Don't Ask Don't Tell - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2007, 03:00 AM   #121
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

I wonder - are people here really concerned about what is best for the Army regarding this issue, or are they more concerned with their own sense of political correctness?
Wouldn't you say that what's best for the Army is those willing to serve and defend the lives of those fighting next to them, period?

I have a hard time believing soldiers in combat really suffer with this 'dilemma'.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:36 AM   #122
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:48 PM
No wonder gay men in professional sports are still not coming out. It would probably be the end of their career with the ridiculous homophobia in society.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:42 AM   #123
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

I've never seen someone dig themselves into a hole so quickly, Aeon.

Comparing gays and women in the military to toddlers in tackle football? Do you actually expect anyone to take that seriously?

Every argument you've put forth in this thread, no matter the rationalization, has been either homophobic or sexist, or both. Notice how no one has come to your defense on this?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:11 AM   #124
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:18 PM
AEON, I think you should ask for a refund on your "Jump to Conclusions Mat." It seems to be broken.

It sounds to me like you are taking the stance that gays should not be allowed in the military at all. I feel like you haven't responded to all the posts, including mine, that point out that gays already serve in the military. There is a posibility that there may even be a homosexual soldier in your unit right now.

Again, I stress, the issue here is NOT whether gays should be allowed in the military. It is whether they should be allowed to be vocal about their culture. You haven't responded to any of the posts which said this. You just go on and on and on about how gays should not be in the military, but THEY ARE!

Again, I ask you. Since they are already in the military, what is so wrong about letting them say that they are gay? They are already there serving, just as anybody else. Even though I don't agree with you saying there will be sexual tension, what I'm pointing out is that the potential "sexual tension" which you think will be added is already there because THERE ARE CURRENTLY GAYS IN THE MILITARY.

Now, that being said, that certainly makes your "added sexual tension" claim to be false, since THEY ARE ALREADY THERE.

ALL this issue is about is whether or not they can be vocal. I'm being redundant, but you haven't responded to those posts. Again, I see you taking the stance that gays should not be in the military at all, which is more of your opinion than it is of the military itself, since they ARE CURRENTLY SERVING IN THE MILITARY.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:15 AM   #125
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Comparing gays and women in the military to toddlers in tackle football? Do you actually expect anyone to take that seriously?

Every argument you've put forth in this thread, no matter the rationalization, has been either homophobic or sexist, or both. Notice how no one has come to your defense on this?
The gays may be irrelevent but having women in frontline combat positions does seem more problematic. In general women are physically weaker than men and may present problems.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:01 AM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
The gays may be irrelevent but having women in frontline combat positions does seem more problematic. In general women are physically weaker than men and may present problems.
I do know some women who are stronger and more physically able then some men I know. I say, regardless of one's sex, as long as they can meet certain standards (having a penis is not included among them) and pass the PT test, then why not?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #127
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Here's a new post of the thread, bvs

Methinks AEON is either an idiot or out for a shitstir. I really can't pick which it is, though.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #128
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

I do know some women who are stronger and more physically able then some men I know. I say, regardless of one's sex, as long as they can meet certain standards (having a penis is not included among them) and pass the PT test, then why not?
Bit off topic but just a wonder, are there any physical activities, sports or otherwise where women record better times, endurance levels, skill, strength etc than men?

I know for instance women are meant to be able to withstand sudden changes in temperature better, also that they would possibly make better aircraft pilots?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #129
War Child

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
I wonder - are people here really concerned about what is best for the Army regarding this issue, or are they more concerned with their own sense of political correctness?
Well, this is the same military responsible for Abu Ghraib, the Tailhook scandal, and problems with religious tolerance in the military academies, amongst other periodic abuses. Is prisoner abuse, sexual harrassment, and intolerance "team bonding" exercises?

Otherwise, I'd say that the military has a huge, unaddressed discipline problem; and it's no wonder that the popular belief is that the military is full of uneducated hicks, because the military appears to do very little to make anyone else feel welcome.

(Now, obviously, we've had some past discussions here regarding whether that "popular belief" is true, and just from Interference, I've encountered some quite bright (ex-)military members. So, before we go on a flame war saying that I think that everyone in the military is dumb, I'm just pointing out the popular stereotype [and your disparaging comments about women and gays in the military certainly help further the stereotype in the minds of some]. However, I still question whether there's a real discipline problem in the military.)
Old 03-02-2007, 08:04 AM   #130
Blue Crack Supplier

can someone please tell me why it's more important to protect AEON from showering with a homo than it is to have linguists fluent in Arabic? because that is the situation.

for someone who sees the GWOT as a prelude to WW3, you don't seem to want to go out onto the field with your A-team, do you?
Old 03-02-2007, 08:09 AM   #131
Blue Crack Supplier

also, i'm going to a birthday party at a country/western gay bar on saturday.

i can't wait to tell all the closeted military guys there about this thread!
Old 03-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #132
War Child

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
can someone please tell me why it's more important to protect AEON from showering with a homo than it is to have linguists fluent in Arabic?
Because it's a regular societal pattern. If straight white Christian males are inconvenienced in any way, no matter how real or imagined it is, we have to move heaven and earth to accommodate them.

Anyone else?

"Deal with it."
"Move to another country if you don't like it here."
Old 03-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #133
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

People here are concerned with what's best for our nation, not concerned with their own sense of what is comfortable and what is "icky".

Segregation or discrimination of this kind is basically unconstitutional. So fuck what the army thinks. When have we got things right because of what the majority thought? Certainly not black civil rights, women's rights, Japanese internment camps....
Old 03-02-2007, 09:04 AM   #134
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah all those wonderful female soldiers who have died in Iraq had no business being there, and they were nothing but T and A to their fellow male soldiers. They should have just stayed home and baked cookies.

It has nothing to do with political correctness, it's about equality and human rights. What's best for the Army and all branches is to get with the times and stop living in the dark ages.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #135
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I wouldn't allow my toddler son to play tackle football with my brother's football team- it doesn't mean I hate him or that I am a toddler-phobe. It simply means it isn't the best situation for either my son or my brother's football team.

Bad analogy. Your todler isn't of consenting age or even close to their age.

Try again, and quit hiding behind the old PC card. Try and argue the issue on your own mertit. Quit flip-flopping about what really is the issue.