Don't Ask Don't Tell - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:01 AM
Straight people would stay away in droves? Why, are they all Tim Hardaway clones?

Old 03-01-2007, 05:37 AM   #17
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:01 PM
"The private prejudices of heterosexual service members are illegitimate reasons for government-sanctioned discrimination against gay and lesbian service members."
-Judge Nickerson

Old 03-01-2007, 09:39 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:01 AM
As an Infantry Platoon Leader, I can tell you this is not a good idea. We are asked to live too close and too tight to be worried about sexual tension. This is the same reason women should not be in the Infantry.

"Male bonding" of a non-sexual type is a key component to the Infantry. Adding the sexual element would be interfering with unit cohesion - and would put lives at risk - all for the sake of making a very small minority comfortable. This is unacceptable. Is this truly about making a better Army or is it about making a political statement?

The modern Infantry is not designed for everyone. You can quote me all the articles you want about Greek soldiers and Alexander the Great - and we could debate whether or not these articles are true or simply revisionist history. There just isn't enough information about these armies. However, we have volumes and volumes of information from the Revolutionary War through today.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

There's sexual tension anywhere and everywhere, human beings can learn to deal with it and be professional. That's no justification for excluding anyone-women or gay men and women. It's a cop out.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

"Male bonding" of a non-sexual type is a key component to the Infantry. Adding the sexual element would be interfering with unit cohesion - and would put lives at risk - all for the sake of making a very small minority comfortable. This is unacceptable. Is this truly about making a better Army or is it about making a political statement?
we have already stated that there are gays that currently serve in the military. they aren't adding a sexual element to the unit at all! just like everyone else, they are there to serve. so tell me, how is allowing gay soldiers, who are CURRENTLY SERVING, to be OPEN about their culture, adding a sexual element???
Old 03-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
As an Infantry Platoon Leader, I can tell you this is not a good idea. We are asked to live too close and too tight to be worried about sexual tension. This is the same reason women should not be in the Infantry.

I'm a woman and it's not that I would want to join an infantry unit or the army in general (I'd rather quite frankly be shot in the head than be in the military), but are men so sexually frustrated and so unable to control their urges?

I'd like to see a study on this.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:13 AM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:01 AM
Quote:

All that discipline you're suppose to learn in the military, you'd think you learn how to keep it in your pants.

I honestly think this is one of the worse statements I've seen in FYM for weeks.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
This is the same reason women should not be in the Infantry.
Interesting. So in conservative Islamic societies women are seen as sexual objects and must be separated from men in order for men not to submit to their uncontrollable base urges. You've made comments before to the effect that you want to fight so-called "Islamofascism" in order to halt the spread of such ideas. And yet here you're espousing a version of the same idea. That doesn't cause any cognitive dissonance for you?

Old 03-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The reason that I said that a lot of straight people would stay away in droves is because most straight men who go join the military have some sort of problem with openly gay people. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying that's how it is. The military isn't going to change their policy.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:28 AM   #25
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The modern Infantry is not designed for everyone. You can quote me all the articles you want about Greek soldiers and Alexander the Great - and we could debate whether or not these articles are true or simply revisionist history. There just isn't enough information about these armies. However, we have volumes and volumes of information from the Revolutionary War through today.

aside from the fact that gay soldiers are already in the infintry and serving bravely, and the fact that most of the rest of the modern world (UK, Australia) doesn't think it's okay on the rights of all citizens to serve their country, and you give me a single good reason to dismiss a linguist fluent in Arabic just so you don't have to shower with me?

oh, and i'm quite insulted that you seem to think that i can't bond with straight men in a non-sexual way. as i've written about before, at length, i was an athlete from the age of 8, count straight men among my very, very best friends, and not once has there ever been a sexual element to our friendship.

perhaps you're all about sex, but i'm not.

and you've given the same argument that was once used to enforce racially segregated units -- "cohesion" and all that.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

oh, and i'm quite insulted that you seem to think that i can't bond with straight men in a non-sexual way.
With some the fear might be more the other way round
Old 03-01-2007, 11:39 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:01 PM
are homosexuals still not allowed in the military in the u.s.?

you guys are good at cracking the rest of the world up sometimes
Old 03-01-2007, 11:40 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Irvine, try to remember we're talking about the US military here? Fuck all this cohesion bullshit! The simple fact is that there are a lot of homophobes in the military who aren't going to serve with openly gay people. This ain't the swim team for Pete's sake!
Old 03-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
are homosexuals still not allowed in the military in the u.s.?

you guys are good at cracking the rest of the world up sometimes
they can, they just can't be open about their sexuality. that's why the "don't ask don't tell."
Old 03-01-2007, 12:25 PM   #30
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and you've given the same argument that was once used to enforce racially segregated units -- "cohesion" and all that.
I think this is a really important point. Yes, it may cause some friction initially (although as Irvine and others have pointed out, there are already gay service men and women), but that was also the case when army units were racially integrated. Just because it might take some serious adjustment and time to resolve doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile to try.

It seems a bit ridiculous to suggest that in the heat of battle anyone would really be worried if the fellow soldier watching their back is gay or straight.

Why does everything always have to be about sex anyway? Forming bonds of friendship doesn't have to be dependent on presence of or lack of sexual tension. Maybe I'm missing something important about the way things work in the military though.