"Doomsday" Clock Moved Forward

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joyfulgirl

Blue Crack Addict
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/01/17/doomsday.clock.ap/

LONDON, England (AP) -- The world has nudged closer to a nuclear apocalypse and environmental disaster, a trans-Atlantic group of prominent scientists warned Wednesday, pushing the hand of its symbolic Doomsday Clock two minutes closer to midnight.

It was the fourth time since the end of the Cold War that the clock has ticked forward, this time from 11:53 to 11:55, amid fears over what the scientists are describing as "a second nuclear age" prompted largely by atomic standoffs with Iran and North Korea.

But the organization added that the "dangers posed by climate change are nearly as dire as those posed by nuclear weapons." (Watch as the hands of time are moved closer to global disaster Video)

The Chicago-based Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, founded in 1945 as a newsletter distributed among nuclear physicists concerned by the possibility of nuclear war, has since grown into an organization focused more generally on manmade threats to the survival of human civilization.

"As scientists, we understand the dangers of nuclear weapons and their devastating effects, and we are learning how human activities and technologies are affecting climate systems in ways that may forever change life on Earth," said Stephen Hawking, the renowned cosmologist and mathematician.

"As citizens of the world, we have a duty to alert the public to the unnecessary risks that we live with every day, and to the perils we foresee if governments and societies do not take action now to render nuclear weapons obsolete and to prevent further climate change."

:rockon: :bonodrum:

Maybe when it comes we will all be like ah shit we should have done more to stop our ways of being complete assholes to each other.

Bring it on!

Nah it'll be like Mad Max. I've already got my vehicle plans drawn up and I'm gonna have a fortress.

As long as it doesn't turn out to be like Waterworld - expensive and gay.

Canadiens1160 said:
Nah it'll be like Mad Max. I've already got my vehicle plans drawn up and I'm gonna have a fortress.

As long as it doesn't turn out to be like Waterworld - expensive and gay.
:lmao: :lmao:

Hawking: Climate Change Worse Than Terror

Hawking Says Climate Change Poses Greater Threat to Humanity Than Terrorism

The Associated Press

LONDON - Scientist Stephen Hawking described climate change Wednesday as a greater threat to the planet than terrorism.

Hawking made the remarks as other prominent scientists prepared to push the giant hand of its Doomsday Clock a symbol of the risk of atomic cataclysm closer to midnight. The move will mark the fourth time since the end of the Cold War that the clock has ticked forward and Hawking warned that "as citizens of the world, we have a duty to alert the public to the unnecessary risks that we live with every day."

This Hawking guy is some "know-it all"?

The question is rather:
Do you have to be Hawking to know that climatic change will be far worse than terror attacks?

Still you have to consider, if any country started a war with massive use of A-bombs, it would be the end.

Vincent Vega said:
The question is rather:
Do you have to be Hawking to know that climatic change will be far worse than terror attacks?

That's exactly right. Without a stable climate, there's nothing...no African children to save, no oil reserves to protect and fight over. No more dreams, no more fears. No life.

When I hear about the Doomsday scenarios from leading scientists, it's pretty weighty stuff. I wonder if many of them secretly think it's too late to turn back the clock. I wonder if it's too late to turn back the clock. But, I also think there's time to turn it around. If you can't believe that, then what's the point?

I also wonder what's stopping me from making climate change a bigger issue with the political leaders I helped get into office.

Mere words and thoughts aren't really enough.

Back
Top Bottom