Double Standard? Where Are The Men Who Are "Too Angry"? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
People don't like angry women, they don't mind angry men
In general I have to agree with that. I also find it interesting that Ken Mehlman gives this whole spiel about voters not liking "angry" politicians, meanwhile the Republican President we currently have sure seems "angry" to me. His policies and personal manner certainly aren't soft and cuddly by any stretch of the imagination, but maybe since he's a guy and can couch himself in that "aw shucks" manner he gets by and people think it's "macho" .

I don't like everything about Hillary Clinton either but there's no doubt in my mind that plenty of people, men and women, judge her by a double standard. "Angry" in this instance can be a code word.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:21 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

A nice man is gay. An angry woman is a lesbian. Such is the circle of the hetero mindset.

Melon

Old 02-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:21 AM
Al Gore took the stage in 2000 raging about how he would fight for the American people.

He lost.

Howard Dean jumped on-stage and raged. His violent mood swings were well-documented.

He lost.

On the other hand, Clinton's temper was well-documented. However, he was one of our more popular modern-day presidents.

What we may see is that if people are fairly well-rounded in their personality types, they stand a better chance of getting ahead. Bill, for all his anger (a great book, The Survivor, analyzes his presidency), was a consensus-builder who reached across aisles and is generally regarded as our smartest modern president.

HRC, on the other hand, seems primarily opportunistic in nature. This may hamper her abilities long-term. (The Survivor compares HRC's ideological stance with Bill's pragmatic one -- a key factor in his success as a president vs. her failures with health care.)
Old 02-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nathan1977
HRC, on the other hand, seems primarily opportunistic in nature. This may hamper her abilities long-term. (The Survivor compares HRC's ideological stance with Bill's pragmatic one -- a key factor in his success as a president vs. her failures with health care.)
Honestly, I really became convinced of Hillary's "opportunism" when she became a sudden supporter of an anti-flag burning amendment out of the middle of nowhere. I mean, come on. When you vote for a Democrat, are you expecting a conservative?

If I were living in NY, I'd probably vote for her reelection, but I'd also strongly discourage her from ever running for president. Still, considering the kind of paleolithic knuckle draggers that run the Republican Party, it would take quite a lot for me to ever vote Republican.

Melon
Old 02-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:21 PM
Mark Latham - another self described hater - lost and then burned out spectacularly.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

If I were living in NY, I'd probably vote for her reelection, but I'd also strongly discourage her from ever running for president. Still, considering the kind of paleolithic knuckle draggers that run the Republican Party, it would take quite a lot for me to ever vote Republican.

The Senate seems to be a good match for her. She seems to work better when she's forced to play nicely with others. I'm not sure that she'd be effective as (essentially) a figurehead.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:21 AM
My absolute favorite description of women who "usurp" what some men deem as their exclusive territory is "unnatural". as if women should be interchangeable, but men are not. I've generally found the more secure the man, the less paranoid, the more he is capable of defining a woman by her own terms rather than his. the same way he expects and should expect to be able to define himself.

And to be fair, a lot of women are immensely guilty of sabotaging other women with the same type of derisive language.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:38 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint
I've generally found the more secure the man, the less paranoid, the more he is capable of defining a woman by her own terms rather than his. the same way he expects and should expect to be able to define himself
I agree, and I agree about the women being guilty as well

This is an interesting side note

The state of Bill and Hillary Clinton's union is apparently strong - at least judging by the mongo diamond that Hillary was sporting on her ring finger yesterday.

Sources say the former President quietly gave the iceberg-sized bling - thought to exceed 3 carats - to his wife months ago, in advance of their 30th wedding anniversary on Oct. 11 last year.

But the sparkling stunner is so big that the former First Lady has been nervous about wearing it and hasn't broken it out of her jewelry box on a regular basis until recently.

The big bauble was on full display yesterday, when the junior senator visited University Settlement, an outreach center on the lower East Side, to talk about cuts to early childhood education proposed by President Bush.

"It was a gift from her husband," was all Clinton spokeswoman Jennifer Hanley would say.

sounds nice
Old 02-07-2006, 09:41 AM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
"It was a gift from her husband," was all Clinton spokeswoman Jennifer Hanley would say.

and you know how Fox News will spin this ... "did Hillary catch Bill in the act again? is there a new Monica in his life? can the former president ever stop cheating on his wife? is that why she's spoting a massive new ring? will special interests be able to buy Hillary's loyalty the way Bill does? find out when we come back ..."
Old 02-07-2006, 09:44 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

or she's really angry that it wasn't 6 carats, that greedy bitch..she really has him by the balls

Old 02-07-2006, 11:23 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

I want to see that diamond. Maybe I should watch some TV news.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

now some people are even doctoring photos

http://www.politicalcortex.com/story.../5/114324/5942

or not

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/hoax/w..._photoshopped/
Old 02-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
and you know how Fox News will spin this ... "did Hillary catch Bill in the act again? is there a new Monica in his life? can the former president ever stop cheating on his wife? is that why she's spoting a massive new ring? will special interests be able to buy Hillary's loyalty the way Bill does? find out when we come back ..."
Kobe's wife got 6 carats after he got caught