Dove Campaign For Real Beauty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsSpringsteen

Blue Crack Addict
I'm sure most people have seen the Dove ads by now, w/ non-stick figured imperfect "real women". Of course those photos are still airbrushed, but at least they're making an effort

They have a web site

www.campaignforrealbeauty.com

This study is included on the web site

The Real Truth About Beauty: A Global Report uncovers startling information about how women physically perceive and define their look. Supporting the current and narrow definition of beauty, the respondents are hesitant to claim ownership of the word “beauty,” with more than 40 percent strongly agreeing that they do not feel comfortable describing themselves as beautiful.

Furthermore, only five percent feel comfortable describing themselves as pretty and a mere nine percent feel comfortable describing themselves as attractive. Additionally, just 13 percent of women say they are very satisfied with their beauty; 12 percent say they are very satisfied with their physical attractiveness; 17 percent are very satisfied with their facial attractiveness; and only 13 percent are very satisfied with their body weight and shape. In fact, in a society captivated by diet and makeover programs, a third of women around the world are very or somewhat dissatisfied with their body weight. The women of Japan have the highest levels of dissatisfaction at 59 percent - followed by Brazil (37%), United Kingdom (36%) and the United States (36%), Argentina (27%) and the Netherlands (25%).

Pop Culture's Beauty Mark

Having assessed how women think about as well as evaluate their own beauty and appearance, the study asks women about social issues emerging from mass media and pop culture. From Brazil to the Netherlands to Argentina - across cultures, ages, ethnicities and race - women make it clear they believe there is a one-dimensional and narrow, physical definition of beauty. The findings show that the ideas of beauty and physical attractiveness are largely synonymous, and although both are highly valued by society, both are rendered almost impossible to attain.

Respondents said they felt pressure to try and be that “perfect” picture of beauty:

­Sixty-three percent strongly agree that women today are expected to be more attractive than their mother's generation.

Sixty percent strongly agree that society expects women to enhance their physical attractiveness.

Forty-five percent of women feel women who are more beautiful have greater opportunities in life.

More than half (59%) strongly agree that physically attractive women are more valued by men.

The study explores the degree to which mass media has played a role in portraying and communicating a narrow definition of beauty:

­More than two-thirds (68%) of women strongly agree that “the media and advertising set an unrealistic standard of beauty that most women can't ever achieve.”

Well over half of all women (57%) strongly agree that “the attributes of female beauty have become very narrowly defined in today's world.”

Women around the World Unite

The traditional definition of beauty, based only on physical appearance, is powerfully communicated through the mass media and has been assimilated through popular culture. It is this ideal that many women measure themselves against and aspire to attain. However, women around the world would like to see media change in way it represents beauty.

For example, women feel they are surrounded and bombarded with images that are unrealistic:

The majority (76%) wish female beauty was portrayed in the media as being made up of more than just physical attractiveness.

Seventy-five percent went on to say that they wish the media did a better job of portraying women of diverse physical attractiveness, including age, shape and size.

The Real Truth About Beauty: A Global Report uncovers that women recognize beauty is more than just physical - it includes character, passion and presence. And, in order to influence a cultural shift in popular culture and mass media, it is necessary to come together and stake a claim to redefine beauty.

“What women in this study tell us is that a sense of legitimacy and respect is wrapped up with beauty in today's world. Whether this sentiment dismays or delights us, it poses a serious challenge,” says Orbach. “And it is this in the first instance: For the idea of beauty to become truly democratic and inclusive, then beauty itself must be revitalized to reflect women in their beauty as they really are rather than as portrayed in the current fictions that dominate our visual culture.”

nbcrusader said:
A picture cannot capture a woman's real beauty

That is so true :up: but the campaign is just trying to put out more realistic images. If you check out the web site they have more about beauty being from within. :)

Your daughter also might need to hear that her Dad thinks she's beautiful, I'm sure you tell her that all the time :) but I know how important it is to hear.

MrsSpringsteen said:

That is so true :up: but the campaign is just trying to put out more realistic images. If you check out the web site they have more about beauty being from within. :)

Your daughter also might need to hear that her Dad thinks she's beautiful, I'm sure you tell her that all the time :) but I know how important it is to hear.

Oh, she hears that as well. Just want to balance the idea of beauty, so that she doesn't become "looks obsessed".

This is a good campaign!

:up:

because many of us are beautiful because of the very attributes that are often deemed by the beauty industry to be flaws.

bonus points for pulling this campaign off in a non-patronizing way.

nbcrusader said:

Oh, she hears that as well. Just want to balance the idea of beauty, so that she doesn't become "looks obsessed".

That's great! I hope you don't think I was being rude or condescending to you..reading my post again it certainly sounded that way so I apologize. I tend to project my own issues when it comes to this subject.

This is the ad for anyone who hasn't seen it. I hope it's OK to have a picture of women in their underwear in FYM :wink:

This makes me want to buy their products..I saw the women on the Today Show and they're all beautiful.

145356225224.jpg

nbcrusader said:
A picture cannot capture a woman's real beauty. As we teach our daughter, beauty comes from within.

It might be a good idea to teach that to your son as well. :up:

I wholeheartedly support this, even though I still think it's not much more than a marketing scheme.

verte76 said:
It's about time someone stood up to this stupid social mentality about beauty.
indeed.

when these ads first started, i read about another study that said that only 2% of women worldwide consider themselves beautiful. when the responses were limited to north americans, the number dropped to 1%. can you imagine? 99% of the women out there are walking around feeling ugly because they don't look like a 90 pound supermodel.

and there's also the study in fiji: before american television was introduced in fiji, managing weight for the purposes of appearance was unheard of. in fact, in their language they had no equivalent word for 'fat' (ie. no derogatory word for physically large people). the word they did have, translated roughly into 'healthy fullness'. after amercian tv channels began airing in fiji, the number of women dieting, as well as the number of women with eating disorders, jumped up dramatically. :(

"For the idea of beauty to become truly democratic and inclusive, then beauty itself must be revitalized to reflect women in their beauty as they really are rather than as portrayed in the current fictions that dominate our visual culture.”

MrsSpringsteen said:
This is the ad for anyone who hasn't seen it. I hope it's OK to have a picture of women in their underwear in FYM :wink:

This makes me want to buy their products..I saw the women on the Today Show and they're all beautiful.

145356225224.jpg

OMG! The white lady! The one who is glowing...er, literally! She is as white as me! :applaud: I might be technically whiter though as my opalescent skin has a 'I'm really cold' purple tinge to it.

:(

This is great, though. The campaign and that advertisement. I'd buy their products for simply acknowledging that some people are so white they glow in the dark!

The girl second from right was a high school friend of one of my co-workers-apparently she still lives here in Fort WOrth.

As a guy, I have to say these women are just as beautiful as any "supermodel".

Angela Harlem said:

OMG! The white lady! The one who is glowing...er, literally! She is as white as me! :applaud: I might be technically whiter though as my opalescent skin has a 'I'm really cold' purple tinge to it.

:(

This is great, though. The campaign and that advertisement. I'd buy their products for simply acknowledging that some people are so white they glow in the dark!

Rock on pale ass white chicks! (Is one herself :D )

This is really great. :up: Also encouraging to see so many males posting with postive replies to this one.

a very good message.

i have been impressed by dove. while many brands venture down the socially conscious path, and some have previously done it along the 'beauty lies beneath the skin' angle, dove seems to have pulled it off with tact. we can only hope it is successful as only market success will encourage further marketing of this type.

nbcrusader said:
Just want to balance the idea of beauty, so that she doesn't become "looks obsessed".

Yes, exactly! As a parent, I could not agree with you more on this. One of the worst things a parent can do for his/her daughter is to dwell frequently on her appearance--EITHER positively or negatively. By doing so you reinforce the most damaging message of all, which is that a woman's physical beauty (or perceived lack of it) is an appropriate measure of her human worth.

Ultimately, it is not really our beauty ideals that are the problem--an "all-inclusive ideal" of beauty (or anything else) is a contradiction in terms, anyway. The problem begins when "less than ideal" becomes synonymous in our minds with "less worthy of bring loved, desired and respected."

has anyone found it a tad ironic that they are using a campaign celebrating the beauty of the "average" woman to pitch products to change the way women look?:eyebrow:

shrmn8rpoptart said:
has anyone found it a tad ironic that they are using a campaign celebrating the beauty of the "average" woman to pitch products to change the way women look?:eyebrow:

Dove is not a cosmetics brand, they sell soaps, face scrubs, lotions. These are products that don't change your appearance, just make you clean/mosturized.

Also, on a different point, what if they WERE a cosmetics brand and had these women in funky makeup? Would that be a problem? Wearing makeup doesn't constitute a lack of self esteem.

Lemonfix said:

Dove is not a cosmetics brand, they sell soaps, face scrubs, lotions. These are products that don't change your appearance, just make you clean/mosturized.

Also, on a different point, what if they WERE a cosmetics brand and had these women in funky makeup? Would that be a problem? Wearing makeup doesn't constitute a lack of self esteem.

This latest campaign is pitching Dove Firming Lotion, an anti-cellulite product, so in a way, I can see the contradiction. That said, I actually love this campaign and think that its a refreshing change from the usual ad. I am especially appreciative that they've used pale women and women with curly hair :D

Bono's American Wife said:

This latest campaign is pitching Dove Firming Lotion, an anti-cellulite product, so in a way, I can see the contradiction.

Oops, my bad, that is somewhat different. I just thought it was a general Dove ad.

A nice idea, but I see people twice their size on the street everyday. The obese and morbidly obese, even in the catalogs devoted to their clothing sizes, are not truly represented. We're willing to edge a little closer to reality, but not too far.

I suppose it's good...but this isn't out of the goodness of their heart. They did market research, and found that this would be effective with the 90% of women who aren't supermodels. I mean it's a good message and all, but they're just doing business.

Anyway, good for all you guys trying to teach your daughters to be comfortable with themselves, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work...my parents tried, and I'm still really self-conscious about my appearance. I hate my face, my hair, my shoulders. I'm 5'4" and 115 pounds, and I feel fat. Maybe it's just a teenage thing...whatever, thought I'd be honest. As much as I don't judge other people on looks, it's hard not to feel "ugly" it seems like.

:shrug:

VertigoGal said:
As much as I don't judge other people on looks, it's hard not to feel "ugly" it seems like.

:shrug:

We're an image conscious species, I think you'll find the most "beautiful" people often find themselves thinking they too need to change certain aspects of their appearance.

I think when it comes to our physical image it needs to be about health more than anything.

I think we have two extremes going on here in America. We have those that are starving themselves in order to be the skinniest they can be. But we also have many who are trying to make unhealthy obesity considered "normal".

I am naturally very "small boned", my family constantly accuses me of being too skinny, but if I were to add weight it would be very unhealthy. Everyone's body type is different. We need to educate ourselves as to what is best for our body type and lifestyle. Everyone's different, there is no diet that is safe for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom