Doonesbury's Trudeau Uses Racial Slur For Nat'l Security Advisor Rice - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2004, 11:27 AM   #46
The Fly

Local Time: 06:51 PM
crys

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
I'm talking about blaming PC for not being able to spew their bigotted bullshit.

But feel free to give me an example of what you're talking about.
Excuse me, but I have no 'rascist bullshit' to 'spew.'

What I'm talking about is that I believe the US gov't was powerless to act against reports of large numbers of suspicious young Arab males in flight schools because society has become so touchy touchy and ready to accuse racism (like you just did) that there was nothing they could do to stop them. Any attempt to take them in, deport them, oust them from the flight school or arrest them would only have been called racism, racial stereotyping, and violating human rights. So they knew it, but they could not act, because of 'PCness.' A pre- 9-11 roundup or ousting of young Arab males in flight schools would only have been called a witch hunt and people like you would have been outraged and knocked the administration. So they were powerless to act on the evidence, so don't blame them now.

Old 04-09-2004, 11:35 AM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:51 PM
They could still have followed them, tracked their origins and connections and get a hold of their plans. Those actions are done out of sight of the public, so there would have been no public outcry. Since they didn't it appears they didn't know about it, or they knew but brushed it away. In any way, it did not make them powerless.

Marty

Old 04-09-2004, 11:42 AM   #48
She's the One

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lilac

What I'm talking about is that I believe the US gov't was powerless to act against reports of large numbers of suspicious young Arab males in flight schools because society has become so touchy touchy and ready to accuse racism (like you just did) that there was nothing they could do to stop them. Any attempt to take them in, deport them, oust them from the flight school or arrest them would only have been called racism, racial stereotyping, and violating human rights. So they knew it, but they could not act, because of 'PCness.' A pre- 9-11 roundup or ousting of young Arab males in flight schools would only have been called a witch hunt and people like you would have been outraged and knocked the administration. So they were powerless to act on the evidence, so don't blame them now.
Thanks for making my point.
Old 04-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #49
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:51 AM
Lets not make assumptions about people in here guys. It doesn't look like either of the above posts got through the message they were trying for.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:05 PM   #50
The Fly

crys

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Thanks for making my point.
Oh good God woman

If you are going to call me a racist spewer just for pointing out that basic fact, surely you can understand how there is nothing the gov't could have done to stop the those guys without being called a racist.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:05 PM   #51
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:51 AM
i think we need to stop blaming the bush administration and the clinton administration for 9/11 and start putting the blame back on the bin laden administration...

it's obvious that EVERYONE made mistakes... so can we stop playing the friggin blame game and continue trying to fix what did go wrong and attempt to stop it from happening again? jeez. trying to find one person to pin all of this on is useless. hundreds... thousands of government officials going back even before clinton or bush 1 dropped the ball as far as international terrorism is concerned...

if a sports team loses a big game on a bad call by the ref in the final minute, it's easy to blame the entire thing on the ref. but in reality, there were countless of missed opportunities that everyone on the team didn't capitalize on that would have changed the outcome of the game. bad teams stick with blaming the ref... good teams work fix what the team as a collective did wrong and make sure they aren't put in that same position again.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:15 PM   #52
The Fly

That's right, I was thinking of the sports analogy too. I hate to see a coach fired when his team's failure was a result of many people, and not intentional on anyone's part.

I do not blame the administrations, for all the reasons I already listed. It was a tragic case of 'shit happens' and let's learn from it and not let it happen again. But pointing fingers about the past does no good and solves nothing. No one did anything on purpose. Well, except the terrorists.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:19 PM   #53
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:51 AM

Ok, last chance for this thread. Lilac please stop and consider how your posts might be taken. Terms such as "people like you" is not going to endear anyone or incline them to listen. Martha likewise, giving implications that someone's views are racist and hate filled can't be determined from a couple of posts. I'd be surprised if neither of you felt a little bit misunderstood about this.

Lets all keep a little respect ok?

It's free.
Old 04-09-2004, 12:29 PM   #54
you are what you is

well, I am never interested in blame

but in politics - especially in a democracy where we have elected officials - we should always try to establish whether our politicians did the job they were supposed to do

there is nothing strange about that
it would be strange if that wasn't investigated really
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-09-2004, 12:48 PM   #55
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:51 AM
investigation is fine... but it's turned into a witch hunt looking for who of the hundreds of people at fault was the most at fault. it's dumb. i mean who can we blame?

--the flight school instructers for not being "racial profilers" and thinking that a lot of arab men taking flight training was suspicious.
--the airport staffers in bangor, boston and newark who let men with box cutters slip past them and onto the planes
--the developers of the world trade center for not taking a catastrophe like this into account when designing the buildings
-- the designers of the FDNY radios that didn't work properly inside the buildings, delaying the evacuation
--whoever made the announcement that "it was safe to return to work in tower 2" moments after tower 1 was struck instead of immediately evacuating the building
--richard clarke for not going over his superior's heads and going public with his worries before 9/11, rather than waiting till when he had a million dollar book deal to disclose his information
--bush 1 for aiding kuwait and leaving troops in saudi arabia, fueling bin laden's hatred for america.
--clinton for not doing more militarily to go after bin laden
--the right wingers and the press for accusing clinton of "wagging the dog" when he lobbed a few tomahawks.
--the fbi and cia's childish behavior, trying to out due the other, thus not sharing vital information
--the reagan administration for supplying weaponry and logistical help to afghanistan durring their fight with the soviets.
--the legal stench of constant trivial law suits that have made both business and governemnt extremelly touchy over anything that might be even remotely racist... such as claiming that "young arab men taking flight training" must be terrorists.
--the moronic practice that allowed knifes smaller than 4 inches to be carried onto airplanes.
--the german government for not being aware that ramzi binsballah and mohammed atta were living, plotting and recruiting in hamburg.

i could go on and on and on... but it's useless. EVERYONE was to blame... and yes, it is important to make sure we know everything that did go wrong... but trying to find one thing or person to blame is impossiable... because there ISN'T one thing.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:29 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:51 PM
I agree with you headache. I don't think there's any way any Given Person X could have prevented 9/11. A whole slew of people are blaming Saudi Arabia since so many of the terrorists were natives of that country; however, bin Laden was stripped of his Saudi citizenship in 1994. Some people are even claiming we should have attacked Saudi Arabia and not Afghanistan. This is ridiculous.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:38 PM   #57
you are what you is

well yes, that is ridiculous

but in this thread I've even read that the only reason Rice was questioned at all is because she a black conservative

it's our duty to question those who represent us when they haven't been able to accomplish what we expect them to do
otherwise we should just remove the word "democratic" from our dictionary
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 04-09-2004, 10:12 PM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
well yes, that is ridiculous

but in this thread I've even read that the only reason Rice was questioned at all is because she a black conservative

it's our duty to question those who represent us when they haven't been able to accomplish what we expect them to do
otherwise we should just remove the word "democratic" from our dictionary
That's right, these people are supposed to work for us. We are supposed to question them. If we can't do that then we don't have any business even claiming that we believe in democracy. The reason Rice was questioned is because she is supposed to work for us, and we have the right to know what the government is doing. To me it should have had nothing to do with her being a black conservative.
Old 04-09-2004, 10:21 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:51 AM
I thought this thread was about using a racial slur to describe her.

The whole liberal - conservative thing started as a comparisson of the uproar if the term was used to describe a liberal African American official
Old 04-09-2004, 10:32 PM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

I don't think they should have used the word to refer to a liberal or a conservative African-American. Some people weren't sure what Trudeau was getting at, maybe some family habits of the Bushes, maybe it was a racial slur.