Dove Campaign For Real Beauty - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2005, 12:10 PM   #76
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

Isn't obese something like when the person's BMI is at, or more than, 30%? Also, Marilyn Monroe was a size 14, let's just remember that, boys.

It really makes me feel like crap that some days when I walk out of the door I feel like I look pretty good, only to have that idea sideswiped when I see some anorexic-looking teenybopper (yes, I realize she may be naturally thin, but most of the time a lot of these girls look like they could use a cheeseburger) on the street next to me.

I could tell you that it's pretty much common knowledge that most Hollywood actresses are starving themselves, just by comparing pictures of them from five or so years ago to present day - Nicole Kidman used to have a bit more meat on her bones, as did Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox, Lindsay Lohan, etc. Watch an early episode of "Friends" and look at Rachel's arms. They go from healthy looking (not fat in the slightest) to being birdlike. It sickens me.

It sickens me too. Not only do these women starve themselves but they are mutilating their faces with Botox and collagen stuffed lips to the point where some female celebrities are beginning to look like expressionless wax figures. Its hideous and very, very sad.

I saw a teenage girl recently, 16 years old possibly, and she was bone thin, bleach blond hair, obvious breast implants, tanning bed skin, long artificial nails, mini-skirt up to her ass..the whole Paris Hilton look. She was pretty, no doubt, but I had to wonder if she focused on anything else in life but herself. At 16, everything about her outward appearance was altered or artificial. What is she going to think of herself in 10 or 20 years? Will she ever be happy with her appearance or will she continue to try and keep up with Hollywood standard of beauty?

A bit off topic I know, but it makes me sad when it starts so young.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:42 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:27 PM
Quote:

Also, Marilyn Monroe was a size 14, let's just remember that, boys.
But even this is discouraging b/c a size 14 then is only a size 6 now During her career, Marilyn weighed 118-140 lbs.

Which brings up another thing I HATE about today's fashion: SIZES!!! Ah, they're NEVER consistent between stores and even within stores!

Old 08-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

But even this is discouraging b/c a size 14 then is only a size 6 now During her career, Marilyn weighed 118-140 lbs.

Which brings up another thing I HATE about today's fashion: SIZES!!! Ah, they're NEVER consistent between stores and even within stores!

I was actually thinking that when I was posting it... I don't know of one woman who has just one size in her closet, since the stores are so nuts when it comes to sizing.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #79
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:27 PM
I know all about the sizing crap
Its so humiliating to think I wear one size and then have to go one or even 2 up to get my butt squeezed into a pair of pants
Old 08-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

I was actually thinking that when I was posting it... I don't know of one woman who has just one size in her closet, since the stores are so nuts when it comes to sizing.
I REALLY hate the stores that try to make you feel better by making things huge. I'm usually a size 8-10, but I go to some of the teeny-bopper stores like American Eagle and Aeropostale and have to try on 6s and even 4s and it's such a pain in the ass having to keep going back for a smaller size.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:07 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:27 PM
I had the exact opposite experience at A&F
Im normally a 6-8...and well. It didnt go that way
Old 08-03-2005, 01:22 PM   #82
Refugee

Local Time: 04:27 PM
Quote:

I've read several places that Marilyn today would be around a size 10, which to me sounds about right.

Responding to a different argument, I think we should be a bit less inclined to assume that a every skinny teenage girl has some kind of problem. In many cases the body of a teenager is still changing from girl to woman; sometimes the body grows taller before it matures in other areas; sometimes the breasts even grow before other areas do. Puberty is weird and often makes girls look pretty gangly for awhile. (I know from experience, let me tell you).

And unfortunatley, things like starving oneself or going to extremes for beauty is nothing new. While women like Marilyn were "in" in the post-war period, during the 20's and 30's a boyish shape was in vogue. It's just been recently that people have really begun to see the damage crash diets and starvation diets can do.

This doesn't take away the fact, however, that the average person in America (men and women) is getting larger and more unhealthy. Compare the average American with the average European you'll see a difference in size and in health, and it's something we need to address as a society, along with eating disorders.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Marilyn Monroe = disgusting

as far as I'm concerned......

edit- let me explain - I didn't like her persona or person. I don't know her, so I can't pass much judgement. But from what little I do know, I never really found her attractive. Maybe she had a decent body, but I never even paid attention.

Just... not my type of girl, it doesn't seem
Old 08-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

And even me, as a guy, I will second that.

People always ask what size shirt, or shoe size. And I can't really give them an answer, becasue it is always so different ate every location and for every brand. Even in the same brand of shoe, I have worn different numbered sizes depending on the style.....

We need a 'metric system for clothes' here in the US...........
Old 08-03-2005, 04:00 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonfix
Responding to a different argument, I think we should be a bit less inclined to assume that a every skinny teenage girl has some kind of problem. In many cases the body of a teenager is still changing from girl to woman; sometimes the body grows taller before it matures in other areas; sometimes the breasts even grow before other areas do. Puberty is weird and often makes girls look pretty gangly for awhile. (I know from experience, let me tell you).
. Thank you. People have made comments about my weight before, thinking I don't eat or something. I do (I actually eat quite a lot of junk food), but yet my body just looks the way it does anyway-I'm just scrawny. I'd like to gain a bit more weight, though, so comments like that could stop.

But yeah, that's definitely something else to consider, too.

Angela