Dorothy, Toto and Darwin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Muggsy,

It is not a problem in our Catholic schools, only in our public schools.

I will try to explain.

In America, many Christian parents do not want their children taught the theory of evolution, especially the part that man and monkeys may have evolved from a common ancestor.

The parents believe this will cause the children not to believe the Bible.

Muggsy said:
I need you to explain me why do you discuss about this topic... I mean, I know that there's a conflict among the theories of live and evolution, but I don't know why is so important for you...

I'm asking you this cuz I'm not from the USA and I don't understand what is important for you about that topic. I was educated in a catholic school and I learned about darwin too, but we never discussed the diferences between the christian vision of life and the cientific research about the origin of it.

Because there are nutjobs here (in the US, not necessarily in FYM) who want creationism/intelligent design taught in public schools as science, which it is not. Our science education sucks enough already without adding this drivel.

Last edited:
Muggsy said:
I'm asking you this cuz I'm not from the USA and I don't understand what is important for you about that topic. I was educated in a catholic school and I learned about darwin too, but we never discussed the diferences between the christian vision of life and the cientific research about the origin of it.

Roman Catholicism, actually, believes that evolution is compatible with faith, as long as you believe that God controls science. Now I don't think they go as far as those "intelligent design" folk do. They never mounted an outright campaign against "natural selection"; I guess the Catholic philosophy is that "natural selection" was guided by God in indescribable methods and there's no need to attempt to describe it. ID folk, on the other hand, attempt to directly connect God to evolution and force it to be "describable." That's my objection with so-called "intelligent design."

If only Catholicism was this enlightened with other subjects. :p

Melon

Muggsy said:
I need you to explain me why do you discuss about this topic... I mean, I know that there's a conflict among the theories of live and evolution, but I don't know why is so important for you...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/05/05/evolution.hearings.reut/index.html

Evolution hearings open in Kansas
Thursday, May 5, 2005 Posted: 4:05 PM EDT (2005 GMT)

TOPEKA, Kansas (Reuters) -- A six-day courtroom-style debate opened Thursday in Kansas over what children should be taught in schools about the origin of life -- was it natural evolution or did God create the world?

The hearings, complete with opposing attorneys and a long list of witnesses, were arranged amid efforts by some Christian groups in Kansas and nationally to reverse the domination of evolutionary theory in the nation's schools.

William Harris, a medical researcher and co-founder of a Kansas group called the Intelligent Design Network, posed the core question about life's beginnings before mapping out why he and other Christians want changes in school curriculum.

School science classes are teaching children that life evolved naturally and randomly, Harris said, arguing that this was in conflict with Biblical teachings that God created life.

"They are offering an answer that may be in conflict with religious views," Harris said in opening the debate. "Part of our overall goal is to remove the bias against religion that is currently in schools. This is a scientific controversy that has powerful religious implications."

Conservative groups are trying to convince state education officials to change guidelines for how evolution theory is taught in science classes at a time when Kansas education authorities are producing new science teaching guidelines.

The hearings -- organized by a committee of the Kansas Board of Education -- were taking place 80 years after the so-called "Monkey Trial" of John Scopes, a Tennessee biology teacher who was found guilty of illegally teaching evolution.

There is renewed debate over evolution in more than a dozen states and a resurgence across the nation in the influence of religious conservatives, who played an important part in the reelection of Republican President Bush last year.

Teachers and preachers
The Kansas hearing drew a large crowd that included students, teachers and preachers. National and local scientific leaders for the most part boycotted the event.

Pedro Irigonegaray, a lawyer defending evolution in the debate, said he planned to call no witnesses, though he did cross-examine witnesses, sometimes combatively.

Harris acknowledged under questioning that there were many people who saw no incompatibility between religious beliefs that God created life and evolutionary teachings about how life evolved through natural processes.

Outside the hearing room, outraged scientists challenged the validity of the hearings. "This is a showcase trial," said Jack Krebs, vice president for Kansas Citizens for Science. "They have hijacked science and education."

Ken Schmitz, a University of Missouri/Kansas City chemistry professor attending the hearing said he worried that the attack on evolution could confuse students and endanger their ability to excel in science.

"They are not going to understand this," said Schmitz.

Changes to the curriculum proposed by the conservatives would not require inclusion of Biblical beliefs in science classes, also called "creationism" -- the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1987 that creationism could not be taught in public schools alongside evolution.

But they would involve questioning the principles of evolution as explanations for the origins of life, the universe and the genetic code. As well, teachers would be encouraged to discuss with students "alternative explanations."

Kansas has been struggling with the issue for years, capturing worldwide attention in 1999 when the state school board voted to downplay Charles Darwin's theory of evolution in science classes.

Subsequent elections altered the membership of the board and led to renewed backing for evolution instruction in 2001. But elections last year gave conservatives a 6-4 majority and the board is now producing new science teaching guidelines.

"They are offering an answer that may be in conflict with religious views," Harris said in opening the debate. "Part of our overall goal is to remove the bias against religion that is currently in schools. This is a scientific controversy that has powerful religious implications."

i'm sorry, but this is the biggest load of bullshit i've ever heard. quite simply: creationism has no basis in scientific fact. period. there's nothing to support it scientifically. if this is perceived as a threat to religion, then this individual needs to seriously re-think his religious beliefs, since they appear to be so weak that they can't stand their groud against things like science and fact.

yes, Christians as victims. how ironic is that?

I agree, Irvine. Creationism shouldn't be taught in the schools. Period. It's a religious doctrine. I have no problems with religious doctrines at all, but they shouldn't be taught in the schools. Our public schools are supposed to be secular. We have parochial schools for parents who want to send their kids to have a certain kind of religious instruction.

Irvine511 said:
"They are offering an answer that may be in conflict with religious views," Harris said in opening the debate. "Part of our overall goal is to remove the bias against religion that is currently in schools. This is a scientific controversy that has powerful religious implications

It's "science class," not "religion class"!

God, these morons make me so angry at times. :banghead:

Melon

The idea of creationism in science class upsets me greatly. I mean, why even have a biology class at all? I'm taking it this year (sophomore), and I don't think we've done anything that doesn't have its basis at least somewhat in evolution. I can't imagine walking into class and being handed a Bible. :crack:

Okay, nothing deep/profound or scientific/intellectual to say. Carry on...

I think the whole issue is misplaced. I think if Christian parents whose children go to public schools and learn evolution should teach their own children at home about creationism. If they are strong in thier faith they should have no problem in explaining to thier children what thier beliefs are. Its not the schools responsibilty it is the parents. If parents aren't willing to this then they shouldn't complain about what is taught in school. (By the way my wife and I homeschool our kids because we wan to be responsible for what our kids learn, but everyone is does things their own way)

madroseka said:
I think the whole issue is misplaced. I think if Christian parents whose children go to public schools and learn evolution should teach their own children at home about creationism. If they are strong in thier faith they should have no problem in explaining to thier children what thier beliefs are. Its not the schools responsibilty it is the parents. If parents aren't willing to this then they shouldn't complain about what is taught in school. (By the way my wife and I homeschool our kids because we wan to be responsible for what our kids learn, but everyone is does things their own way)
I agree 100%.

Back
Top Bottom