Don't Forget About Darfur

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Although Darfur has stepped out of the front page of the newsmedia, it should not step out of our consciousness.

Things have not improved in Darfur and have actually been declining.

Here is a link to the continuing tragedy:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4487269.stm

If you want to find a way to register your outrage over the lack of international action on the growing humanitarian crisis in Darfur, here is one thing that you can do:

go to http://www.africaaction.org and sign this petition to put pressure on the U.S. government to step up the pressure internationally on Darfur.

Here is an email that I just got from them:

Dear Friends,

Recent reports confirm that up to 400,000 people have died in Darfur as a result of the government-sponsored genocide. More than 2.5 million people have been displaced from their homes. A deadly government-engineered famine is imminent, and it threatens to kill many more people. Nothing short of international intervention can protect the people of Darfur. We must demand that the U.S. government do everything necessary through the United Nations (UN) to ensure an urgent multinational intervention to protect civilians in Darfur.

In commemoration of the 400,000 dead in Darfur, we are launching a petition drive to raise 400,000 voices of conscience across the country demanding immediate action to protect the vulnerable people of Darfur. The Darfur genocide petition calls on the President to assert U.S. leadership by taking every step necessary through the United Nations to:

- Establish a mandate for an international force to protect civilians

- Deploy such a force in support of existing African Union efforts in Darfur

The United States has a unique capacity and clear obligation to take immediate action. Unless there is an urgent international intervention in Darfur, up to a million people may be dead by the end of this year.

We are hoping not only that you will sign the petition, but also actively help secure signatures from your friends, families, colleagues and strangers. We are seeking at least 400,000 signatures. Every signature can help stop the genocide in Darfur. Government officials who remained silent during the Rwandan genocide regularly claim that if Americans had clamored for more government action, the U.S. would have been forced to work with the UN to intervene, and could have saved thousands of lives. We have the power to guarantee protection for the people of Darfur.

You can sign the petition online by visiting our website and sending your demands directly to the President. Please forward this email to solicit signatures. You can also download a copy of the petition to use for collecting signatures. If you want hard copies mailed to you, email us at mobilize@africaaction.org.

Last year, Africa Action sponsored a petition drive aimed at former Secretary of State Colin Powell demanding the Darfur crisis be recognized as genocide. That petition drew 30,000 signatures in three weeks, and directly contributed to the acknowledgement by the Administration that genocide was occurring in Darfur.

Now the United States has started to backtrack on its statements. Deputy Secretary of State Robert Zoellick recently refused to describe the crisis as genocide and has actually been engaging the genocidal regime in Sudan. In March, a White House official insisted the President was “still very focused” on Darfur, but added, “there are other issues that the president finds more pressing.” What could be more pressing than genocide?

In Solidarity,

The Staff @ Africa Action

-----------------------------------------------------

Please find it in your hearts to help these most vunerable and forgotten people - the People of Darfur.

Thank you. :up:

:up:

My school recently had a petition started by a senior social justice class go around to send to Congress or the Senate, not sure which, urging them to try to do something about Darfur(I forget the specifics). We had 750 signatures. I don't know if it will make a difference but hopefully it will.

All it would take is for an African force to be backed up by western intelligence and air support to make the killing stop, unfortunately the UN will not do squat about it and this genocide will go on unabated.

I know, A_Wanderer, that the UN (like most of the nations of the world) are turning their backs on Darfur, but that doesn't mean that as people of conscience and good will, we should ignore their suffering too.

What it should mean to us is that we have to STEP UP OUR ACTIVISM on their behalf, and not lessen it.

It's called accountability and transparency and many of the governments of the developed world aren't that much better than some of the governments of developing nations!

Thanks for everyone's concern so far.:wink:

jamila - i wanted to say thanks for always bringing up important global issues here on the forum. often times people get so caught up arguing about which bible verse is more important that they overlook what needs to be addressed here and now.

you speak of signs and wonders
but i need something other
i would believe if i was able
but i'm waiting on the crumbs from your table

:up: keep it up.

Thanks for posting this! At one of the high schools I work at, we started a letter-writing campaign to our political reps a few weeks ago. Nothing better than high school student activists! Great passion and great compassion!

Thanks for posting this Jamila. As usual, you rock. I've a good friend from Akon who has his own organization, Jump-Start Sudan. He's taught me a lot about what's been going on in southern Sudan. These people are amazing people who have suffered through a lot and we should do what we can to help them.

God bless you Jamila for your dedication to the world's poor in your posts! :up:

You're all very welcome. I'm very moved by your kind words.

And thank you all for signing on to the petition.

It's the survival of the people of Darfur which is most important.

WHERE YOU LIVE SHOULD NOT DECIDE WHETHER YOU LIVE OR WHETHER YOU DIE....:up:

Back
Top Bottom