Don't Ask Don't Tell - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2007, 05:36 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:49 PM
I've never encountered women with this problem. Not in student rez or anywhere. My roommate's best friend is a lesbian, she stays here often, I've never had any issue while she was over. My best friend was visiting me last weekend while the other girl was over, again, nobody felt uncomfortable. Why would I? Are we so self-centred to think that she'd immediately fall in love with us and assault us in the bathroom while we're showering? It's completely ridiculous.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I'm still looking for a good explanation as to why straight men apparently often have this reaction to the idea of sharing a locker room or barracks with gay men, whereas straight women apparently seldom have that reaction with lesbians.

it must be the magically persuasive powers of the penis.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:50 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
I've never encountered women with this problem. Not in student rez or anywhere. My roommate's best friend is a lesbian, she stays here often, I've never had any issue while she was over. My best friend was visiting me last weekend while the other girl was over, again, nobody felt uncomfortable. Why would I? Are we so self-centred to think that she'd immediately fall in love with us and assault us in the bathroom while we're showering? It's completely ridiculous.

i've showered with straight men, slept in the same bed with a straight man.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vincent Vega
Hm, you are in the heat of a battle, fighting for your life, and the only thing you think about is whether your openly gay comrade would jump on you in an 'explosion' of sexual desire?

I don't think that's anywhere near reality.
Being a solder is 99.9% training and team building. Very rarely is there an actual battle.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #50
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

Being a solder is 99.9% training and team building. Very rarely is there an actual battle.
So what exactly is it about women and gay men and women that prohibits this "team building"? Or is team building just some sort of code that means something else?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Is it possible there are certain heterosexual male personality types that simply do not mix well with homosexuals? And that these types typically gravitate to organizations like the Infantry?

By the way - I have met some Israeli Infantry officers - do not think for a moment that they are that different from their American counterparts. In fact, the British Infantry officers were the same as well.

I can't speak for everyone in all Infantry units in all armies - but I certainly know that it is my observation that what I've posted is the prevalent attitude in the Infantry about gays in the military.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Is it possible there are certain heterosexual male personality types that simply do not mix well with homosexuals? And that these types typically gravitate to organizations like the Infantry?
None of the temperament theories I've studied have anything to do with closemindedness.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

So what exactly is it about women and gay men and women that prohibits this "team building"? Or is team building just some sort of code that means something else?
That depends on the team - does it not? A team of marketing strategist would look different than a team of Infantry soldiers. Different jobs require different people - why is that so hard to accept?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

I don't understand really what mixing well with homosexuals means-you work together and do your best to get along just as you do with heterosexuals. I get along or don't get along with people based upon what they are like as people, not their orientation.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Different jobs require different people - why is that so hard to accept?
I don't think people aren't accepting this. We all know this. You're saying that a certain breed of closedminded and paranoid military men will end up in infantry. I'm saying that the military attracts both gay and straight people. It has been stated repeatedly in this thread that there are currently gays serving. Also, closedminded and paranoid heterosexual men can flock to various other careers as well.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

None of the temperament theories I've studied have anything to do with closemindedness.
From my POV - it seems that many here are being close minded about the possibility that I may be right, that perhaps the Infantry isn't the right fit for everyone.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #57
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Different jobs require different people - why is that so hard to accept?
Different jobs require different people-but NOT people of any particular orientation or gender. Even some women can lift heavy amounts and objects and do other traditionally male jobs. And vice versa-men can do jobs that have been considered in the past to be "female". Ability to do a job, including the military, is based upon personality traits and sometimes physical abilities-and that has nothing whatsoever to do with sexual orientation. It has everything to do with individual traits. So unless you believe that individual traits are ascribed to orientation (and that's called stereotyping), there's no connection there.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

From my POV - it seems that many here are being close minded about the possibility that I may be right, that perhaps the Infantry isn't the right fit for everyone.
We know it isn't the right fit for everyone. That isn't the issue here. There are currently GAYS SERVING IN THE MILITARY. They're there already! This isn't a debate about whether or not gays should serve. They already are!!! This debate is about them being censored about their culture. The military allows them to serve, but doesn't allow them to talk. THAT'S what the issue is.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami

Actually - the ENTJ personality type (from MBTI) is often seen in this light. This just happens to be my personality type
Old 03-01-2007, 06:18 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Actually - the ENTJ personality type (from MBTI) is often seen in this light.
I don't remember reading that the ENTJ temperament was closed minded. It is one of the rational types, but rational does not mean closed. minded. What source says they are closed minded?