Dolphin Beaching Came After Sub Exercise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Dolphin Beaching Came After Sub Exercise

KEY WEST, Fla. - The Navy and marine wildlife experts are investigating whether the beaching of dozens of dolphins in the Florida Keys followed the use of sonar by a submarine on a training exercise off the coast.

More than 20 rough-toothed dolphins have died since Wednesday's beaching by about 70 of the marine mammals, Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary spokeswoman Cheva Heck said Saturday.

A day before the dolphins swam ashore, the USS Philadelphia had conducted exercises with Navy SEALs off Key West, about 45 miles from Marathon, where the dolphins became stranded.

Navy officials refused to say if the submarine, based at Groton, Conn., used its sonar during the exercise.

Some scientists surmise that loud bursts of sonar, which can be heard for miles in the water, may disorient or scare marine mammals, causing them to surface too quickly and suffer the equivalent of what divers know as the bends — when sudden decompression forms nitrogen bubbles in tissue.

"This is absolutely high priority," said Lt. Cdr. Jensin Sommer, spokeswoman for Norfolk, Va.-based Naval Submarine Forces. "We are looking into this. We want to be good stewards of the environment, and any time there are strandings of marine mammals, we look into the operations and locations of any ships that might have been operating in that area."

Experts are conducting necropsies on the dead dolphins, looking for signs of trauma that could have been inflicted by loud noises.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20050306/ap_on_re_us/stranded_dolphins

----------------------------------------------------------------------

For decades, whales and dolphins and other marine mammals have been beaching themselves "mysteriously" on the shores of the Caribbean and other areas around the Atlantic Ocean AFTER sonar exercises by the U.S. Navy, NATO and others.

Many organizations, especially the National Resources Defense Council, have fought a battle to get these organizations to stop using this technology in certain prime areas and at certain prime times of the year when endangered and threatened sea species are in these areas for breeding and other essential purposes.

These organizations continue to this day to ignore these pleas and court battles are underway to BAN SONAR TESTING at certain times of the year and in certain key survival areas for these species.

If this gross disrespect for the RIGHT TO LIFE of all creatures angers you, here is a place that you can go to voice your concern for the threatened survival of these innocent and magnificent sea creatures:

http://www.savebiogems.org/whales/takeaction.asp?step=2&item=52483

Thank You....:yes:

So the Bush administration gets blamed for this somehow? Must everything be politicized around here? I feel bad for the dolphins, but I place higher priority on my country's defense than on dolphins ( and I am a huge animal lover) and consistent training and exercises are key. It is not as if these guys are in the subs saying "Hey,let's scare some dolphins today."

Ft Worth Frog, if you did some research into this issue, I think you would disagree with your own statement.

Bush's administration is the one in power now, so it gets to shoulder the responsibility for U.S. actions.

If you would like to ask Dubya to resign and put a Democrat in his place, I would gladly blame the Democrat if they were doing the same thing.

Please ask him to resign - OK? :lol:

Jamila said:
Ft Worth Frog, if you did some research into this issue, I think you would disagree with your own statement.

Are you referring to the statement that the military isn't hunting dolphins? If so, do you have evidence to the contrary?

Or are you referring to the statement that national defense is more important than dolphins? Seems like a value judgment to me, and a reasonable one at that. It's not as if you can send these subs 1000 miles into the middle of the ocean every time they need to test a piece of equipment.

Last edited:
Some scientists is a very powerful statement because science unlike politics is not always a case of majority rules. If the facts support the hypothesis then it stands, if they do not then it doesn't. Sometimes it is the single scientist who initiates the greatest paradigm shifts.

Give me a fucking break people. It is a fault of humankind which caused the need for the military to test any such equipment in the first place, and our ongoing belief that we must put ourselves above all else which leads us to trample on anything which gets in the way. Yes it's fucking sickening, and yes it happens to be Bush's fault. He's the idiot president, isn't he? Suck it up, Bush. You are a fucking turd.

Jamila that link isn't working for me. I'll try searching on it though.

Hi!

I signed the letter too.

Just this past week we have 33 manatees die in Florida because of Red Tide which is caused by pollution runoff.....and environmentalists feel this may be just the beginning.....................

carol
wizard2c
:|

I signed. I remember hearing about these tests a few years ago, then heard they had stopped--how quickly these things are swept under the rug.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the "we need it for national defense" argument. This isn't the Cold War anymore. As far as I know, terrorists lack submarines, or the kind of ship that a submarine would be needed to detect. I'd rather see the money and time put into *real* national security--things like better intelligence and ground troops that are well trained and well equipped. Playing with sonar isn't going to help us in Iraq, or prevent another 9/11.

AvsGirl41 said:
I signed. I remember hearing about these tests a few years ago, then heard they had stopped--how quickly these things are swept under the rug.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy the "we need it for national defense" argument. This isn't the Cold War anymore. As far as I know, terrorists lack submarines, or the kind of ship that a submarine would be needed to detect. I'd rather see the money and time put into *real* national security--things like better intelligence and ground troops that are well trained and well equipped. Playing with sonar isn't going to help us in Iraq, or prevent another 9/11.

Sonar was required to detect aquatic land mines in the Persian Gulf.

Back
Top Bottom