauty:

*Sixty-three percent strongly agree that women today are expected to be more attractive than their mother's generation.

Sixty percent strongly agree that society expects women to enhance their physical attractiveness.

Forty-five percent of women feel women who are more beautiful have greater opportunities in life.

More than half (59%) strongly agree that physically attractive women are more valued by men.

The study explores the degree to which mass media has played a role in portraying and communicating a narrow definition of beauty:

*More than two-thirds (68%) of women strongly agree that “the media and advertising set an unrealistic standard of beauty that most women can't ever achieve.”

Well over half of all women (57%) strongly agree that “the attributes of female beauty have become very narrowly defined in today's world.”

Women around the World Unite

The traditional definition of beauty, based only on physical appearance, is powerfully communicated through the mass media and has been assimilated through popular culture. It is this ideal that many women measure themselves against and aspire to attain. However, women around the world would like to see media change in way it represents beauty.

For example, women feel they are surrounded and bombarded with images that are unrealistic:

The majority (76%) wish female beauty was portrayed in the media as being made up of more than just physical attractiveness.

Seventy-five percent went on to say that they wish the media did a better job of portraying women of diverse physical attractiveness, including age, shape and size.

The Real Truth About Beauty: A Global Report uncovers that women recognize beauty is more than just physical - it includes character, passion and presence. And, in order to influence a cultural shift in popular culture and mass media, it is necessary to come together and stake a claim to redefine beauty.

“What women in this study tell us is that a sense of legitimacy and respect is wrapped up with beauty in today's world. Whether this sentiment dismays or delights us, it poses a serious challenge,” says Orbach. “And it is this in the first instance: For the idea of beauty to become truly democratic and inclusive, then beauty itself must be revitalized to reflect women in their beauty as they really are rather than as portrayed in the current fictions that dominate our visual culture.”

Old 07-28-2005, 08:51 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM
I've seen that Finally someone has realized that not every woman in America is a flawless supermodel

Old 07-28-2005, 08:55 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:27 AM
A picture cannot capture a woman's real beauty. As we teach our daughter, beauty comes from within.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

This is revolutionary . . .
Old 07-28-2005, 09:04 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
A picture cannot capture a woman's real beauty
That is so true but the campaign is just trying to put out more realistic images. If you check out the web site they have more about beauty being from within.

Your daughter also might need to hear that her Dad thinks she's beautiful, I'm sure you tell her that all the time but I know how important it is to hear.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:19 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

That is so true but the campaign is just trying to put out more realistic images. If you check out the web site they have more about beauty being from within.

Your daughter also might need to hear that her Dad thinks she's beautiful, I'm sure you tell her that all the time but I know how important it is to hear.
Oh, she hears that as well. Just want to balance the idea of beauty, so that she doesn't become "looks obsessed".

This is a good campaign!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:27 AM

because many of us are beautiful because of the very attributes that are often deemed by the beauty industry to be flaws.

bonus points for pulling this campaign off in a non-patronizing way.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:53 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I love this.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Over here, it's the same campaign with local women - it's been well-received
Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #10
Refugee

There used to be a women's magazine, Mode, that catered to the average- and full-figured woman. The models they used were "plus-sized models", and they were very beautiful women who weren't stick-thin. It was a good magazine but alas, it has ceased publication: http://www.writenews.com/2001/092401...zine_cease.htm
Old 07-28-2005, 11:02 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Oh, she hears that as well. Just want to balance the idea of beauty, so that she doesn't become "looks obsessed".
That's great! I hope you don't think I was being rude or condescending to you..reading my post again it certainly sounded that way so I apologize. I tend to project my own issues when it comes to this subject.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:03 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I can always use the positive reminders
Old 07-28-2005, 11:10 AM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:27 AM
Old 07-28-2005, 12:20 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

This is the ad for anyone who hasn't seen it. I hope it's OK to have a picture of women in their underwear in FYM

This makes me want to buy their products..I saw the women on the Today Show and they're all beautiful.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:07 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:27 PM
That's really cool. It's about time someone stood up to this stupid social mentality about beauty.