Domestic Violence-Private Matter? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2006, 08:50 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Re: Domestic Violence-Private Matter?

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

Mike Teevan, a spokesman for Major League Baseball, said the league has no policy requiring suspension of players charged or convicted in domestic violence cases.

``We're obviously very concerned about it," Teevan said. ``But it was an off-field incident and it's the player's private life. We're going to let the legal system run its course."

Damn straight let the legal system take it's course,because if he is found guilty as charged, he won't be playing for nobody! And i seriously don't believe this idiot Teevan's statement....there must be some sort of action that they can do in the meantime........what about the messages that are being sent to the kids out there that admire this guy for his sporting achievements.....what?...that this behaviour is acceptable because he is "Red Sox"?
And if he is convicted and if there is no policy.........the major league need to make an example of him!

Old 06-28-2006, 08:59 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Not that it even matters but Myers plays for the Phillies, not the Sox. But like one article says, the Red Sox have had problems with the same issue in the past.

Unfortunately baseball still has issues with sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. It is reflective of society, but it should strive to be better and to make certain changes in attitude and in policy.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:42 PM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Not that it even matters but Myers plays for the Phillies, not the Sox. But like one article says, the Red Sox have had problems with the same issue in the past.

Unfortunately baseball still has issues with sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. It is reflective of society, but it should strive to be better and to make certain changes in attitude and in policy.
Sorry,the phillies then............I agree with you, they do need to make changes, a Cronulla Sharks footballer now understands these changes, see below

NRL sacks Latu
Old 06-29-2006, 09:14 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

"Professional" sports has become such a joke to me. I'm not watching MLB again. What a waste of time, money, and space. This is just the icing on the cake
Old 10-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Remember this-well this is what happened yesterday. Even with witnesses who were willing to testify. They had one witness on the news who said he was disgusted by the charges being dropped, he said she was knocked right out of her shoes.

BOSTON -- An assault and battery charge against Phillies pitcher Brett Myers was dismissed by a Boston Municipal Court judge on Thursday.

Myers was charged with hitting his wife, Kimberly, in the face on a Back Bay street near Fenway Park on June 23 while the team was in town to play a series against the Boston Red Sox.

Kimberly Myers told the court that she was not hurt and she did not want to go forward with the case. She said the allegations about what transpired that night were not accurate, although she admitted that the couple had been drinking and an argument escalated and got out of hand.

"We went out and we both had a lot to drink. I was not harmed that night, I was not injured. We did have, you know, some contact with each other," Kimberly Myers said.

"Although Mrs. Myers is now telling a slightly different version of events, on the night of the assault, she told two police officers that she was punched in the face with a closed fist by her husband, Mr. Myers," said prosecutor Susan Terrey.

Kimberly Myers said they have no history of domestic violence, describing the event as an "isolated incident." She also added that the couple sought counseling after the incident.

"This profession and lifestyle is hard. My husband travels a lot. The marriage counseling has been a great asset," Kimberly Myers said.

Judge Raymond Dougan said he believed the allegations about the incident, but found no evidence that Kimberly Myers was pressured to have the charges dropped.

Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley released a statement Thursday expressing his disappointment with the ruling.

“All of us in my office are deeply disappointed that a Boston Municipal Court judge used his discretionary authority to simultaneously affirm that a man beat his wife on a public street and deny our efforts to hold him responsible," Conley's statment said.

Before the hearing, prosecutors said they did not want to drop the case and wanted a plea deal in which Myers would be found guilty of assault, serve two years of probation, enter a program for spousal abusers and undergo alcohol abuse evaluation.

"We recommended what we believed to be an appropriate sentence. That recommendation was based on the seriousness of the charge, the strength of our case, our investigation into the defendant’s record and the victim’s desires," Conley's statement said.

Conley said Dougan's ruling sent a message to alleged abusers that they can use a statute intended for minor altercations to avoid being held responsible for serious domestic violence charges, adding that his office would seek legislation to close the "legal loophole."

Toni K. Troop -- director of development and public relations at Jane Doe Inc., a statewide coalition against sexual assault and domestic violence -- said that ``marriage counseling can at times be a very helpful step for couples to take."

But in domestic violence cases, such counseling may ``reinforce that this is a problem between the two of them, in his decision to hit his wife and push her to the ground," Troop said.

``Celebrity status along with economic advantage are often factors that offenders can count on as assisting them in evading responsibility through the courts," she added
Old 10-06-2006, 10:08 AM   #21
Jesus Online

Local Time: 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!

Sorry,the phillies then............I agree with you, they do need to make changes, a Cronulla Sharks footballer now understands these changes, see below

NRL sacks Latu
Ha! The NRL finally pulled it's finger out. Half the league need to be locked away. They're thugs.

Not sure what it's like in the US, but domestic violence really is seen as a private matter here. It's taken the police years to not view it as a domestic, and therefore civil, matter and begin treating it as a criminal offence. Until a clear way forward is found, it must be treated with caution as it can too easily aggravate further assault. And unfortunately further assault is most often likely no matter what the outcome as even in the best circumstances, court orders and the like dont prevent re-offence.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:10 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic
"Professional" sports has become such a joke to me. I'm not watching MLB again. What a waste of time, money, and space. This is just the icing on the cake
Hey, I've stood by my promise. I haven't watched baseball (or any pro sport really, but I used to like baseball)...
Old 10-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:01 AM
I think almost everybody could have predicted this would happen. I'm not always the greatest fan of police behavior, but I assume after a while the police wonder, why bother? Even if I expect them to continue to bother. Not being a witness here, I don't know what happened for sure, but I'm inclined to believe it was more than the new story. Looking forward to seeing the jewelry or the new car she got.