Don't Ask the Libertarian Anything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the iron horse said:

BonoVoxSupastar,

You have not done your research.
The core of the Libertarian principle is personal responsiblity.

Really?

You always make post how you want to be able to smoke anywhere you want, regardless if it hurts someone else. You don't want to be fined if you throw your butt out the window. We should ignore global warming. We should allow harmful chemicals in our foods.

I don't see how this is being responsible.

Are you saying that the government shouldn't legistlate these things because somehow you will take the "personal" responsibility of not smoking in a restaurant, you'll stop throwing your butts out the window on your own, or you and corporations will start looking at what we're putting in our bodies?

Last edited:
could you detail the ways in which the Republican party is far more hostile to the goals of libertarians than the Democratic party?

where does taking responsibility for yourself fit in when someone else gets killed because of the irreponsibility of self-professed libertarians?

should we not treat smokers who get lung cancer? after all -- personal responsibility.

Irvine511 said:

where does taking responsibility for yourself fit in when someone else gets killed because of the irreponsibility of self-professed libertarians?

should we not treat smokers who get lung cancer? after all -- personal responsibility.

Well to answer your first question, libertarianism is about taking self responsibility and having unlimited liberty without hurting others. So you have the liberty to smoke marijuana, for example, but you don't have the "liberty" to kill another person and if you do kill another person, you should be prosecuted.

About your second question, smokers can smoke all they want, and if they want treatment, and if a doctor wants to treat them for whatever price, then that is fine. If they don't want treatment, thats fine too.

the iron horse said:
BonoVoxSupastar,

You have not done your research.
The core of the Libertarian principle is personal responsiblity.

There's a difference between a tagline and the actual stances a party takes.

financeguy said:

I know this is Iron_Horse's thread but I'm going to butt in here.

You couldn't be more wrong with your assumption.

I know all about Libertarianism. I just think Iron Horse has a quite different definition than most given the way he portrays it...

A_Wanderer said:
Seems to be more hedonism than libertarianism.

I imagine that's precisely how most American "libertarians" define it. I blame Ayn Rand (who, incidentally, hated libertarians).

I'm not the only one.

Why do I think this? Your threads. Read my post that starts with "Really?" this is why so many are confused by your stance on Libertarianism.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Really?

You always make post how you want to be able to smoke anywhere you want, regardless if it hurts someone else. You don't want to be fined if you throw your butt out the window. We should ignore global warming. We should allow harmful chemicals in our foods.

I don't see how this is being responsible.

Are you saying that the government shouldn't legistlate these things because somehow you will take the "personal" responsibility of not smoking in a restaurant, you'll stop throwing your butts out the window on your own, or you and corporations will start looking at what we're putting in our bodies?

"Really?

You always make post how you want to be able to smoke anywhere you want, regardless if it hurts someone else. You don't want to be fined if you throw your butt out the window. We should ignore global warming. We should allow harmful chemicals in our foods."

Please post quotes where I have said any of those things.

Back
Top Bottom