Doonesbury's Trudeau Uses Racial Slur For Nat'l Security Advisor Rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nbcrusader said:
I thought this thread was about using a racial slur to describe her.

The whole liberal - conservative thing started as a comparisson of the uproar if the term was used to describe a liberal African American official
No it turned that way when someone made a completely asinine statement saying if she were a black liberal that the American people wouldn't want to investigate this issue.

verte76 said:
That assumption isn't true. I was simply getting suspicious about the whole "executive privilege" deal.

I'm a little confused...:huh:

The comment I made was no reference to anything you said. Sorry if that's what you thought.

well this thread did go off the original topic (how strange for a FYM thread to do that!:wink:)... but back to the topic at hand

charles barkley said in his book that the reason why there aren't any black leaders anymore is because anyone who makes something of themselves, with the exception of athletes and rappers, is considered an "uncle tom" and put down by the black community. you can deffinetly see this in how mrs. rice is treated in the black community. it's a load of crap. she's an intelligent woman, wether you agree with her or not. just because she's a republican doesn't make her an "uncle tom."

that's kinda on topic... but not really... so... umm... yea... i don't think this doonsbury is racist. is the rolling stones song racist? i guess some people would think so... spike lee considers the movie hoosiers to be racist because the white team beats the black team in the end. :shrug: everything is something to somebody.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
well this thread did go off the original topic (how strange for a FYM thread to do that!:wink:)... but back to the topic at hand

charles barkley said in his book that the reason why there aren't any black leaders anymore is because anyone who makes something of themselves, with the exception of athletes and rappers, is considered an "uncle tom" and put down by the black community. you can deffinetly see this in how mrs. rice is treated in the black community. it's a load of crap. she's an intelligent woman, wether you agree with her or not. just because she's a republican doesn't make her an "uncle tom."

that's kinda on topic... but not really... so... umm... yea... i don't think this doonsbury is racist. is the rolling stones song racist? i guess some people would think so... spike lee considers the movie hoosiers to be racist because the white team beats the black team in the end. :shrug: everything is something to somebody.

:up:

I don't think the Doonsbury comment should be considered "racist" either...if someone were to actually call a black woman "brown sugar" in the workplace, it would probably be considered sexual harrasement.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm a little confused...:huh:

The comment I made was no reference to anything you said. Sorry if that's what you thought.

Sorry. I haven't read all of the notes in the thread so I don't know who made the statement about Rice being under fire for being an African-American conservative. I was disagreeing with this, I thought she should testify because the Administration's use of "executive privilege" made me suspicious. I remember reading that it was Nixon's use of "executive privilege" more than anything else that poisoned the political atmosphere during the Watergate fiasco.

I still think the Doonesbury cartoon was making fun of how Dubya gives all his staffers stupid nicknames, and had nothing to do with Rice herself.

That said, disagreeing with someone's political beliefs is no reason to call them an "Uncle Tom."

Now, can we get this thread back on track? It's probably been a couple of weeks since I closed a thread, and I'm getting itchy... ;)

paxetaurora said:
I still think the Doonesbury cartoon was making fun of how Dubya gives all his staffers stupid nicknames, and had nothing to do with Rice herself.
That said, disagreeing with someone's political beliefs is no reason to call them an "Uncle Tom."

It may be a spoof of Dubya's habit of giving his staff nicknames and has nothing to do with Condi. I also agree that calling anyone "Uncle Tom" because you don't agree with their honest beliefs is really disgusting. Condi's a smart cookie, and she has a right to her opinions.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No it turned that way when someone made a completely asinine statement saying if she were a black liberal that the American people wouldn't want to investigate this issue.

:scream: :banghead: Oh GOOD GOD! Give it a rest people! I already took it back and reposted my post without it. But I do think the move is politically motivated in an election year, and that's what I meant to get at.

I HATE 'liberals' who claim to be so 'open minded' and 'fair' who jump all over you violently as soon as you say something that doesn't agree with them. Where is Ft. Worth Frog when you need him? He seems to be the only person here who can see that hypocrisy.

I mostly agree with Headache's list, too. There is much blame, yet there is no blame because as the old cliche' goes, hindsight is always 20/20.

For example, how in the 80's while Reagan supplied Iraq with stuff to fight Iran (who was at the time our enemy) that years later Iraq would turn on us? It's the same thing with the Afghanis vs. Russians. Who would have thought in time the Russians, the evil empire, would 'turn nice' and be our friends while Afghanistan would be a threat?! :huh: It all boils down to, you just never know. You can hope you're doing the right thing and you usually end up wrong. :sigh:

And isn't the 'Uncle Tom' comment offensive, and labeling a black conservative? Why not call them 'assinine' for doing that? :rolleyes:

Lilac said:

For example, how in the 80's while Reagan supplied Iraq with stuff to fight Iran (who was at the time our enemy) that years later Iraq would turn on us? It's the same thing with the Afghanis vs. Russians. Who would have thought in time the Russians, the evil empire, would 'turn nice' and be our friends while Afghanistan would be a threat?! :huh: It all boils down to, you just never know. You can hope you're doing the right thing and you usually end up wrong. :sigh:

Let's save this one for posterity shall we? :rolleyes: Let me go out on a limb here and predict that this mess in Iraq will turn around and bite us on the ass in about ten years. Hell, I'll even say five years. Or maybe a month.

Certain members of the "liberal" press were warning of problems with the Iran/Iraq mess way back in the 80s, trust me. And many, many people knew that Afganistan would be a problem spot for us when we were arming the rebels fighting the Russians. The problem was that people like you call those papers and magazines "liberal" and you don't bother to read them.

And yes you DO know. You "just know." The problem is hiring people for the administration who parrot back what it wants to hear.

Lilac said:

:scream: :banghead: Oh GOOD GOD! Give it a rest people! I already took it back and reposted my post without it. But I do think the move is politically motivated in an election year, and that's what I meant to get at.

I HATE 'liberals' who claim to be so 'open minded' and 'fair' who jump all over you violently as soon as you say something that doesn't agree with them. Where is Ft. Worth Frog when you need him? He seems to be the only person here who can see that hypocrisy.

First of all I didn't see you take back anything, I still see your post there and I never saw anything with you saying you're sorry you made that generalization. Secondly no one "jump all over you violently" because you said something we disagree with. You made a very judgemental blanket statement. It wasn't your opinion I had a problem with it was your attack. So maybe you should check your own post for hypocrisy before you start lashing out at liberals.

And isn't the 'Uncle Tom' comment offensive, and labeling a black conservative? Why not call them 'assinine' for doing that?

If you read my post I disagreed with that as well.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

First of all I didn't see you take back anything, I still see your post there and I never saw anything with you saying you're sorry you made that generalization. Secondly no one "jump all over you violently" because you said something we disagree with. You made a very judgemental blanket statement. It wasn't your opinion I had a problem with it was your attack. So maybe you should check your own post for hypocrisy before you start lashing out at liberals.

Well, I did repost my entire post minus the controversial part in bold letters and said, "here is my post again without the controversial stuff" It was too late to edit. But what I said was completely jumped on and taken the wrong way. What I meant was it was a political move, and if Democrats had been in office this might not be so much of an issue. They are trying to fry Bush and anyone associated with him and you know it.

And I will continue to 'lash out at liberals' who lash out at me. You and a few other liberals here are more obnixious, pushy, "I'm-always-right" and self righteous than anyone I've ever seen in the much hated and much dreaded by you 'religious right.'

Originally posted by Martha
Certain members of the "liberal" press were warning of problems with the Iran/Iraq mess way back in the 80s, trust me. And many, many people knew that Afganistan would be a problem spot for us when we were arming the rebels fighting the Russians. The problem was that people like you call those papers and magazines "liberal" and you don't bother to read them.
]/B]

Oh yes forgive me and excuse me :tsk: I forgot, all liberals are perfect, all knowing and psychic. :yawn: If we listen to them this world would be a paradise :happy:

The mods asked us not to use the comment 'people like you.' :grumpy:

Keep it up, shout down and insult everyone who disagrees with you and when they're all gone (if there are any left) you can have a party where you are always right!

Until this thread I was completely undecided on what to do this election. I don't think any of the candidates are worthy so it makes no difference to me who wins. But thanks to pushy self righteous liberals I have decided that there is no way I can get the best of you in a post, but I can do the worst possible thing I could to you by voting George W. Bush for president! :up: :lmao:

Lilac said:

Oh yes forgive me and excuse me :tsk: I forgot, all liberals are perfect, all knowing and psychic. :yawn: If we listen to them this world would be a paradise :happy:

First you claim that no one could have known what would happen when the United States made questionable alliances. Then when I point out that several news outlets did indeed have information that the alliances were not all they seemed to be, you get all cutesy and avoid the issue.

A common mistake among conservatives. :tsk:

Your profile doesn't mention your age, but by the structure of your posts and the way you get defensive when people call you on what you say, and your avoidance of the issues you yourself bring up, I suspect you're not as old as you'd like us to think you are. Your over use of the word "liberal" as a perjorative indicates that you may have been frightened by a liberal when you were a child. That's too bad.

Lilac said:

Until this thread I was completely undecided on what to do this election. I don't think any of the candidates are worthy so it makes no difference to me who wins. But thanks to pushy self righteous liberals I have decided that there is no way I can get the best of you in a post, but I can do the worst possible thing I could to you by voting George W. Bush for president! :up: :lmao:

For goodness sake, please tell me this is a joke. I can't believe anyone would take their right to vote and use it as a tool to "get the best of" people you disagree with on on message board.

Lilac said:

Well, I did repost my entire post minus the controversial part in bold letters and said, "here is my post again without the controversial stuff" It was too late to edit. But what I said was completely jumped on and taken the wrong way. What I meant was it was a political move, and if Democrats had been in office this might not be so much of an issue. They are trying to fry Bush and anyone associated with him and you know it.

Reposting and taking out a certain section without explanation did not come off as a move to take anything you said back. And if you honestly believe that if another party was in the White House the American people wouldn't want an investigation into if 3,000 lives could have been saved then I feel sorry for you. I guess if you are a liberal we will only attack you if you have an affiar and if you are a conservative we will attack you when lives were at stake...makes sence.

Lilac said:

And I will continue to 'lash out at liberals' who lash out at me. You and a few other liberals here are more obnixious, pushy, "I'm-always-right" and self righteous than anyone I've ever seen in the much hated and much dreaded by you 'religious right.'
This is the first time I've ever really responded to anything you've written and only because it was completely ridiculous. You keep trying to twist this into an argument of opinion, that's not what this was about. If this was a matter of political opinion then I would respect your view while still debating it. But what you said was uncalled for. But honestly you won't have to worry about it again, I'll ignore all your future posts if this is how it's going to be.

Lilac said:

:|

:lmao:

Today's Doonsbury comic had Bush, who is drawn only as an empty Roman general's helmet, call Clarke 'Lil Judas'. Will this bring on another spate of ugliness in FYM? Trudeau has commented on the state of American politics for decades with great wit. I for one appreciate his pointed humor. And I don't believe for a minute that his use of 'brown sugar' was meant as a racial slur. There's a reason his comic isn't found in the 'funny pages', it's meant for adults. Let's act them, eh?

Last edited:
Nice post najeena :)

I think this topic is done now though. It was a straight forward request to keep it on topic, which it seems very few have done since it was asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom