Dog Fighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't think he's going to get off easy here. First of all, don't our Federal cases have like a 98% conviction rate? Also, like in dealing with drugs, dog fighting cases aren't made in a day. The authorities have probably had their eyes on him for a looooong time. In a lot of big cities, the PDs have undercover cops getting intel on dog fighting just like they would on drugs, gangs, organized crime rings, etc (probably because all of these activities are usually inter-related).

CTU2fan said:

And what the hell is a rape stand? And do I really want to know?

Pit bulls, amstaffs, and other bully breeds are *not* bred for human aggression, but people have historically selected in favor of dog aggression (whether their motives are protection, tenacity, dog fighting...). The rape stand is used for mating b/c trying to tie two dog aggressive dogs would result in injuries from a fight breaking out or injuries to genitalia from breaking a tie.

^ Ah OK. I understand the aggression issue, and I was under the impression that there was a lot of artificial insemination when breeding the bully types.

^ That's what I would hope, but I guess if you're only breeding for fighting (thus, to make yourself money at the expense of another's life), why spend all the extra on artificial insemination? Also, a lot of breeders (of all animals) prefer to do things naturally.

He's toast:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2007/08/14/vick_0815.html

Apparently part of the superceding indictment coming down is going to include organized gambling. That will get him a lifetime ban from the NFL in all likelyhood more than the actual dog fighting would.

Of course, if the superceding indictment is a RICO as expected, old Ron Mexico may just be too old to play football once he gets out of prison.

Last edited:
Liesje said:
I really don't think he's going to get off easy here. First of all, don't our Federal cases have like a 98% conviction rate? Also, like in dealing with drugs, dog fighting cases aren't made in a day. The authorities have probably had their eyes on him for a looooong time. In a lot of big cities, the PDs have undercover cops getting intel on dog fighting just like they would on drugs, gangs, organized crime rings, etc (probably because all of these activities are usually inter-related).

Exactly. Wasn't his involvement with dog fighting first brought up in 2006?

unico said:

What do you mean by this?

Vick has gone through how many QB coaches? How many different offenses?

It seems every year is the year that Mike makes the transistion to a good NFL QB, not a great running QB.

It's been speculated that he's never really put in the effort to work on his passing skills, and therefore, a lot of the playbook is thrown out because he can't make the reads. Vick isn't getting any younger, and when his legs go, so does his value to the game. It's really too bad from football spectator view, as Vick was one of the most exciting players to watch.

Also, ESPN has pretty much avoided the topic of Gambling in this case. The NFL has just now started making comments about it. The NFL is more concerned with this aspect than it is the dog fighting. If Mike is convicted of the gambling, you can probably bet that he will receive a life time band from the game....

kafrun said:

You just really have to be worried that people that enjoy this stuff live amomg us :|

I learned that early. When I was a kid, some of my classmates would actually delight in shooting squirrels after school with their pellet guns. It's pretty sad when you have more respect for a squirrel than for a fellow human being. Personally, I think it all starts from youth, and just how kids are raised. This person is clearly an asshole, but chances are his father was one before him. People like this need counselling and behavioural therapy to ensure the asshole chain is broken.

Specifically, in Vick's case, I'd say screw the jail time...instead, he should be forced to work in an SPCA shelter full-time for a few years.

BEAL said:
Vick has gone through how many QB coaches? How many different offenses?

I've no idea. I stopped following his football career after he left school. I only know what I know about him from when we were both at school. So...yeah, a lot of my responses about his game are like 7 years old and irrevalent. Fuck, I didn't even realize it has been that long :huh: I'm old.

and i agree, i think he should work for an spca! i think that's a great idea.

I think we shoudl take vick to an isolation room and feed him kibbles and bits.

(CNN) -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick has accepted a plea deal that could send him to prison, ending a federal dogfighting prosecution that jeopardizes his pro football career, his lawyers said.

Vick will plead guilty to felony conspiracy next Monday, his defense attorneys said.

A status conference on the case is set for 3 p.m. Monday in U.S. District Court in Richmond, Virginia. The court's docket shows that Vick will appear again next Monday morning before Judge Henry E. Hudson for a plea agreement hearing.

The U.S. Attorney's office said it is not commenting. All news of the plea agreement came from the defense.

"After consulting with his family over the weekend, Michael Vick asks that I announce today that he has reached an agreement with federal prosecutors regarding the charges pending against him," lead defense attorney Billy Martin said in a statement.

"Mr. Vick has agreed to enter a plea of guilty to those charges and to accept full responsibility for his action and the mistakes he has made. Michael wishes to apologize again to everyone who has been hurt by this matter," Martin's statement said.

Vick's attorneys have been negotiating with federal prosecutors over terms of the deal, which must be approved by the judge. While prosecutors can recommend a sentence, the decision ultimately rests with the judge.

The plea would help Vick avoid additional federal charges.

Federal prosecutors had offered a deal recommending an 18- to 36-month prison sentence. Vick's attorneys were trying to reduce that to less than a year, two sources told CNN earlier on Monday.

It was not immediately clear whether Vick's attorneys have heard back Monday from National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell's office. They wanted to clarify Vick's career options before entering into any deal with federal prosecutors, the sources said.

Vick's three codefendants in the dogfighting case have accepted agreements to plead guilty in exchange for reduced sentences.

If Vick backs out of the deal, he could face additional charges in the case when the grand jury convenes in Richmond. See a timeline of the case against Vick »

The NFL is considering what, if any, sanctions they should impose on the 27-year-old suspended Atlanta Falcons player.

Court documents released last week showed that two of Vick's alleged partners said he helped kill dogs that didn't fight well, and that all three men "executed approximately eight dogs" in ways that included hanging and drowning.

The dogs were killed because they fared poorly in "testing" sessions in April at Vick's property in Virginia where the dogfighting venture was based, according to documents released following plea agreement hearings Friday for Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, and Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta. See what Vick's former co-defendants admitted »

A third man, Tony Taylor, 34, of Hampton, Virginia, already had his plea deal approved.

In the court documents, Peace and Phillips said that the money behind the Bad Newz Kennels dogfighting operation came "almost exclusively" from Vick, and they told prosecutors that other accusations in the 18-page indictment are true.

U2democrat said:
He deserves life in prison.

Hardly

Life isn't even given to rapists or murderers like Leonard Little who is still in the league.

What he did was horrible, but it's not like he took a HUMAN life.......

The NFL should impose a lifetime ban on him. Cruelty to animals is definitely a sign of a person missing a piece of their humanity especially in this case.

He deserves:

• Lifetime suspension from the NFL
  • 3-5 years in prison
  • An hour alone in a room with a pack of angry dogs

:up:

toscano said:

What he did was horrible, but it's not like he took a HUMAN life.......

Yeah instead he took over 15 dog's:eyebrow:

wtf?:|

His lawyers are pushing 12-18 months, but I hope the judge gives him 5 years..He had it all, a lot of money, respect, and a great career..insdtead he throws it away...

what a fucking dumbass.

Also like to say he should spend a lot of money towars PETA and help out a lot during animal shelters..

I dont think he'll get a big suspension from the nfl at all, but no teams are going to take him, no way after what he did..

THE MADDEN CURSE CONTINUES!

madden20nfl20200420gcjo5.jpg

tpsreports2424 said:
Also like to say he should spend a lot of money towars PETA and help out a lot during animal shelters..

HSUS or the SPCA might be a better choice. PETA seeks to kill all pit bulls. :ohmy:

tpsreports2424 said:

Yeah instead he took over 15 dog's:eyebrow:

wtf?:|

So 15 dogs > 1 human ??

Look, I'm not saying what he did wasn't horrendous, btu it could be a thousand dogs and it still doesn't equate to Leonard Little killing a Loving Wife/Mother to a family while drunk behind the wheel and then having the audacity to busted for DUI AGAIN and STILL be playing in the NFL, if that were you or I we'd STILL be behind bars.

trevster2k said:
The NFL should impose a lifetime ban on him. Cruelty to animals is definitely a sign of a person missing a piece of their humanity especially in this case.

In my opinion anyone who could do such horrific things to animals could very easily do the same or worse to humans. Research on serial killers has proven the connection.

No doubt about it that the NFL doesn't seem to take violence against women as seriously, for one example. But that is still no excuse for not taking serious action in his case. Animals can't even attempt to defend themselves. Humanity is judged by how we treat the defenseless, be they human or animal. And by how we punish those who mistreat them.

Back
Top Bottom