Don't let the bedbugs bite! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2006, 07:58 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 04:37 PM
It took my friend 3 months to treat her bedding!!!
Well, she did have the choice to burn her mattress but she had not long paid $AU3,500 for it!!
It cost her so much, as she had to get rid of all her bedlinen!!!
It was just so awful for her!!

Old 02-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:37 AM
DDT also causes resistend insects but a wanderer said it right,m..It is cheap that is why we want to use it in poor regions of the world.

but this editorial makes sence,..

http://www.alma.edu/news/releases/ar...orenzEditorial

Old 02-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Perhaps you should have quoted me fully, are you implying that only DDT causes resistant insects (it's called natural selection and it happens with nearly all other pesticides), you also imply that because it is cheap it should be used in poor regions of the world - well yes, in cases where you have malarial death in the absence of DDT it's use can be beneficial to use a cost-benefit analysis of either saving a few lives with anti-malarial drugs or many with DDT. But if you look at my statement it is one of caution (i.e. moderate use, recognising the limitations, the importance of other means e.g. preventative measures, mosquito nets etc). One also wonders why it is that skepticism towards motive is only reserved towards advocates of "bad" things like petroleum, pesticides and nuclear power (incidently all things that have so far or have the capacity to improve quality of life or adress serious environmental problems) but that critical eye is never cast at the agenda of opponents. Reflexive blanket opposition is poor form.

My quote
Quote:
DDT is cheap, effective and less dangerous to humans. The proposals for a worldwide ban of this pesticide are obscene when we weigh the cost in life that could be prevented by moderate use in conjunction with an array of anti-malarial programs. I am not saying it is the be all and end all but it can do a lot of good and the eco-hysteria over DDT has gone on long enough.
Furthurmore sleeping overnight in a room that has been treated with DDT is probably not going to have long term lasting effects.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:05 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:37 AM
Natural selection by using pesticedes ? very natural,....

Persnaly i think the every poison that accumulate in fat tissue should be used very carefull and certainly not with something like bedbugs.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Yes natural selection using pesticides, when plants evolve chemical detterents against detrimental insects eventually insects that are not effected will fill the open niche. Man made pesticides are no different than any other population pressure - although they are an extremely selective one. Theres a field with insects, it gets dusted with pesticide, pesticide kills off 99% of the insects, of the ones that stay alive some may have a trait that enables them to survive ~ the frequency of offspring from the reduced population with that trait is higher than it was before the use of pesticides. It falls under natural selection, artificial selection is deliberately selective breeding.

The point was raised about DDT, through decades of use we know about the environmental dangers and the health dangers - it is not a killer chemical that will snuff out anyone in small doses.