Dog Fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:
The plea is all about the NFL personal conduct policy, and if he is allowed to do it that way that's just a joke in my opinion.

That's probably true, but looking at the hard line new commish Roger Goodell has taken on personal conduct I think Vick is through regardless of how the plea agreement reads.

BonoManiac said:
According to ESPN Radio, Vick will plea on Monday that he was present when the dogs were killed but didn't participate in the killing and didn't gamble on the fighting itself.

This seems to contradict the testimony of the three other defendants. So, it will be interesting to see how this will all play out.

Now he's saying that he did help kill the dogs, but didn't gamble:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7151408?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10347

Michael Vick filed his plea agreement in federal court Friday admitting to conspiracy in a dogfighting ring and helping kill pit bulls. He denied ever betting on the fights, only bankrolling them. . .
According to the statement, Vick also was involved with the others in killing six to eight dogs that did not perform well in testing sessions last April. The dogs were executed by drowning or hanging.

"Vick agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts" of Vick and two of the co-defendants, Phillips and Peace, the statement said.

I don't know if I find it sad, hilarious, or pathetic that in Michael Vick's mind gambling is worse than killing dogs :huh: .

I guess it all boils down to the issue that admitting to gambling is more of a problem if he wants to return to the NFL someday. That's just nuts.

eta: In Vick's statement of facts, he was aware of the killing in 2002 but did not "kill any dogs at this time" in 2002.

However, in April of 2007, when the 8 dogs were killed by hanging or drowning because they performed poorly, "Vick agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective effort of Peace, Phillips, and Vick."

http://msn.foxsports.com/id/7153032_37_1.pdf

Last edited:
ESPN are a bunch of shrills. Len Pasquarlli (sp?) is a giant douche, and is probably the unnamed source who provided that garbage. LP has been very forgiving in the information regarding Vick. Many believe it's due to him getting information from Vicks agent. Sort of a tic for tact.

Someone at the station needs to respond to what they're doing. They come out with a report stating something that is completely wrong.

Vick has admitted to everything. It's not a watered down plea like ESPN tried to have everyone believe last night.

Check out the link below for a very detailed account of the Plea:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

kellyahern said:
I don't know if I find it sad, hilarious, or pathetic that in Michael Vick's mind gambling is worse than killing dogs :huh: .

I guess it all boils down to the issue that admitting to gambling is more of a problem if he wants to return to the NFL someday. That's just nuts.

He's been suspended indefinitely by Goodell because of the gambling. It's not really surprising that the gambling issue is the "cause" of his suspension - gambling and everything associated with it is something that causes sports leagues to shudder. It'll be interesting to see how long this indefinite suspension lasts for because he didn't game on NFL games. Part of me says that the suspension would be lifted at some point, but part of me sees Goodell playing hardball with this conduct policy and sticking to the indefinite suspension.

So how much time will this scumbag get in jail? I'd throw the book at him and lock him up for 10 years, that or parachute him into Baghdad with a big target on his back.

:applaud:

(CNN) -- When young Tyler Reab got his autographed Michael Vick football for Christmas in 2005, he was shaking with excitement. Who knew it would end like this: his pet dog, Otis, munching on the once-cherished ball until it popped, its slobbery remnants hawked on eBay.

But that's just what has happened in the aftermath of Vick's guilty plea to a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge. Tyler ultimately chose man's best friend over his once favorite sports star.

"From the beginning, it was his choice as to what he wanted to do with it," his father Chris Reab told CNN.com. "I commend him."

Tyler of Corvallis, Oregon, and his uncle, Jason Cripe, shot I-Report video in which Otis is fed the ball. The black, 1-year-old mixed breed is skeptical at first, but quickly warms to the football, walking around with it in his mouth.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/wayoflife/08/30/dog.vickball/index.html#cnnSTCVideo

"Get it, get it," Tyler says in the video, as he and his uncle laugh with glee.

Otis eventually chews it so hard the ball deflates.

Cripe says he gave the ball to his nephew as a Christmas present. It came in a clear case and it soon became the boy's "prized possession." Tyler, now 13, often used Windex to buff up the case, giving it a spit-clean shine.

But after the recent turn of events with Vick, the boy decided to get rid of it. After all, everyone in the Reab house loves animals and there was no place for Vick anymore, his dad said.

The chewed-up football is selling on eBay with a starting bid of 99 cents. The family has pledged to donate 100 percent of the proceeds to the Oregon Humane Society and Hope for Kids Foundation, a nonprofit organization that seeks to protect Oregon's after-school programs.

"I'm really proud of him," the father said of his son.

First Vick says he didnt know about it.

Second Vick says he knew about it but never did anything about it.

Third he is apologizing on espn after his courtdate was sentenced stating the fast that he was really sorry, well sorry for what? Knowing what was happening?? There was def more to the story then the public new.

Now he's saying he helped kill the dogs but didnt gamble..

This is a load of bull shit. He's guilty

Well he gets sentenced in December...we'll see. I'm guessing a year.

And I thought his apology was pretty weak. I know people said they thought he "seemed sincere" and I guess he did, but IMO the look of sincerity comes from the fact that he's sorry his career is in the toilet & he's off to jail; he never apologized for killing the dogs, or for anything specific in fact, other than setting a bad example for kids.

Im saying 2-3, and agreed, all it was, was about the children, nothing about saying that he was sorry about killing the dogs..

I bet you he still doesn't care, but I promise you he ain't gonna do it again..

I do think dog fighting is a very horrible thing. I also think this entire thing is being blown out of proportion. As far as I know, dog fighting isn't a huge thing in this country. The only reason it's been blown up so much is because a celebrity did it. Otherwise no one would really care. I guess that's just how the media works though.

And I think it's silly to say that people who enjoy dog fights would also enjoy seeing humans slaughtering eachother. Dogs and humans are different, you know.

yes dogs and humans are different, but the essense the ESSENSE of life is the same. How could someone find enjoyment out of one dog ripping another dog to shreds. How could someone be able to hold a struggling dog under the water until it died, or strangle it with a rope. Two beautiful dogs live accross the road from me, one of them a pitbull and he is the most loving, and gentle dog i've ever met. it turns my stomach that to some people, they'd enjoy seeing him bloody and torn and whimpering and possibly dead just so they can make some extra cash.

it is a big deal because its fucking horrible - and i don't think i'd feel worse if it was two men fighting - in fact, i felt the same way when they had those 'bum fights' with the poor homeless guys who'd fight for money or alcohol.
Its scary to think there are people out there that want to watch that. celebrity or not - its a sickening horrendous thing!

shart1780 said:
As far as I know, dog fighting isn't a huge thing in this country.

Sorry, you don't know much (on this) then. Dog fighting is HUGE. 1 out of 5 school kids in the Chicago area has participated in dog fighting. I don't know where you grew up and under what circumstances, but generally those that say "I don't get why it's such a big deal, it's really care" really have no business commenting b/c they are in the minority as far as where they got to live and having the luxury of not ever knowing about dog fighting (and all the crimes that come with it....).

The NFL lets wife beaters and murderers play, one of the guys who trampled all over the constitution resigns and won't serve one second in jail

What reigns in the media and in here ? dog fighting and same sex marriage in Iowa.

Vick ? Sure, put him away, yes, HE DESERVES IT. But it's a well known and documented 'hood activity which got absolutely no press until Vick was caught. This goes on, and will go on daily all over the US and we will never hear of it again.

I think once Vick goes to jail, the NFL and the government overal will be way more strict with NFL players...

Anyone think for the guys who tried to make this a racial case think that they have something to do with dog fighting?

Liesje said:

Sorry, you don't know much (on this) then. Dog fighting is HUGE. 1 out of 5 school kids in the Chicago area has participated in dog fighting.

1 out of 5????? No way, maybe 1-30 kids...No way can be out of 5, I know wayyy to much kids in the chicago area and im %110 positive they dont dog fight:huh:

tpsreports2424 said:
1 out of 5????? No way, maybe 1-30 kids...No way can be out of 5, I know wayyy to much kids in the chicago area and im %110 positive they dont dog fight:huh:

Yes, 1 of 5. Say you know 30 kids that don't dog fight....there are schools where everyone in the class is into dog fighting! It just depends on who you know, where you grew up.....but that was the point of the study, to show that it is HUGE and the only people that think it's not are people living in nice neighborhoods who have dogs as spoiled family pets, but that's not reality for the majority of people in this country.

tpsreports2424 said:

Taking the city population of 2,873,321 inhabitants, and 26.2% under the age of 18, according to wikipedia, twenty percent, or 1 out of 5, are 150,562 children.

Quite possible I would say.

Liesje said:

Sorry, you don't know much (on this) then. Dog fighting is HUGE. 1 out of 5 school kids in the Chicago area has participated in dog fighting.

I kind of doubt this is true as well.

It certainly doesn't make sense in light of national data. The BBC states that an estimated 40,000 people in the US participate in professional dog fighting with "tens of thousands more" having participated in amateur-style dog fighting. It's simply impossible that Chicago's 150,000 youth have participated in dog fighting unless they account for essentially 100% of dog fighting in the US.

Furthermore, from the ASPCA comes the number of "tens of thousands" across the USA.

The Humane Society has a figure of 40,000.

Last edited:
Well, if those figures were correct, than it doesn't really fit.
The 150,000 is kids from 0 to 18, but still if you took away all up to ten years of age it would be too high a number.
And, it's only the city population

I'm always suspicious of surveys like this because they're generally inaccurate. A lot of kids say "yes" because they want to seem cool and what not. It has been a long-held theory that the age of losing one's virginity is artificially low because it's based on self-reported data and nobody really wants to say 24, so they go with 16.

Liesje said:

Yes, 1 of 5. Say you know 30 kids that don't dog fight....there are schools where everyone in the class is into dog fighting! It just depends on who you know, where you grew up.....but that was the point of the study, to show that it is HUGE and the only people that think it's not are people living in nice neighborhoods who have dogs as spoiled family pets, but that's not reality for the majority of people in this country.

um I know this and its not like i dont know people who aren't "wealthy" in that matter

The study was introduced on a TV program so I don't have the numbers in front of me, but by "kids" they were talking about elementary school kids (so what is that like ages 5-14 or so?) and by "participation" they were mostly referring to stealing bait dogs or moving the fighting dogs to and from the pits but also included attending fights and tending to dogs after there was a fight. They often use children b/c people don't suspect or don't want to believe a child is being lured into that type of activity. Also, the pit fighting goes hand in hand with a lot of gang activity and lower level drug activity - things unfortunately very common in school age kids. Even if kids lied and it was more like 1 in 30 rather than 1 in 5, that's still disturbing (to me at least). At any rate, it's a much bigger problem than people thought before all this Michael Vick crap came to light. For those who've lived in the inner-city, you know which dogs have been in which fights, who to go to if you are interested in that sort of activity, and where to go if you want to see the fights take place. The attitude that "this CANT be happening" is laughed at by a lot of people b/c those that are participating at the lower levels LOVE it when people say that. It makes it so much easier for it to continue when no one wants to believe it does...

Whoopi Goldberg Defends Vick

NEW YORK -- Whoopi Goldberg started her stint on ABC's "The View" Tuesday by coming to the defense of convicted felon Michael Vick.

Just 15 minutes into the show she brought up Vick's conviction on dogfighting charges.

"You know from his background this is not an unusual thing for where he comes from," said Goldberg."There are certain things that are indicative to certain parts of our country."

Co-host Joy Behar seemed shocked at Goldberg's statements.

"How about dog torture and dog murdering," Behar asked.

"Unfortunately it's part of the thing," Goldberg replied. "You're a dog lover. For a lot of people dogs are sport," she added.

Behar continued to shake her head in disgust.Goldberg said it seemed to her that it took a while for Vick to realize that the charges against him were serious.

"It seemed like a light went off in his head when he realized that this was something the entire country really didn't appreciated, didn't like," Goldberg said, referring to Vick's guilty plea.

She said if the case had involved somebody from New York City her feelings would have been different.
Goldberg pointed out that Vick was raised in the South.

"This is part of his cultural upbringing," said Goldberg.
Co-host Elisabeth Hasselbeck said she was encouraged by the NFL suspending Vick indefinitely.

But Goldberg continued to defend Vick saying "This is a kid who comes from a culture when this is not questioned."

It was Goldberg's first day moderating the talk show. She took over from Rosie O'Donnell who quit the show earlier this year after feuds with Donald Trump and Hasselbeck.

Last month Vick entered a guilty plea in federal court in Richmond, Virginia

In his written plea, Vick admitted helping kill six to eight pit bulls and supplying money for gambling on the fights.

Vick will be sentenced on the dogfighting charges in December. The federal sentencing guideline projects a year to 18 months, but the judge can impose up to the five-year maximum.

Vick and three co-defendants, Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach, Quanis Phillips of Atlanta and Tony Taylor of Hampton all pleaded guilty to interstate dogfighting conspiracy charges.

The details outlined in the indictment and other court papers fueled a public backlash against Vick and cost him several lucrative endorsement deals, even before he agreed to plead guilty.

The case began in late April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided the former Virginia Tech star's rural Surry County property and seized dozens of dogs, some injured, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting.

Copyright 2007 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

"Sirius Black", - J.K. Rowling

Back
Top Bottom