Dolce And Gabbana 'Fantasy Rape' Ad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
Ask any woman who has been raped if she fantasizes about being raped again :|

Well I don't really have much experience or knowledge in the area of rape, rape fantasies, etc...but I did find something on the website Postsecret (community art project where people send in secrets on postcards) that I thought was interesting.

notmysecret.jpg

It was followed by this comment which someone else had emailed in:
"They are not alone. I am a rape counselor and having been raped myself i also have those fantasies as well as many of the victims i counsel. It's such a horrific happenstance that our bodies only way to cope is to trick our mind into liking it."

So I guess we could argue that maybe what the girl who is having rape fantasies after being raped isn't having actual "rape fantasies" (I don't know what definition was decided on...) but it's certainly interesting.

I think this is more desturbing than pole dancing for kids or the vagina monologes,...

MrsSpringsteen said:

Saying no is saying no, period. There is no such thing as eyes saying yes, except in the delusional justifications of a rapist.
Which you may have put together with the explicit statement of "would count as rape".

I wouldn't have even know that that picture was meant to be about fantasising rape had that name not been given to it. It just looked like an editorial photoshoot from the outset (well, to me anyway).

I agree with Lies. I don't like any of the D&G ads. They're all just weird.

As to the issue of "rape fantasy" wouldn't the word "fantasy" imply that whatever is happening in the fantasy you're choosing to have happen (i.e. it's not some nasty guy you can't stand the sight of. . .it's someone hot, attratvie etc) which means that a rape fantasy can never be about an actual rape, because a rape is by definition something the victim doesn't want to happen. Maybe the fantasy is that he (or they) "make" the woman have sex, but in the fantasy context it's not against her will thus not rape.

In real life of course, rape is always unwanted and unwelcome.

VertigoGal said:
There's a difference between having rape fantasies and wanting to be raped. Women do have rape fantasies. No one wants to be raped.

anyway, I think the ad is disgusting and I can't believe they'd actually put it out. it's one thing for people to have private fantasies but it really seems to be glorifying gang rape to me (although like Lies said I guess you could argue either way). I dunno it makes me very uncomfortable.

Indeed. If I remember correctly, safe rape fantasies are constantly among the top ten fantasies of both mean and women.

Having said that, I don't like this ad, either. For one, even if it is suppose to be portraying some safe rape fantasy, anyone viewing the ad has no way of knowing that. And because you can't tell, it does come across as disturbing to me. Using this kind of stuff for the shock value and the buzz it creates irritates me to no end. I find it very irresponsible.

http://www.armanijunior.com/index.j...vieSession=../media/AJr_home.swf&audio=acceso

Giorgio Armani junior ad sparks polemic in Spain
03/12/2007

The advertisement shows a little girl in a bikini. The investigation started a few days after Dolce & Gabbana was forced to pull an image from Spain showing a woman pinned to the ground by a man as other men looked on.

A Giorgio Armani advertisement showing a little girl in a bikini has drawn the attention of Spanish authorities who are debating whether it depicts a child in an improperly sexual manner.

The Madrid regional government's child protection chief said on Monday he would ask the advertising industry self-regulator to consider whether the image visible on the Italian fashion house's Web site (www.armanijunior.com) should be withdrawn.

The decision was taken a few days after Dolce & Gabbana was forced to pull an image from Spain showing a fashionably dressed woman pinned to the ground by a man as other men looked on.

Parents have complained about the Armani Junior advert, Arturo Canalda, head of child interests for Madrid's regional government, said. "It's an advert where little girls aren't portrayed in the attitude of little girls," he said. They are wearing make-up and they are about six or seven."

The black-and-white Armani Junior poster shows two little girls, one wearing a bikini top and with her arm around the other.

In an email statement the Italian firm, said: "The matter will be reviewed once complete information has been received concerning the specific complaint."

Now Dolce and Gabbana are stopping all advertisements in Spain. I think it is interesting that the ad was also criticized and pulled in Italy, but they don't dare react to banning of it there. I understand having some loyalty to the country where they are based, but of course, they aren't making much of an effort to, as they put it, "protect the creative freedom that has always characterized the brand" there.

Dolce and Gabbana Stop All Advertising in Spain

I don't see this Armani ad as a sexual despiction of little girls, except in the sort of perverted minds who go in for that. There is nothing I can do about these kind of people.
I have an 8 year old granddaughter, she wears shorts and I guess what some would call a bikini top, to the pool.. I call it a swim suit top.

I didn't find too much in the other links for D & G that disturbed me. The one that is being discussed, immediately did.
I get both Vogue and Vanity Fair and even though I haven't seen this particular ad, which I find reprehensible, before - I've not seen any really that I would write the editors about.
I just pray I don't have to explain the difference between rape and rape fantasy to my granddaughter.
I don't like this ad and I don't want to see it pushed to the point of becoming possibly "ok".

Back
Top Bottom